Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Default New to Calgary: Looking to Fly fish the Bow Between Cochrane and Calgary

Hey everyone! I moved to Calgary from Edmonton after finishing university, and I am itching to get into some of those famous Bow River Rainbows! Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some advice on fly fishing the Bow, as it is a lot larger and a lot faster than the west country creeks I fish. I've been down to where the Highwood joins the Bow, but had a hard time finding structure in the water.... Also any access points would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem hiking a ways to get to some good water. I will assume nymphing and streamers are the way till dry season; from what I have researched San Juan's in a 10, over a prince does the trick?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Keep going upstream and try just below the Ghost Dam. Outflows are good, gives constant temp water. Or try just below Bearspaw dam for starters, and walk the bank down and up.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reams26 View Post
Hey everyone! I moved to Calgary from Edmonton after finishing university, and I am itching to get into some of those famous Bow River Rainbows! Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some advice on fly fishing the Bow, as it is a lot larger and a lot faster than the west country creeks I fish. I've been down to where the Highwood joins the Bow, but had a hard time finding structure in the water.... Also any access points would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem hiking a ways to get to some good water. I will assume nymphing and streamers are the way till dry season; from what I have researched San Juan's in a 10, over a prince does the trick?

Thanks!
Maybe the moderators will move this over to the FLY FISHING portion of this site... ( ALOT MORE HELPFUL AND SPECIFIC THEN THE HUNTING PORTION...unless the fish are in a barrel)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Maybe get a regulations book as the Bow river is closed certain times of the year (Until april 1)....
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

hahaha. Whoops! Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 PM

I know certain portions of the river are. I did look and make sure that where I fished, south of the deerfoot (Policeman's and where the Highwood enters) were/are open. Always good to remind people of the regs though. Thanks!

Tags
bow river, calgary, fly fishing