Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Default Layout blinds

Seems there are some new models of layout blinds available these days. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs and would like some suggestions on a good blind.
thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 AM

Default blinds

there are2 that Bobby B is selling in the classifieds, his were used only a few times.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 AM

5 things I look for in a layout blind.

Height- lower is better. Less than 20 " at the highest point is preferred.

Profile - Avoid the coffin boxy look, , very unnatural appearance in nature. The blind should taper down towards the feet.

Colour - Most blinds are too dark. Never seen a mossy oak stubble field in 50 plus years of hunting waterfowl. Look for lighter tan coloured blinds, they will be easier to conceal when straw for stubbling the blind in is in short supply.

Doors - Side opening doors flare less birds than the flip back top opening style.

Transport and storage - Do you need to store and transport your blind folded up? It is better and much less fuss if you can keep the blind fully assembled all the time. If not, ease of assembly in the dark with just a flashlight is huge consideration.

After all that said and done, perhaps the the simplest, cheapest and effective layout blind is just a tan coloured burlap blanket!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the tips - they makes lots of sense.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Look into the hardcore run n gun. It's a cost effective blind that works.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter0968 View Post
Look into the hardcore run n gun. It's a cost effective blind that works.
An outfitter that I know has used them for years, and they work very well. He uses a gillie blanket instead of the solid cover though. He carries different color gillie blankets to better match the field cover. There is nothing to assemble, they take up very little room to transport, and they are as low of a profile as you can get.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-25-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 AM

I have used an FA and a couple of Avery's. The FA is a Pro-Lander, comfy, lots of room, but it is a pig to assemble and disassemble. Still have it, but, I leave it assembled and chuck it in the trailer. Recommend you try assembly in the store before taking one out. They use pins to hold everything together.
The Avery's are lighter, and they assemble way quicker than a blind that take pins, fold out the rear support and you are done. The Power Hunter does need the canopy centre support popped into place. I hit it with my head and knock it out of place a lot. And I find I get double vision looking thru the screen for long periods. And with that style of blind, the gun is outside. And a stiff wind will blow the canopy back at you, which can be pesky when getting up.
The Ground Force assembles in a few seconds, push the back support up, slide the door poles together, you are done. There is a crossbar that may be in the way, of the lower back, an extra pad takes care of that.
I find I like the coffin blinds better, the gun is inside, more room inside and they are easier to get up out of.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 AM

My hunting buddy and I between us own 7 different blinds , some are pack blinds, some bigger layouts, some compacts.
They all get grassed up with whatever field we are hunting in , and we have never had any issues with any of them.

The Tanglefree blinds we use have had some pretty big dudes in them , one fella is 6'5" or taller.
Cat
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Banned

Default layout blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
there are2 that Bobby B is selling in the classifieds, his were used only a few times.
There is one left and its only $150. You won't find a better price, and this blind will easily accommodate you. I have 3 of these and they have seen over 100 hunts and done well. For layouts you can usually save at least $100-200 buying slightly used looking at prices lately.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 AM

I cheaped out and bought a Cabelas Mobile One. Not much for comfort or features, but it is low to the ground and folds into a backpack. You don't realize how much you need that until you get permission in a field that you're not allowed to drive into. My buddy bought a big luxurious one, and we have to dig into the field to get his lower.
Now is the time of the season that you'll start seeing them on sale too.