Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Very impressed with report a poacher.

Have you used report a poacher? And how was your dealings with F&W? Did they meet your expectations.

I have been helping them with regards to some fool who is using salt licks and oats under his stands adjacent to my property and the effort they put into catch the guy was overwhelming. I'm pleasantly surprised as other complaints in the past 3 plus years of the same stature went relatively unnoticed.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Any more details? How did they go the 'extra mile'?

Glad that they're being responsive, thats a benefit to all.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

I'll get into more details when I speak to the C.O again in regards to who was involved.

They went to extreme lengths to track me down and get my information after I had given only my first name and mistakenly gave them the incorrect phone number. The location is over an hour from the closest F&W office and that territory generally goes unnoticed by C.O's etc ..It may seem small but I have used the hotline in the past only to get "we will look into it" and never hear another word.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

I know that the F&W in Wct are very astute. One of them is a friend of mine so I get to hear what he's allowed to tell(barring court sensitive stuff of course). Ya the majority of F&W seem to be very good at doing everything possible to apprehend poachers. I helped to get a poacher convicted last winter. Unfortunately had very little evidence to give them, but they worked it out and charged the guilty party.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

I called the poacher hotline back in 98 when i lived in Grande Prairie.
My experience was the exact opposite of what you say. maybe they have gotten better over the years.??
I called in on gray cup weekend and couldn't get a fishcop out if my life depended on it.!! 3 or 4 calls later i gave up, they took my info but i never got any results. I guess the football game was more important. since then i have lost all respect for them. I just can't be bothered to call them if i see something. just my experience though.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Wrong attitude IMO, we dont like hunters all being lumped together when some schmuck makes us all look bad. I am sure there are lazy CO's just as there are lazy cops.....
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 PM

I called the report a pocher line on me useing frogs for bait . They asked what type of frog told them it was a Boreal Chorus Frog , told them I hooked it right threw the face and ran it out . They said Oh thats not an offense . OPPPPPPPPPPPS my bad .

Speaking of which hey Hannie any update from that e mail , go look on the sturgeon thread in the fishing section I posted the letter .
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Wtf ??
Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I called the report a pocher line on me useing frogs for bait . They asked what type of frog told them it was a Boreal Chorus Frog , told them I hooked it right threw the face and ran it out . They said Oh thats not an offense . OPPPPPPPPPPPS my bad .

Speaking of which hey Hannie any update from that e mail , go look on the sturgeon thread in the fishing section I posted the letter .
That made little to no sense......lol
Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
That was the whole point , go read the sturgeon thread in the fishing section , it will explain everything.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I'm thinking the same thing...
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post

lmao i got it, i read that thread earlier today
Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 AM

The infamous "Sturgeon thread".............................about frogs

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 AM

The most logical place to store salt blocks and oats is near a tree stand. Helps keep the rain off it........
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Last year I was out on a Fri. evening to set out some trail cams. I found an area with an unusual amount of deer sign then found what was left of a pile of oats. Looked around and there was a tree stand near by. I took some pics of the ground with a little grain in the dirt. On Sunday I returned to check my trail cams which were not too far away and I checked on the grain pile and it had been replenished with more oats. I turned this information and pictures over to a F&W officer and he investigated and found the fellow. The guy got caught up in some pointed questioning and finally admitted it was his tree stand and he had put out oats before the season when he was trying to photograph deer but had not put out any since he started hunting from the tree stand. The officer took down all this information then informed the fellow that there was photographic proof the grain pile had been topped up recently (my pics). First the fellow admitted all then for some reason he decided to fight the case.

I got some $ from the report a poacher program and still have to attend court when it comes back to trial in a few months.

F&W officers really appreciate when they get good information from the public which helps them do their job. We should all do what we can to help them.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Duffy.. How much can a guy expect in cash? Not that it should be neccasary, but it might meen another guy is caught.

Jamie
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Duffy.. How much can a guy expect in cash? Not that it should be neccasary, but it might meen another guy is caught.

