Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Default "after the shot" question - help!

Hey guys,

So this morning I headed out to my treestand - after I was settled in, I waited a bit and the hit my can call a couple of times. I waited a bit more, then I hit it again followed by a tending grunt. I was looking towards a scrape I had found about 50 yards to my left, and suddenly movement caught my eye to the right. A buck had just appeared out of the pines, a decent 4x4 nothing spectacular but I had no time to lose. He circled around to my right and stopped just past my mock scrape broadside, and I knew the range was about 30 yards. Last week I took a doe from the same stand although at only 20 yards, and I know my arrow hit quite high. I had not compensated for this on that shot, so I did my best this time and aimed slightly low. I let the arrow go, but to my dismay there was no thump and off he went. Well he had no idea what had just happened, and luckily he didn't take off but kept circling around behind me. I readied another arrow in case he gave me another opportunity, and sure enough he stopped in a good clear lane - I ranged him, 32 yards. I loosed another arrow, and again no thump except for the sound of my arrow burying itself in a large pine tree root. I watched him leave, he wasn't in a hurry but just kind of loping along but didn't look hurt. I was very disappointed with myself, I think I definitely had some buck fever going on.

I waited for quite a while just thinking about what had transpired, and it was starting to get really bright out so I figured I would call it a morning and head home to do some chores and come back out tonight. When I recovered the second arrow, I noticed there was about a handful of white hair on the ground. However my arrow was completely clean, not a speck of blood or fluid of any kind. I walked about 10 yards towards where I saw him leave, and noticed a bit of blood on the ground. I followed this towards some more droplets, and then some more. I thought what on earth, I must have somehow hit him really low but there was absolutely nothing on the arrow itself. The blood droplets persisted for a ways, but the distance between them kept increasing until the last few droplets had about 10 or more yards between them, then nothing. I was a bit worried, but I kept thinking there was no way the arrow could have passed through without getting some blood on it.

I have never had this happen before, I haven't shot a ton of deer with my bow but enough to know what the arrow looks like afterwards. Do you think this deer will be alright? I am really hoping it is a minor flesh wound and that he is not be severely wounded. When I get out there tonight should I keep looking? I am really anxious about this and I really hope I didn't wound him, but I keep thinking with the arrow being totally clean it could not have passed through anything.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any insight or advice on this. Thanks all!