Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Default derby at gull

does anyone know anything about the derby at gull this weekend? where when and how much to enter?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Gull Lake Derby.....

Was talking to a friend while fishing at Gull two days ago....he fishes the derby every year. The derby is held at Wilson Beach on the east side of the lake towards the south end. You access it from the paved highway that runs north/south a ways east of the lake. You get to that highway by going either east on hwy. 53? west of Ponoka to Chestermire Store then south, or else west on hwy. 12 from Lacombe to just east of the Gull Lake village and then north. I'm sure there will be signs where to turn off the north south road to the Lake. I believe the cost is $80 per person for one hole, and you can buy a second hole for your own use for an additional $40.00. Usually the main species caught is burbot, with some pike and whitefish. Apparently the latter are not plentiful, but a few get caught every year. I don't think you can use tents, but apparently it's okay to pull a blanket or jacket over your head to see down the hole. Certainly I would dress very warm as if the wind is blowing it could be cold even if the temperature isn't too low. One more thing.........I was told you need a cooler to put water in to hold any fish you catch until it/they can be weighed and released. I'm not sure about that, but it would be best to be prepared. Good Luck & let us know how you make out. I think you can register at the lake.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 AM

http://www.originalicefishingcontest.com/alberta.htm
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 AM

its $75 dollars per hole no discount on the second hole

and on a side note DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY
my freind and i went last year and it was a comple clust fcuk poorly orginized and run 3000 people fishing and like 118 fish caught its on a beach part of the lake worst place on th lake to fish
it was mostly a bunch of drunks making fools of themselves
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 AM

On another note, if you do not want to stand in line behind 3000 people to get your hole, better start packing up now, and think about heading out, cause people start lining up Friday morning.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Default !!!

ALL OF THE ABOVE...that's why i DON'T enter tourneys.
in my experience, they bring out the WORST types of anglers...the greedy, don't care about anything but money, law-breaking kind.
the same kind who are probably ok with drinking and driving and poaching. probably all while littering and ice fishing.
there's a few BIG tourneys going on this weekend (canadian family day long weekend)
and you won't find me anywhere near them!!!!
been to a few and it's basically a horde of trash-leavin' drunks with no common etiquette.
should be illegal I.M.O.
my $0.02...gw.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
ALL OF THE ABOVE...that's why i DON'T enter tourneys.
in my experience, they bring out the WORST types of anglers...the greedy, don't care about anything but money, law-breaking kind.
the same kind who are probably ok with drinking and driving and poaching. probably all while littering and ice fishing.
there's a few BIG tourneys going on this weekend (canadian family day long weekend)
and you won't find me anywhere near them!!!!
been to a few and it's basically a horde of trash-leavin' drunks with no common etiquette.
should be illegal I.M.O.
my $0.02...gw.
I've never entered a derby, but I really think that is unfair to say about those who do. Don't let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Default !!!

hey mish...i can tell you've never been in one 'cuz you're defending them!!!!
you have no idea how bad it is!!!!!
but you have a good point. i apologize to any participating board members. i, of course DON'T mean YOU!!!!
hope you all slay and have a blast.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
TundraBuck

Yes wildman I agree with you 100%. Derbies are a gong show. The only one I fish is the one at Cow Lake, because you can do what you want and there isnt any bloody rules or pre-drilled holes.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM

was thinking of going but everyone i talked to said it was a gong show last year and wasn't worth going back.hows cow lake never fished it? maby head down there.cann't be that much farther than gull from edmonton try some place new.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
TundraBuck

It's about an hour give or take from Gull.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
TundraBuck

Sorry, it'd actually be about 90 minutes. It all depends which way you go.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 PM

i'll be down that way hopefully sunday. have to leave edmonton at 5 to get there for around 7.