Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
Yep, if you had read the entire post you would have realized that
I already posted that. If you had read what you posted youd also
realize that the ingredients you listed are only ingredients that are hazardous........its not entirely made of just that.
Listen to yourself. The ingredients I listed were only the hazardous ones. Thats because they are the ones we don't want put into the water.

Quote:
Im guessing that you dont own a boat?
If you did, it would be a tad hypocritical to jump all over this.
Nope, no boat, and no gas auger either. Companies are now making motors that are less polluting. You are blatently poisoning the water.
But we are not talking boats.

Quote:

This is all quite comical to me......drive a boat that pollutes the water, lose baits that are coated and made of toxic chemicals and sometimes heavy metals, take a leak off the side of the boat, hook a fish anywhere in the mouth, dont kill it right away ( please see http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=10461 )

But get on someones case for using WD40

In an earlier post you said you haven't read up on the regs, well I suggest you do. If you and your guides in Ontario use WD-40 as an attractant then so be it, but it is not one in Alberta. And if your so sure that it is not wrong to do, PM me your name and address and I will forward it on to SRD and we will see what the fish cops have to say about it.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
KyleM

PM sent with more then youll need to contact me.

I suggest doing some research on the subject before you bother
wasting anyones time (including mine). Looking up the MSDS list dosnt exactly count
as being an expert on the topic.

I believe if you look into it, youll see that many magazines over the years have written articles on it (In-Fisherman mainly). Not to mention thousands of fisherman using it on their line to prevent twisting.

Ive never used it on any of my little adventures with guests either...it was a little tip I thought Id share with the crowd here. I thought I had covered my ass with some of the comments I made in the original post (which were made for people like you).

Last edited by KyleM; 02-12-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
KyleM

Just an example....

Outdoor Canada

Written by Gord Pyzer, an established researcher and angler with more time logged on the water then you and I combined.

Quote:
No time to hit the tackle shop? You could try a few do-it-yourself solutions. One of the most popular—and pungent—fish attractants happens to be garlic. Many anglers, especially those who fish bass tournaments, swear by it. Stranger still, some fishermen praise the merits of Preparation H as a surefire fish attractant. I know several anglers who insist on lubricating their lures with the hemorrhoid cream. It seems one of the active ingredients in Preparation H—shark liver oil—turns the fish on. Fish also appear to like the scent of WD-40. Some salmon fishing guides in B.C., for example, spray their lures with the lubricant to catch fish. WD-40 is also popular with mid-western walleye pros. The secret? One of WD-40’s active ingredients is herring oil. Clearly, such naturally occurring oils are a good bet for attracting fish—whether they’re hungry or not.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
PM sent with more then youll need to contact me.

I suggest doing some research on the subject before you bother
wasting anyones time. Looking up the MSDS list dosnt exactly count
as being an expert on the topic.

I believe if you look into it, youll see that many magazines over the years have written articles on it (In-Fisherman mainly). Not to mention thousands of fisherman using it on their line to prevent twisting.

Ive never used it on any of my little adventures with guests either...it was a little tip I thought Id share with the crowd here. I thought I had covered my ass with some of the comments I made in the original post (which were made for people like you).
That MSDS seems to support what he is saying. Having an opinion (Kyle) without any support makes you no expert yourself. Maybe provide us something that supports your claim. I might listen to you then. Right now it's all your opinion.

I do see the MSDS supports your claim that it is no carcinogenic, that is interesting to learn. It looks pretty toxic otherwise.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 PM

And some guy who has been fishing for a looong time does it so it must be ok.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
And some guy who has been fishing for a looong time does it so it must be ok.
Haha, and its made of Herring oil! It must be ok!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM

I beleive WD 40 is not allowed in the BC interior as noted in the regs, but is there any such clause in AB?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigshanks View Post
For the love of god. If you are going to use the stuff for fishing, at least have the f*****g brains to know what it is made out of.

NO SHRIMP OIL
NO FISH OIL.

It is made with

STODDARD SOLVENT
PETROLEUM BASE OIL
CARBON DIOXIDE.

Here is the link to the MSDS for WD-40.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds....canada.eg.pdf

Read up on it and if you still think it is ok to use as a fish attractant then email the closes SRD office and ask them what their take on it is.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlif...%20webview.pdf
Take a pill little feller and please show where in the regs. that it is not allowed for use in AB. I said GC had mentioned that it contained shrimp oil. GP mentioned that it contains herring oil, not that it is made of 100% of either one just that there is enough that it brings in the fish. And if you're going to waste a PM on me please wash the sand outa yer vagina first.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 PM

As per the email that I sent to Sustainable Resourses, here is the reply

This product is a petroleum based compound and as such would be viewed as a pollutant. Its use as an attractant would be considered to be illegal for reasons that pursuant to Section 36.(3) of the Canadian Fisheries Act,

(3) Subject to subsection (4), no person shall deposit or permit the deposit of a deleterious substance of any type in water frequented by fish or in any place under any conditions where the deleterious substance or any other deleterious substance that results from the deposit of the deleterious substance may enter any such water.

For more information on this or any other fish and wildlife related question, please contact your local Fish and Wildlife District office. For office contact information assistance dial 310-0000 in Alberta.

If you are aware of a fish or wildlife resource related violation, we encourage you to report such incidents to the nearest Fish and Wildlife district office or the 24 hour Report a Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800. Callers to the RAP line can remain anonymous. If the information provided concerns a resource violation and results in the laying of a charge, the reporter may be eligible for a reward.

Thanks,

J**** R********
Information Centre
Sustainable Resource Development
9920 - 108 Street Edmonton, Alberta
(780)422-2079 FAX (780)427-4407

No need for me to take a pill, and if it makes you feel any better, it is not written in plain English in the Alberta Regs, but like the email says, It is found in the Canadian Fishing Act http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-14/
which in laymans terms means WD-40 is illegal to use in any and all Canadian Waters.

I really hope that you reconsider using WD-40 as an attractant. With legitimate products available to use, why risk it? And if your an ethical fisherman, why use it?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
KyleM

Well they better start nailing everyone driving boats because like I said, they are all depositing "deleterious substances" into the water.

So are the fisherman.

So are the hunters.

That includes all of us on the board minus the PETA and Animal Rights idiots.

That reg is such a massive grey area, Id like to see the exact recipes to a lot of the regular fish attractants and maybe compare them to WD40.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Big difference between depositing a substance and using it to protect equipment which is just how the west coasters stumbled upon it after flushing salt with fresh water and spraying WD to get the water out.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:43 PM

Wasn't this post about freaking beef heart??????????????????????????
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Big difference between depositing a substance and using it to protect equipment which is just how the west coasters stumbled upon it after flushing salt with fresh water and spraying WD to get the water out.

The facts are the facts. Get caught putting it the water whether as an "attractant" or a "protectant" still gets a fine!

Nuff said!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigshanks View Post
The facts are the facts. Get caught putting it the water whether as an "attractant" or a "protectant" still gets a fine!

Nuff said!
Yep a fine catch of fish, it's not like unlawful dumping.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM

i own a boat and deposit nothing into the water...why u so down on the boat owner??wd 40 may work but it is a poison so dont use it..not hard...if you do then your helping to destroy our lakes so our children will not be able to use them..
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 PM
KyleM

Is it a boat with any sort of motor?