Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Spray lakes tomorrow....any tips?

Taking the g/f to Spray tomorrow near Canmore. Any tips for increasing the catch? I have some white tube jigs, regular white jigs, and some small smelts.

I hear a few houndred yards from the driftwood boat launch is quite popular. Any preferred depth? I've been told 40-60 feet should work. I have never ice fished for lakers before, should my jig be near the bottom, or does it matter?

And any info on ice thickness? I picked up a 12" extention for the jiffy just in case. If anyone is heading out tomorrow, we will be in a 4 man ice cube, come by and say hi.

We'll be the ones with the little Yorkie Terrier....unless he falls in a hole.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
TundraBuck

Put the yorkie on the hook, then you may hook into one of those beasts from the icy depths of Spray Lakes. I fished there once, through the ice, and used my MarCum flasher. We landed about 8 lakers between 3 of us, biggest being about 25 inches. Not very big but something different. We fished in about 82 ft of water.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Default spray

Well made it out today. Got out there way too late and fished from 11:30 till about 3:30. Next time I will be there at fisrt light and fish till about 1pm.

Anyways, I drilled a few holes, set up the tent, got real comfortable, looked down the hole and realized I was in about 6 feet of water, directly above the concrete boat launch blocks.

Move out another 100 yards, repeat previous steps, and now I am in 23 feet of water. Damnit!! Too lazy to move a 3rd time.

Water is crystal clear. Saw 5 fish, landed 2, and the g/f lost one at the hole. Not too bad to have hooked 3 considering I was staring down the hole the entire time and only saw 5 all day.

Largest laker about 2 lbs at most. Fun none-the-less. White bucktail jig tipped with a smelt head seemed to work.

Next time I will try and get into the 40+ water.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
TundraBuck

No kidding fish in 23 feet this time of year? Cool.