Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Question Gun Safe regulations?

im looking to build a wooden gun cabinet, i would put a lock on the door and all. i would also try to put some glass panels on the doors? what are the regs for gun safes? is there anything else that im missing that should be done?
oh, and is there is any good pictures/ideas for the cabinet?
thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Safes

Great post - I've been thinking about building a safe myself. Important question: do you want a safe for long guns and / or hand guns? Hand guns have an extra security requirement.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
Great post - I've been thinking about building a safe myself. Important question: do you want a safe for long guns and / or hand guns? Hand guns have an extra security requirement.
Nope, i would just be making it for my rifles/shotguns, would they have any additional security requirements?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

Default excellent question

I would really like to hear from a legal expert on exactly what would prevent a careless storage scenario. From anything I have read there are no exact requirements, just a bunch of grey area mumbo jumbo that can be interpreted by whoever.

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/199...3scr3-103.html

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/Jon...gan200603.html

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/Mags/hid...un-storage.htm

As these incidents indicate...the police and crown can make your life a living hell if they decide to. It would be nice to have an exact legal definition of what constitutes "careless" storage.

Anyone??

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

"Lock the firearm in a container or room that is "hard" to break into." quotes mine...wtf? What is "hard"?? If I can open it with a crowbar is that easy to break into? If all it takes is 9 hours working on it with an oxy-acetylene torch...is that hard or easy? It all depends on the police that you get and the judge you get. Get some anti-gun cops and an anti-gun judge and you could be up crap creek.

Here is the actual act...

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-98...nchorbo-ga:s_5

STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

Last edited by rugatika; 06-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Well if you have a trigger lock on all of your unrestricted firearms, then there is no additional security requirements. Make the display case as ornate and beautiful as you want.

Likewise if it is in an office or other type of lockable room (and likely should not be on the ground floor with a large window), again there is no further requirement for added security (from a legal perspective).

That being said, most people I know have a method for "locking" it onto the rack, either with a bar/cable/door.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
That explains it pretty clearly...

Btw, the way I was told for the safes, that if it requires tools to break into it meets the criteria of "constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into"
Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Here's a thread I did a while back on the same topic.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=19645