Jamie
It shouldn't matter , what a guy is gonna get . A thank you should be good enough , but a little money never hurt. I'm a firm believer in If its against the law report it , but don't be sense less about it . I think its up to a 1000 dollars , they hand out don't quote me on that but I'm pretty positive its around that .
Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM

A guy west of Nordegg was just busted because he shot a cow elk(no season) in 328 thinking it was a wt.WT? is that?He didnt report an accident or leave the scene.He was visited by the co's and when they pull up he's butchering the animal.They took his truck(company vehicle),rhino,quad and rifle and is headed to court.Loved hearing this news,what a joke this guy is ,he didnt try try to hide the fact and witnesses were close by when he shot.Also 2 big bull moose and one calf moose poached in same area,only missing snouts and one hind quarter.

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannie View Post
Have you used report a poacher? And how was your dealings with F&W? Did they meet your expectations.
Recieving a reward is enough to inspire some to report an issue and that is a good thing. However there needs to be some changes made to put some real teeth in the law, so that those who do make the call are protected from harassment by the offender,their family or friends. In some cases the offender(s) and reporter(s) are known to each other. There needs to be some legal recourse for those who retailate for being reported under the RAP program.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Default salt licks

imoa,i think you should leave the co's to do the more pressing work.I think that the low numbers of co's would have much more serious matters to deal with.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
imoa,i think you should leave the co's to do the more pressing work.I think that the low numbers of co's would have much more serious matters to deal with.
i am aware that they can be distracted or diverted from the more "serious" matters. just seems that obstruction would be a reel serious matter to deal with, which in a round about way, it is. having said that, i wouldn't want to create a frivilous diversion(law) that would prevent them from the execution of their duties,low numbers of staff notwithstanding.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
I disagree; any law that goes unenforced gets abused. About the only reason you'd not want this type of offense to be reported would be......?????

Thats a rhetorical question by the way.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Default bait

come on .i wasnt born yesterday.The shelves at basspro are filled with attractant,yet everyone on here is on a soap box.So i quess all the bad guys are buying it who arnt on this board.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Default bait

come to think of it ,last year a fish cop told me that he hunted beside an alfalfa field.What is any different than hunting over alfafa or salt.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM

i like it.you never here of THEM doing wrong but most of them r hunters and i have been told about trespassing but there faw?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Here's a good one. Last year I caught a guy in MY tree stand feeding apples to moose and deer! I confronted the guy and sent him on his way. He had the audacity to pretend it was his tree stand and that those apples got their by themselves! Can you beleive it! The real interesting part is that he went to the land owner and told him I was the one poaching. I ended up loosing my privileges because he was buddies with the land owner. The next day, I went to get my tree stand out and guess what? It was GONE! Wel holy hell! I was not happy!!! I never did see the guy again but if I do, I just might "borrow" his truck tires... Oh okay I woudnt do that because I'm not that type of person. That said, how much crap does a guy have to go through these days; constantly bumping into idiots on my turf trying to relax, unwinding and "getting away from it all"? Seriously??? I sure do hope that F&W put more COs out there to watch my back but more importantly help conserve wildlife and our right to hunt.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Fish cops don't care about deer, and that's right from the mouth of a fish cop. They are more concerned with a 2mm under walleye. Don't be surprised if you call about a deer violation and they do nothing.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 PM

All they do is hastle the hunter or fishermen that isn't doing anything wrong. But when you report someone who is poaching and breaking the law it seems like they don't want anything to do with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree with the last few on some of this. but we all forget again that they aren't all cut from the same block. Some of the officer's aren't worth the dirt they stand on, others are some of the most dedicated people you can find. Give em the benegit of the doubt til they prove which one they are.

Have any of you ever had experiences with Feathered wings on grouse when they are frozen??
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Wink

last season i had access to a huge chunk of pasture , lots of rolling hills, in one of the depressions they had a water hole and salt blocks for the cattle that at the time were pulled off this quarter. i set my brothers up on top of that hill and they both took their first good bucks that day. guess were just a bunch of poachers