Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Default tiny gregoire lake pike

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could tell me why the fish in gregoire lake, south of fort mcmurray, are so small. There seems to be an abundance of pike and walleye, but they dont seem to get big.

Winter kill? Overfished? Not enough food for big ones? Too shallow?

I dont think many people keep the pike out of gregoire and the walleye limit is zero. I look at wabamun with its big juicy gators and i cant help but wonder why gregoire doesnt thrive. I have heard from a couple different fort mac long timers that there used to be 30 pounders in there 20-30 years ago
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

There are still some bigger fish coming out of Gregoire every year, I just haven't heard of any this year yet....
Cat
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if someone could tell me why the fish in gregoire lake, south of fort mcmurray, are so small. There seems to be an abundance of pike and walleye, but they dont seem to get big.

Winter kill? Overfished? Not enough food for big ones? Too shallow?

I dont think many people keep the pike out of gregoire and the walleye limit is zero. I look at wabamun with its big juicy gators and i cant help but wonder why gregoire doesnt thrive. I have heard from a couple different fort mac long timers that there used to be 30 pounders in there 20-30 years ago
I just ran into a guy from greenpeace and he says it's cause of the oil sands. hahahahaha
Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are still some bigger fish coming out of Gregoire every year, I just haven't heard of any this year yet....
Cat
How big are we talking here though? Every one i catch is a hammer handle i caught one bigger one there a couple years ago but it was still oddly skinny. It didnt look very healthy. Prolly only 4 or 5 pounds
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
How big are we talking here though? Every one i catch is a hammer handle i caught one bigger one there a couple years ago but it was still oddly skinny. It didnt look very healthy. Prolly only 4 or 5 pounds
There have been a few that went an honest 15 lbs. in the last years that I saw, and one that would touch 20.
Not my fish, someone else's....
Cat
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There have been a few that went an honest 15 lbs. in the last years that I saw, and one that would touch 20.
Not my fish, someone else's....
Cat
Oh wow! Would love to see some pics of big fish pulled from gregoire if anyone has any
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Here is the monster i was talking about.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 PM

There is an abundance of food in that lake, and I'm puzzled as to why they figured the walleye limit should be zero, as I have never had a problem catching them there.
Funny thing is, when they were doing studies, the people doing it were packing up whenever my friends and were heading out, and when we came back in the dark, they were gone.
Middle of the afternoon is a not a good time to do a survey of fish caught in that lake.
Cat