Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM

Default Waterfowl East of Olds

Any of you guys hunt duck or geese east of Olds or Three Hills area? I am in Olds and have been hunting big game and upland for years but the wife has encouraged me to go after duck and geese (she likes to eat them). Since she's normally against spending more money on hunting gear I am going to seize the opportunity.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM

I am of no help to you, but congratulations on marrying such a fine woman!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 PM

I don't hunt Waterfowl, but did a tour, south and East of Didsbury, the other day, still lots of sloughs and small lakes, in spite of the drought.

Grizz
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Bigelow is just east of Olds and there is a reservoir you can hunt waterfowl. They also release pheasants there.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:33 AM

I hunted once west of Olds.
I was driving and saw a nice size pond on private land... went to the owner who was nice enough to grant us access.
hunted there a few weekends in the early season...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Bigelow is just east of Olds and there is a reservoir you can hunt waterfowl. They also release pheasants there.
I do hunt pheasants there, never thought of it for waterfowl though.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 PM

There will be birds in the area. The best thing to do is put a bunch of miles on your truck and pattern the birds when the season is open or just before.

Set up where they want to be. Not on some random pond in a field.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM

I used to live in Three Hills and can say that there is pretty good hunting around there. You have to do your work and scout them out, but you should be able to find a good shoot. Find a roost where the birds are spending the night and then follow them from the roost to the field they are feeding in in the morning. That is where you are going to want to hunt.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:48 AM

if you go up to trochu, and then go east towards tolman bridge, seen a whole butt load of snows on some farm land before you drop down into the badlands. not sure if the farm grants hunting or not. but would be worth the drive im sure. as for around Olds, Ive drove around on every range road NE of hwy 2 and 27 last year, to as north as Netook road and as far east as 791, asked about 20 farmers one day and they all denied. so hope you have better luck!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboots View Post
if you go up to trochu, and then go east towards tolman bridge, seen a whole butt load of snows on some farm land before you drop down into the badlands. not sure if the farm grants hunting or not. but would be worth the drive im sure. as for around Olds, Ive drove around on every range road NE of hwy 2 and 27 last year, to as north as Netook road and as far east as 791, asked about 20 farmers one day and they all denied. so hope you have better luck!

I am hoping I can find someone to show me the ropes of hunting waterfowl. This will be my first season for ducks and geese.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Smile There are lots and lots

Now to get the birds that you shoot, is a whole other matter. The boys mentioned drought, and they are right, however the slough bottoms are the same as always, very deep muck! Or was we call it Loon S**t.

I hope you have a dog or you will be spending a very unpleasant morning trying to get out of the mud.

It is not uncommon for me to get 1/2 a limit of cripples before I get the shotgun out of the truck. I have 3 very good dogs.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell_guy View Post
I am hoping I can find someone to show me the ropes of hunting waterfowl. This will be my first season for ducks and geese.
Lots of birds in that area, at the right time. It's the western edge of the major flyway.

Grizz
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Now to get the birds that you shoot, is a whole other matter. The boys mentioned drought, and they are right, however the slough bottoms are the same as always, very deep muck! Or was we call it Loon S**t.

I hope you have a dog or you will be spending a very unpleasant morning trying to get out of the mud.

It is not uncommon for me to get 1/2 a limit of cripples before I get the shotgun out of the truck. I have 3 very good dogs.
My dog unfortunately won't be ready for this season, but he will be good to go next year. This is another reason I am hoping to find someone to show me the ropes.

If I can't find someone to go with I will be spending a fair bit of time with the waders in the mud.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM

Smile How old is the dog?

If it is a dog that retrieves and swims, and you have trained him. At 6 months they are good to go. IME a hunting season advances a dog's training better than anything else you can do.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
If it is a dog that retrieves and swims, and you have trained him. At 6 months they are good to go. IME a hunting season advances a dog's training better than anything else you can do.
He is due second week of Sept, pick him up 8 weeks later (Nov 15th ish).

I completely agree that 6-8 months old is a perfect time for a first hunting season. Next year he will be more then ready.