Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Default Flocked Mallard Decoys

What are your thoughts on flocked mallard decoys. A lot of the mallard decoys I looked at last year were not flocked at all and had a bit of a shine to them.

Knowing that shine isn't a good thing in your spread I typically use flocked goose decoys for my hunts. However, is this the same for hunting ducks? From time to time we have ducks coming into the goose spread and I'd like to add a few duck decoys off to the side for realism.

Should I go flocked duck full body decoys or not?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

Default flocked mallards

Not at all necessary. If you live in Alberta or Sask, regular duck decoys or better yet any goose decoys, to cover both, will get the job done. Save your money that you would spend buying flocked ducks or flocking them and buy a Robo Duck, it will be your best investment for killing ducks hands down. Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

yep what he said, we have it pretty good here in Alberta and it takes little effort to limit on dux. lots of other gear to invest in
Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanks.
I do have a mojo, but haven't used it a bunch because the geese tend to shy away a bit. This year I'll incorporate it more off to the side and just make sure its off when the honkers are coming in.

Good luck to everyone this season.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default decoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail77 View Post
Thanks.
I do have a mojo, but haven't used it a bunch because the geese tend to shy away a bit. This year I'll incorporate it more off to the side and just make sure its off when the honkers are coming in.

Good luck to everyone this season.
Buy another mojo, put them about 10 yrds in front of your blind and buy a remote and sync them both to the remote. Usually done on ducks or very close before the geese even start to show up. (for field shoots)
If you don't go the remote route, put the robo duck behind the back corner or shoulder if you are using a layout blind. Just reach up and shut it off if you have geese within a few hundred yards. This works as well.
Good luck.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 AM

For a field shoot ducks decoy well enough to geese decoys. Add a mojo to the mix and I've seen them land (and shot them) even while I'm standing up and fiddling around!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:10 AM

Sounds like another mojo will be coming home with me soon. LOL

I have a greenhead mojo now. does it matter if we get another greenhead, or mix it up with a hen?

The remote works very well with the mojo's so I'll probably be sticking with that one. Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 11:14 AM

I was curious about the affect flocked decoys would have on my spread so a few years back I did a little research and did some DIY flocking on some of my regular deeks. They looked really nice and the birds would cup their wings over them very willingly but no better than they would over the regular deeks.

After a couple of seasons of experimentation, It seems the flocked decoys looked better to me and any body else I showed them to but the Quackers did not seem to have a preference.

I would agree with everyone else. Save your cash for the other gear you may need.

All the best,
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default mojo

Quote:
Sounds like another mojo will be coming home with me soon. LOL

I have a greenhead mojo now. does it matter if we get another greenhead, or mix it up with a hen?

The remote works very well with the mojo's so I'll probably be sticking with that one. Thanks
You could probably put one of those spinning wing dove decoys up and would do the same, so no, it won't matter between drake or hen. I saw a deal awhile back that Basspro had a hen and drake combo pack that was just a bit smaller than the regular one for $100. This was probably 2yrs ago though, haven't looked at decoy prices in a while.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
You could probably put one of those spinning wing dove decoys up and would do the same, so no, it won't matter between drake or hen. I saw a deal awhile back that Basspro had a hen and drake combo pack that was just a bit smaller than the regular one for $100. This was probably 2yrs ago though, haven't looked at decoy prices in a while.
Y amost stores run sales on the combo 'Jr' pairing for cheap cheap before the season starts. I wish I had bought two packs of the jr's before I bought my full sized units. From my experience the sizing aint that big of a deal.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM

I have flocked goose decoys but no flocked ducks.
I do however, use 4 mojos, two drakes, a hen and a teal - they work SUPER!!
Cat
Old 08-19-2015, 11:37 PM

As noted by several posters already, goose dekes with a robo / mojo duck will suck in ducks like crazy on the fields. Why? The goose dekes being larger show up better and perhaps more importantly , ducks feel safe around geese.

Now when it comes to hunting over water, bright sun with it's glare and shine are your freinds. Water reflects light,, when the sun shines, everything has glare. Makes it harder for the ducks to see the dekes as fakes,,, no need for flocking in these kind of conditions.

Robo still works it magic over water too!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Get some higdon field mallards. They have no shine and flocked heads (that are probably unnecessary). Never had any issues with ducks or geese with them in the spread, rain or shine (pardon the pun)
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM

Well.....after much debate I decided to go with the Avian X full body field mallards. Not the cheapest 12 decoys I've ever purchased, but they do look great.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Well.....after much debate I decided to go with the Avian X full body field mallards. Not the cheapest 12 decoys I've ever purchased, but they do look great.
Hard to go wrong with Avian-X, all my floaters are Avian-X.