Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Aussies want to ice fish, i need help

My son has just had two friends from Hobart, Tasmania arrive in Edmonton for a week. they would like to try ice fishing. As I have not ice fished in over thirty years I need some suggestions as to where to go and what to use. We are not fussy about what we fish for and have limited time so close to Edmonton SW is important.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM

go to wabamun you can't keep any but you will almost certainly catch a few big pike
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwo View Post
My son has just had two friends from Hobart, Tasmania arrive in Edmonton for a week. they would like to try ice fishing. As I have not ice fished in over thirty years I need some suggestions as to where to go and what to use. We are not fussy about what we fish for and have limited time so close to Edmonton SW is important.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
This may sound like a broken record... but Nakamun is where I would go. It is roughly 1-1.5 hours out of the city. You won't be catching any monster perch, but the fish are average sized, and if you find the right spot, the action can be good all day. I find for people new to ice fishing, steady action tends to be more important than monster fish. There's nothing more fun to people new to ice fishing than watching the tips of their rods bouncing. I've had good luck north of the lake, just off the point where the camp is, in about 20-24 fow. Ice is safe to drive on as well, there were plenty of full size trucks crossing the lake a week ago. I'd imagine the ice is even better now.

Wab can be good and the fish are definitely bigger, but you may find yourself sitting around for awhile waiting for a strike.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Get some tiPups and go to the north west corner of wizard lake. You will have non stoP action for scrappy pike
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM

Default Thank You

Guys, I really appreciate your responses.