Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Default ES3 Lake recommendation?

I'm heading from Edmotnon to Jasper at the end of the month and want to stop and wet a line on the way. Any recomendations on where to stop that is close to Hwy 16 or even in the park itself near Jasper? Species is not important, just want to have a decent chance at catching something. I have always wanted to try Obed lake but I am not even sure what kind of trout are in there (browns?) and if its a hike to get to or not?
Any opinions, directions or tips on where to try would be helpful. Thanks!
kidd
Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Obed used to have rainbows.........many years ago. Not sure about now. You could call the Fish & Wildlife office in Hinton (it's a free call through the gov't RITE operator). They would be able to tell you what's in there & how to access it. It's been too many years for me to remember. Also, Chip Lake (right along the highway near Wildwood) has lots of pike & burbot. Have heard about some large pike there, but suspect there are many smaller ones for each large one. Edson F&W (or perhaps Evansburg) would be able to tell you more. If you call Hinton, you could ask about Wildhorse Lakes. I did some test netting there years ago and it had lots of large rainbows. Don't know how it is now. About the only other thing that comes to mind is closer to Edmonton at Wabamun. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Obed does have Browns in it, TOUGH lake though. Obed also has some perch and they might give you better entertainment, if you can find them. Have you considered Millers lake? Lots of rainbows, some good ones too and also the odd brown. It's right beside the highway on your right if you're heading west, about 5-10 minutes past Edson. It's always been pretty good to me summer and winter.

Best of luck,

Ayr.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will stop and try Obed, unless I can think of a place along the way for Perch. I trid Hasse befor eht ecold snap we had and got skunked.
I will post the reults.
kidd