Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Waterfowl loads?

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted anything, I'm going to really try to get into waterfowl hunting this year, and I'm stunned by the amount of shotshell selection that there is out there, I realize that waterfowl needs to be non-toxic shot, but the amount of load varieties is shocking.

Now onto my questions, what shell length, and load are you guys using for Canada's, and larger ducks like the mallards?

What is your choke of choice for the loads you shoot?

What is your choice of the 2 above categories when field hunting vs hunting over water?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Code black choke and hevi-metal works for me , shooting an sx3.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM

2's through a modified choke for ducks, geese as well if they're coming in close. BB's for geese if later in the season or if I know they'll be further out.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 PM

I use 3" Kent Fasteel either #1 or BB. For a choke I am using a Briley LM extended choke in my SX-3.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 PM

last year, I used Black clouds snow storm in 4's on ducks and 2's on geese. they worked great but a little excessive for my style of shooting (under 40 yds)

Bought a Pattern Master code black duck for this season and will be shooting Winchester Xperts, same shot size as last year. Shooting through my Beretta A400 Xtreme.

All of them are 1 1/8 ounce loads as anything heavier does not pattern well in my gun.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Banned

I have been mostly shooting Kent 3" BB for geese the past few years and the same in 2 for ducks. I rarely hunt ducks, just get the odd one that comes into the goose setup. Going to try some of the Score 3" BB this year. Trulock M extended choke.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM

Default I don't like recoil

I use 2 3/4 as I always have, you get more mv and lots of shot. They are cheaper than 3" too.

For ducks I now use #2 and for geese the same size but I've bought some large steel shot TTT I think and I'll load some of that up for my son.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:16 AM

My 20 has Trulock IC/Mod Precision hunters in it but truthfully I don't think I kill more ducks and geese than with the factory chokes- they are built heavier though,
I use Kent 2" or 4's in it.
My modern hammer double uses 2 3/4" or 3" 2's or 4's Kent or Winchesters with CYL/IC
I load bismuth in all my other guns
My partner uses Winchester 2 3/4" Dri Locs either 2's or 4's and has his Polychocke set on IC.

My son shoots a big O/U in 3.5" because he likes to throw s big payload at them
1/4" BB or BBB Kents
Cat
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM

#4 for Ducks.
#2 or #3 for geese.

Wal-mart Winchester steel. 15 bucks a box and kills things fine.

Instead of spending 20 dollars extra on the fancy steel shot, use the cost difference to buy two boxes of target loads for practice. Even 50 dollars a box shotshells won't cure poor shooting!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCanuck View Post
2's through a modified choke for ducks, geese as well if they're coming in close. BB's for geese if later in the season or if I know they'll be further out.
Same here exept i shoot #4s when hunting water ducks.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Hevi metal 3"3's for ducks. Absolute lights out with that load. 3"2's for honkers and snows. This is getting shot through a pattern master extended range. My friend shoots it through factory modified with great results as well. Pay a little more for the shells,in the long run it will be cheaper with way less follow up shots, and a lot less crippled birds.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEX View Post
last year, I used Black clouds snow storm in 4's on ducks and 2's on geese. they worked great but a little excessive for my style of shooting (under 40 yds)
I use Black Cloud in #2 in a 3" shell for everything. They cut so much and penetrate so well I think you can go down from BB for geese. (I'd use BB with plain steel). I do admit that they can make a mess of close range ducks. One flew right over my blind and I cut him in half. Yuch.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Instead of spending 20 dollars extra on the fancy steel shot, use the cost difference to buy two boxes of target loads for practice. Even 50 dollars a box shotshells won't cure poor shooting!
The problem is that many people don't want to hear this. They don't want to waste time and money practicing their shooting, and they are hoping that throwing more shot out of more expensive ammunition, will make up for their sub standard shooting skills.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 AM

I prefer a #2 load for geese and ducks. I found a load that patterns well in my A400 Extreme and I just don't bother changing back and forth. I also had a load of #1 from Kent that really worked well but now that I am with a Code Black Goose choke, that load is too fast.

Keep in mind that these birds are not bullet proof as some people seem to think. Most people that have a hard time "killing" birds simply need to increase their lead a few inches and get the patterns into the head and neck. I see way too many birds flying away from a decoy set that have a leg hanging or a crooked wing tip with guys saying they missed.

