Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Telephone service (Telus)

Are there any telephone guys on the site?

I am building a new livestock barn and we need a land line telephone service so that phone out alarms can be connected.

This would have to be new construction and Telus tells me that it will be a minimum of 18 months wait to get a line!

Well that seems bizarre to me but apparently that is the case.

We have good wireless signals in the area but I have been told that alarm systems can't be connected to cell phones or any of the internet service providers.

Maybe someone on the forum can help?

Thanks

kens
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Default telus

ken go voip
Old 01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Gone Hunting

I have been told that the AgriTech Alarm system doesn't work on any isp.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Are there any telephone guys on the site?

I am building a new livestock barn and we need a land line telephone service so that phone out alarms can be connected.

This would have to be new construction and Telus tells me that it will be a minimum of 18 months wait to get a line!

Well that seems bizarre to me but apparently that is the case.

We have good wireless signals in the area but I have been told that alarm systems can't be connected to cell phones or any of the internet service providers.

Maybe someone on the forum can help?

Thanks

kens

Not a phone guy but my opinion is always stay away from telus they have the worst service of any company I've ever dealt with. I think they spen all their money on bunnies and baby ducks for their commercials and haven't spent any money on recruiting some decent employees.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM

we have APX Alarm it runs on a cell phone signal. Makes sense you cant cut that off. We really like it. Works good.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM

My alarm system on my home has a dedicated land line, but if it get cuts it has a back up cell line built in....don't know why that wouldn't work for you, I'd check around with several security providers and see what they can offer. Some even have satellite signal uplinks from what I understand, but I'm sure it's a pricey system.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM

I Install security systems for a living, dont listen to a thing telus tells you there is such thing as a cell backup which means that its a virtual phone line that runs off of a rogers cell tower, they work great no phone line needed i can get you the specs for it,

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=Products&o=view&id=138
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM

PM sent
Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Not a phone guy but my opinion is always stay away from telus they have the worst service of any company I've ever dealt with. I think they spen all their money on bunnies and baby ducks for their commercials and haven't spent any money on recruiting some decent employees.

Gee Gus...now I'm conflicted. I am a phone guy. I've worked for Telus for 32 years now, and always considered myself to be a decent employee...

Kens, I wish I could offer some decent advise, but I work in the Major Business area and have very little to do with the Residential or Cellular sides of the business. Sorry....

Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM

The time frame you were given was, unfortunately, correct. Telus does have a newer product out that runs over the cellular network, but to the end user it acts/feels like a regular phone line. (it uses all the phone wires in your house and regular telephones)

Perhaps that may be an option.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Gone Hunting

"Service" and "Telus", 2 words that should not be used in the same sentence
now, "monopoly" and "screwing"...different story....