Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 09:14 AM

Default We only have ourselves to blame

It is a worthwhile to pay attention to the number of views on subjects.
The numbers demonstrate why our fishing is f….Ed.

Don
Old 01-23-2022, 10:00 AM

I dunno, especially this forum section. Not many fly fishers pay attention to this site and even fewer that don't fly fish. Vast majority of fly fishers on AO are stocked pond/lake fly fishers, the rest are bait and lure fishermen, of which many view stream/river fly fishermen as elitists and don't give a damn...unfortunately.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Even though I first started fly fishing at around 8 years old, targeted many different species and an accomplished fly tier I don’t care for the attitude a lot of fly fishermen have.

I also don’t care for over dramatized videos that pick and choose factors that are part of large problems. If you want to get peoples attention on issues presentation plays a roll and if it comes off as annoying people don’t want to acknowledge what you are trying to say

I don’t contribute in the fly fishing section often because I would likely offend too many people
Old 01-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Even though I first started fly fishing at around 8 years old, targeted many different species and an accomplished fly tier I don’t care for the attitude a lot of fly fishermen have.

I also don’t care for over dramatized videos that pick and choose factors that are part of large problems. If you want to get peoples attention on issues presentation plays a roll and if it comes off as annoying people don’t want to acknowledge what you are trying to say

I don’t contribute in the fly fishing section often because I would likely offend too many people
Yup. you just did! And what's the definition of an accomplished fly tier?
Old 01-23-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Yup. you just did! And what's the definition of an accomplished fly tier?
Tied for guides(from BC to Florida)and shops in the past. Was also asked often to do demonstrations in the past as well. I don’t need to follow others patterns and have no issues creating flies outside of general patterns. Very good at creating patterns for species not commonly targeted.

Not enough profit in it for me vs other lures so put it aside except for personal now or for friends

Let’s just say I am above average when it comes to to both fly tying and lure making in general. But I put in my dues to get good at it

But that doesn’t really matter and odds are your just looking for something to pick at lol
Old 01-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Look at that, another derail.

How about we pay attention to disease, water usage, invasive species, land use and forget what boots are best and the knee jerk reaction to a guide fee.

Naw, back to regular programming!

Don
Old 01-23-2022, 02:53 PM

Not sure I understand your gripe. I like fly fishing. Come to this forum and read your posts but like most others here, do not have any practical solutions for some of the major threats to our waters (just offered up a grass roots fix on another of your threads). That said, I still appreciate you and others bringing issues to the forefront. I like prairie but don’t live nearby to see people pumping water out. Nothing wrong with identifying a problem but even better if one has a proposed solution as well. I’ve got nothing against threads on what gear to buy/use either. Spring is a long way off and anything to pass the time I guess.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:49 PM

Not really following what the point is.
I believe your saying there’s lots of people looking through the window but not setting foot inside? Not enough people volunteering for habitat organizations or raising their voices over other concerns?
Correct?
Or are you just specifically talking about aof fly fishing section?
Old 01-23-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Look at that, another derail.

How about we pay attention to disease, water usage, invasive species, land use and forget what boots are best and the knee jerk reaction to a guide fee.

Naw, back to regular programming!

Don
Totally agree, I don't fly fish that much,when I do its usually with a dry fly(really the only kind I enjoy) However all of the issues you bring up relate to our waters in general.I can remember 30+ years ago watching them pump water out of Staufer Creek into a truck for spraying on the road.

Its time that our steams,rivers and lakes were truly protected from cows,pollution water extraction and useless dams. The government of Alberta cares little about the environment.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:40 AM

Our apathy is killing our fisheries.

Or

We got what we voted for.

Don
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Our apathy is killing our fisheries.

Or

We got what we voted for.

Don
Problem is there really isn’t a decent option to vote for, one side wants to ban us from going anywhere near the wilderness, the other side seems to not care about the wilderness. As individuals there is only so much a fellow can do, try your best and that’s what you can do
Old 01-24-2022, 05:05 PM

If you want to do something and don't know where to start, the best option is to stop fishing said water.
It takes no email, no club to join, no impacts to your schedule.
We all know which waters are having a tough time.
Take the opportunity to fish generally unknown waters, learn something new.
There is no reason we can't give the old man system a break.

If that's to radical, switch to systems that are less productive.
I switched to a single fly in all Alberta fishing instances 6 seasons ago, and I mean the same fly... I fish only one fly. This has dramatically dropped my catch rate, however I feel as though I have become a much better angler.

I got out for around 130 fishing instances last season, its guys like me doing the most harm, if we are to believe the key issue is angling pressure.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:11 AM

Many years ago the Regional Biologist for the Rocky area Nel Kraft now retired told me that there were only two things that would permanently destroy trout fishing,
1) diseases - guess what WD is doing a hell of a job
2) lack of water - frac water extraction in smaller streams will finish them off.

Don