Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Pigeon Lake First Timer Please Help

Hi all,

I am taking my family camping at Pigeon Lake provincial park at the end of July and have never been to this lake before. And thus the reason for this thread.

If anyone can help with a few answers to my questions, it would be very greatly appreciated.

I have a small fishing boat though the lady that booked me in said she did not recommend leaving it in the water and said I should trailer it at the end of each day. Is this true? Has anyone camped here and is it not possible to pull it up on the sand and leave it in for the week? With a small kid I like to head in and out several times in a day and having to trailer it each time will bite.

I have read on here that the lake is full of Walleye which is awesome and has me very excited. Are there any special places where the fishing is better and what techniques do most use to catch em at this lake? I have a map that says the beach names etc. Trolling bottom bouncers or jigging? Bait or plastic stuff?

If you don’t mind sharing a little info on this lake everyone talks about it would be greatly appreciated. Hey even if anyone has any pictures of this lake that would be awesome too as I really have no idea what it may be like there.

Thanks in advance and good luck out there this summer.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeDeitz View Post
Hi all,

I am taking my family camping at Pigeon Lake provincial park at the end of July and have never been to this lake before. And thus the reason for this thread.

If anyone can help with a few answers to my questions, it would be very greatly appreciated.

I have a small fishing boat though the lady that booked me in said she did not recommend leaving it in the water and said I should trailer it at the end of each day. Is this true? Has anyone camped here and is it not possible to pull it up on the sand and leave it in for the week? With a small kid I like to head in and out several times in a day and having to trailer it each time will bite.

I have read on here that the lake is full of Walleye which is awesome and has me very excited. Are there any special places where the fishing is better and what techniques do most use to catch em at this lake? I have a map that says the beach names etc. Trolling bottom bouncers or jigging? Bait or plastic stuff?

If you don’t mind sharing a little info on this lake everyone talks about it would be greatly appreciated. Hey even if anyone has any pictures of this lake that would be awesome too as I really have no idea what it may be like there.

Thanks in advance and good luck out there this summer.

Regards,

Jeff
i wouldn't leave the boat on the water at Pigeon, not at the concrete dock anyway.

as for fishing hot spot, you can't miss it just look straight out from the provincal launch. always about 20+ boats out there.

if you're like me and not a big fan of fishing 30 feet from each others, you can try bottom bouncer around the lake edge.

good luck fishing.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Straight out from the provincial boat launch with a jig and whatever on the end (frozen minnows work best) and you will be pulling the walleyes in no problem. You could pull your boat up during the day but I definitely would not leave it in over night as the winds can come up and swamp or beat the crap out of your boat on shore. Seen a few done in that way there.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

If you are staying at the Provincial Campground, everyone is correct, do not leave it in the water there, too much boat traffic and really not enough room. I showed up there early one morning and someone had left a boat tied to the big pier there overnight, wind was up and boat was swamped and resting on the bottom. You can pull it up anywhere West of Boat launch and West of beach, only thing there is a bit rocky, but has a bit of cover with pencil weeds. So if your campsite is somewhat close to the water, that would be your best bet for leaving it in during the day, would not recommend overnight, but thats your call!
Good Luck
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Well,

..you said you have a 'small fishing' boat so that means that you can likely and 'easily' drag it quite a ways. You'll be fine for leaving it out during the day. I've been there a number of times and have seen many 14 footers pulled up entirely on the shore, even overnight for the whole time I was out there so....

Having said that, to the West of the Swimming area is where I would pull it up. There's a bit of traffic around there so your boat should be fine. Of course common sense prevails, don't leave anything of value in the boat, that's all...

For peace of mind, simply trailer it in the evenings and then take it back when you first decide to go fishing again... At least this way, if you decide not to go fishing first thing in the AM, you can go into town and get some breakfast or Lunch or whatever and not have to worry about it sitting at the shore while you're gone all day.

Just my .02

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the replys guys, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

out by the provincial park is good, but it was too crowded for us. We explored and went south of there and we caught 50

you'll have fun
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM

You wanna just go out and fish with all the boats to the left of the provincial park then u can enjoy the afternoon with 50 other people. One can catch just as many by trolling for a few minutes and finding a spot along the shoreline. You can catch a few hammerhandles that way to. I do both, as sometimes I am anti-social and sometimes its kinda neat to watch 15 people all catch fish at the same time. I challenge my self with different set-ups. Trolling a crank or a spoon is my fav, jigging with a minnow gets ols after 30 or so fish.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Heading Out

I am also a first time Pigeon Lake guy. We will be going on Wednesday morning for four nights stay. Im looking forward to catching some fish,and having fun with the family. Staying at the provincial campground.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

i also caught a pretty long jack in 22 feet of water jigging... it stank like crap though...i don't know why
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Sorry to but in; but, are there not other boat launches on Pigeon? Anybody recommend them if you're not camping at the Provicial Park?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 AM

i despise the launch at the provincial park....maybe the tough economic times will make it better this year...keep all the weekend warriors at home

weekends are a zoo there unless you get out early in the AM.

Im also interested if there is a better option to launch from...even if its not as nice....i can deal with a shallow launch better than i can deal with teenagers with sea-doo's that cant back a trailer into the water if their life depends on it
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i despise the launch at the provincial park....maybe the tough economic times will make it better this year...keep all the weekend warriors at home

weekends are a zoo there unless you get out early in the AM.

Im also interested if there is a better option to launch from...even if its not as nice....i can deal with a shallow launch better than i can deal with teenagers with sea-doo's that cant back a trailer into the water if their life depends on it
Sounds similar to the breakers at sylvan.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Hey TroutGuy let me know how you make out and better yet, send a few pictures this way.

Good luck