No matter the size of the shot, I have found them to have a severe allergic reaction to being shot in the face with steel.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 AM

I should of added the best way to find out what your gun likes is to pattern it. Every gun is unique. As I stated hevi metal is what patterned the best out of my sx3 and pattern master.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM

At present I have Kent and WW Xpert for this yr for the 12ga.
Kent 3" #3, and BB, 1-1/4 @ 1425 for the SxS's. Those are with 5/10 and 7/10 chokes.
I have WWxperts in 3-1/2, BB, 1-3/8 @ 1550 for the SBE with the factory mod choke and a Carlson's ext long range (mod) choke.
The 20 ga has Hevimetal 3",#3, 1oz@ 1350, WW drylok #3 1oz @ 1350, and some Kents that are #3, 1oz @ 1350. Those are for mod and imp mod chokes.
It is a constant case of continually watching the shelves and grabbing a case here and there, when they show up, over the last couple of years. WSS had some Kent's out about the beginning of the month, grabbed a case of #3 and a case of BB at the time. I won't buy Blindside or Black cloud. Haven't had great results with Federal 12ga, and they quit making the load I did like for the 20ga. Maybe next yr, if they have the spec of shells available, that I can live with, I will try some Score.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Thanks for information guys, like I said I really appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 AM

3" shells

#4 for early season ducks/teal
#2 for late season ducks (fat mallards)
BB for geese, sometimes #2 for close spread
Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 AM

3" #4 for everything, modified choke.
Federal blue box, rio, Winchester blind side, black cloud
Old 08-26-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post

No matter the size of the shot, I have found them to have a severe allergic reaction to being shot in the face with steel.
Yup, shoot 'em in the face!
Cat
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 AM

When I'm hunting for waterfowl I use the HeviShot - Hevisteel #2. Great result.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 AM

I carry a bag full of loose shells....sometimes its a 2 3/4 " #4 sometimes its a 3 1/2 BBB. I have never patterned my gun, i have never changed the choke (modified). In an ideal world i would shoot 3" #2 at ducks and 3" BB at geese...winchester gray box (super X...1550 FPS)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I carry a bag full of loose shells....sometimes its a 2 3/4 " #4 sometimes its a 3 1/2 BBB. I have never patterned my gun, i have never changed the choke (modified). In an ideal world i would shoot 3" #2 at ducks and 3" BB at geese...winchester gray box (super X...1550 FPS)

Love this response! Some people put way too much thought into it. I'm all for figuring out what your gun likes, but in the end figure out what you can afford and go from there. Don't get caught up in all the different types of chokes and shotgun ammo. Work on your shooting and practice. Money spent at the store doesn't necessarily make you more successful.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikes"R"us View Post
Love this response! Some people put way too much thought into it. I'm all for figuring out what your gun likes, but in the end figure out what you can afford and go from there. Don't get caught up in all the different types of chokes and shotgun ammo. Work on your shooting and practice. Money spent at the store doesn't necessarily make you more successful.
The only thing I REALLY worry about is if I have the proper shells in my hand for the gun I am using, because I tend to take different guns out to the field with me and often have two different gauges, one in a case and the other ready to go.

As long as one makes double checks there is no issue, same as looking at what you out in your jacket at home before you head out!
Cat
Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
3" #4 for everything, modified choke.
Federal blue box, rio, Winchester blind side, black cloud
x2 on the Federal blue box (Speed Shok). Under $20 a box and do the job just fine. I've used Black Cloud too but don't think it's worth the extra cash. Also find it makes a mess in my auto loader action.

Tend to load 3" or 3.5" #2 since I usually have a mixed bag of ducks and geese coming by. Shooting through a factory modified choke. Knocks them down as well as any steel will.

Really comes down to shooting, especially with high flying geese. They're further away than you think and moving a lot faster than they look. If they're not dropping, lead them way more than you think you need to and you'll be surprised at the result.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 PM

remington 3inch shells , size 1 shot,out of browning maxus,ducks,geese
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM

I use 3inch #2 for ducks remington sportsmen or rio bluesteel 3.5 #1 challenger for geese with a modified choke out of my Beretta A400. Out of my 10 gauge i try to use #2 but will shoot what I can find and is cheapest (10 gauge shells are not cheap). Best bet is to pattern your gun with different shells all I did was get together with a couple of buddies that shoot different loads and traded shells. Some shells will pattern than others
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Biggest thing to remember with steel is speed kills. Don't go for the 1 1/4 or heavier loads at reduced velocity thinking that will increase lethality, it has the opposite effect. 1 1/8 or 1 oz at 1550-1700fps will get the job done on any size bird, even on the long shots. Unless you limit your shots to under 40yds, heavy slow loads just allow you to cripple more birds.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
Biggest thing to remember with steel is speed kills. Don't go for the 1 1/4 or heavier loads at reduced velocity thinking that will increase lethality, it has the opposite effect. 1 1/8 or 1 oz at 1550-1700fps will get the job done on any size bird, even on the long shots. Unless you limit your shots to under 40yds, heavy slow loads just allow you to cripple more birds.

Agreed x2

Long before there were commercial loads of steel shot at 1550 ft/sec I've loaded 23/4 " shells with size T steel shot IIRC 1 oz, and this velocity.

Momentum of those pellets was as deadly as lead # 2 or BB at 1330 ft/sec.
Slow and lots of pellets (magnum loads) lead or steel always had me puzzled.
Now 31/2 inch with 11/2 oz of steel at 1550 + it would make sense for sky busting, "pass shooting" but that's not my cup of tea.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY