Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
charge everyone and let the courts sort it out type of folks Sako! Lol
This seems to be very true, the problem is you cannot a ford to fight things in court anymore. It’s rigged that way, just pay your fine and move on. Fighting takes longer and costs more than the fines they give.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:17 PM

I’ve had both good and bad interactions, it depends on several things, where you are and what the situation is. Generally I’ve had terrible interactions in kananaskis, many there seem to think you’re a criminal if you’re hunting. Other crown land in the west it is hit and miss, farm country I’ve generally had good experiences. Checkstops are normally more business like outside of 1 person that seemed to be an angry person.

Flip side never had a bad interaction in the USA although I’ve had far fewer
Old 11-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
X2...hunting Antelope in 2014.Glassing a nice goat off the road with the officer in his truck...told him I had permission and was going to make a stalk.he said he wanted to watch...sure I didn’t care...with all the excitement forgot my tag/licence in my pack back in the truck....I got the goat but had to walk back for the tag....we both kind of laughed abit as he wrote out the warning for not tagging immediately or having my licence on me however I did learn my lesson and Never have forgotten again.
Would have been nicer if he would have given you a verbal warning. The warning you got is part of your "record". It is there forever and if you ever make another small error this first one will come up and can only be used against you.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Sounds like a love of the badge, they are always looking for good aggressive, uncontrolled emotions, charge everyone and let the courts sort it out type of folks Sako! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako123 View Post
Wow, some of you guys hating on F&W officers for doing their jobs sound like whiney little bitches. These are the people that work every day to ensure that we still have sustainable populations of fish and wildlife so that we can continue to enjoy the pursuits that we love.

They are fully appointed peace officers and enforce all provincial statutes including the criminal code. No difference in powers between an RCMP and F&W officer. I am pretty certain that the vast majority of negative encounters reported here happen due to the less than positive behaviour of the person being field checked.

To those people whining: grown up and put your big boy pants on there will be times that you need to provide information to law enforcement. That’s just the way it works. You choose your response.
Three instances I know of first hand in the county of newel,
FIRST F&W Newell officer was very aggressive saw 6 of use grandma grandpa and grandkids myself and my wife fishing on the pontoon boat. Officer comes racing up on his jetski pulls up gets onto out boat and demands to see my wife’s fishing licence. On and on about he saw her with a rod in her hand. He was so rude it was making the grandparent quite uncomfortable the kids 4-7 years old where scared my wife cried. It started getting to be a bit much he was told to charge us with something or take a hike. He left with his panties in a twist.

SECOND 4 guys out hunting archery one guy with a bow others watching and videotaping Harvey a nice mule deer next day go out again to try for the next guys deer realize it’s a Monday now. O SH*T moment as the 4 guys realize they shot that deer yesterday on a Sunday yep there bad call it in on them self’s shooter charged with hunting on Sunday. Other guys pretty much told they are morons and yes they where. Officer very polite good guy. Day after that same officer from above storey with the fishing rod hissyfit. Shows up at camp he got wind of the Sunday mule deer and the officer from Medicine Hat and disagreed with the outcome. So Newell officer shows up changed all 4 guys with hunting on Sunday and unlawful possession of wildlife. It was cheaper to pay the fine and loose a year hunting than fight it.

THIRD Newell officer out in this F&W truck where he had no right to be or permission to be. Rancher and a friend see his truck on there land. Buzz the F&W truck with the supper cub while out checking cows. Newell officer decides he doesn’t like this very much shows up At ranchers house ask to see rancher. Wife says rancher is out flying and is not home officer doesn’t like that answer and demands Inside says the plane is home he is home. Rancher has two planes wife asked him to leave officer pushed back on the door and door hits ranchers wife in the nose and eye.

I’m sure that officer is a member on hear and he knows who he is and he knows all the stuff he has done that he has gotten away with. He was just transferred to a new area. Those are just three stories I know of off hand there are so many like that out of that area. Sako 123 maybe you will run into this individual one day or maybe this individual is Sako 123
Old 11-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
FIRST F&W Newell officer was very aggressive saw 6 of use grandma grandpa and grandkids myself and my wife fishing on the pontoon boat. Officer comes racing up on his jetski pulls up gets onto out boat and demands to see my wife’s fishing licence. On and on about he saw her with a rod in her hand. He was so rude it was making the grandparent quite uncomfortable the kids 4-7 years old where scared my wife cried. It started getting to be a bit much he was told to charge us with something or take a hike. He left with his panties in a twist.

SECOND 4 guys out hunting archery one guy with a bow others watching and videotaping Harvey a nice mule deer next day go out again to try for the next guys deer realize it’s a Monday now. O SH*T moment as the 4 guys realize they shot that deer yesterday on a Sunday yep there bad call it in on them self’s shooter charged with hunting on Sunday. Other guys pretty much told they are morons and yes they where. Officer very polite good guy. Day after that same officer from above storey with the fishing rod hissyfit. Shows up at camp he got wind of the Sunday mule deer and the officer from Medicine Hat and disagreed with the outcome. So Newell officer shows up changed all 4 guys with hunting on Sunday and unlawful possession of wildlife. It was cheaper to pay the fine and loose a year hunting than fight it.

THIRD Newell officer out in this F&W truck where he had no right to be or permission to be. Rancher and a friend see his truck on there land. Buzz the F&W truck with the supper cub while out checking cows. Newell officer decides he doesn’t like this very much shows up At ranchers house ask to see rancher. Wife says rancher is out flying and is not home officer doesn’t like that answer and demands Inside says the plane is home he is home. Rancher has two planes wife asked him to leave officer pushed back on the door and door hits ranchers wife in the nose and eye.

I’m sure that officer is a member on hear and he knows who he is and he knows all the stuff he has done that he has gotten away with. He was just transferred to a new area. Those are just three stories I know of off hand there are so many like that out of that area. Sako 123 maybe you will run into this individual one day or maybe this individual is Sako 123
If you have a run in with an officer like that your gonna have an unpleasant experience regardless of the situation or how you conduct yourself. They r not all good.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:11 PM

that is the purpose of the thread.

know your rights, and call them on it, in the field, BEFORE they charge you and put you through the hassle of defending yourself.

and good info to have to STOP the harassment in the field. Nothing ruins a day quicker than a ego tripping LEO.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Am I the only one that doesn’t have problems with f&w?
They have a job to do. They are underfunded. And they are usually pulling people over who are armed.
They have been nothing but fantastic in my area
I have a couple of their phone numbers and I text them all the time when I see suspicious activity. I’m tired of having bullets rip past me when I’m in a tree stand or blind. Tired of finding poached moose and deer. Tired of the bs.
In my experience with F&W officers they have been polite as well as helpful.
If you are playing by the rules you shouldn't have any issues.
Like anyone else. Treat them with respect like you want to be treated.
I'm happy there are people out there trying to help take care of what most of us love.
The forest , lakes and critters in and around it.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
Good and bad interactions will be inevitable, bad example, wife was driving home last week and was stopped on the road side, F&W officer was polite but asked her if she was hunting, "In heels and a dress? she asked" I dont think so lol, he then asked if she had a firearm or any game in the vehicle? She again said no, she has no license and obviously not hunting, he then asked her to produce her drivers license, insurance and registration. This I feel was not in his wheelyard nor his concern. My wife obliged but I would not have done the same. He was decent enough but there was no probable cause nor suspicion.
A couple years ago we were sledding around Minnow Lake. When we got back the staging area, a F/W officer met us at the trucks and asked for registration and insurance on all our sleds. Three rigs, 6 snowmobiles between us. It is in their right to look for possible stolen goods etc. He was pleasant enough, but he was very young and very alone. I felt he was a bit at risk out there, riding a POS quad and getting very late.
Every other encounter I have ever had with F/W has been on the water, never been checked while hunting, knock on wood.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Would have been nicer if he would have given you a verbal warning. The warning you got is part of your "record". It is there forever and if you ever make another small error this first one will come up and can only be used against you.
Did’nt know that...however I’ll never make that mistake again...the guy was abit of a stickler I guess.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:02 PM

Default Saskatchewan

Once in northern Saskatchewan we saw a herd of whitetail 1 mile away so dad put up the spotting scope and glassed the herd.we could see the SERM officer 2 miles up the road parked facing us...after glassing the herd and seeing no big bucks we carried on in the truck and were pulled over by the officer lights/Siren a blazing...told us he saw my dad stick a rifle out of the truck and point it @the deer...to bad 4 him the season wasn’t open yet and we were scouting and didn’t have any firearm in the vehicle...let him search the truck and then called him a goof and told him to hit the road and not bother us again.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow I eat up a lot of time fishing and hunting....I mean a lot and have not had these experiences some speak of that are so negative....one fella even let me land my laker...take a pic...let it go then proceeded with the routine check....and was wrongfully called on trespassing during a hunting season in Saskatchewan as I parked in front of land that was posted but I had permission to hunt on...blood on my hands we got my sled and proceeded the 2km trek through 2 feet of snow...he checked the tag on the animal, my licence and helped me slug back...then off to the farm of the landowner to verify my story...yup a bit of a hassle but wish this happened more often to get rid of the scum so called angles/hunters/outdoors people who are not part of that group.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
would you say that is how it played out with double dropper's wife?

Why The Hill did the FW in that stop keep pushing the issue? power trip? or just a compete idiot. then put on his cop uniform and start asking for license and registration when he couldn't harass her on wildlife enforcement anymore?

not normal at all. he was doing that just to be a jerk. what other purpose?

so DB's like that deserve respect when they abuse their authority?

and yes, you may be scrutinised more when you push back. who cares if you have nothing to hide? if they choose to waste your time, waste as much of theirs as possible. maybe then they'll get it.
Not really sure what happened. But when a cop of any kind or person of authority is being a dick it isn't my case that they still deserve respect. But that they, just like a dick without a badge is looking for a fight. If you don't give him one they almost always grumble and walk away.

Sure it might not be every single case but you got way better chances not being a dick yourself
Old 11-06-2019, 02:35 PM

I am always courteous at and respectful. Have never what I would call a bad experience. But as others have said, it is important to know your rights and the law. End of story. I will never let any officer search my vehicle without probable cause. I very, very seldom road hunt and never do if I am alone. If I am out alone my rifles are kept in their case in the bed of the truck with my backpack (which always has my tags in it). I have been asked to show them to F&W which I fully accept is with in their rights. The thing is, every time I get out of the truck I lock it behind me. I have seen 2 officers try to open my door after verifying the rifles are unloaded and a few are astute enough to hear the doors locking. I will calmly say that they have no probable cause to search my truck cab as my rifles, license and tags are in the bed. Some get huffy but most just shrug and move on. Do I get any tips or have them act all buddy buddy? No, but I don't really care either. They have a job to do; and a hard one at that. I allow them to do their job and they allow me to carry on my way. The way the system is supposed to work.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:51 PM

I was told by a fish cop that they have the same power as a peace officer
Old 11-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Many CO's are used in drug busts saying there looking for fish or meat etc.they got the stroke to do searches.

You can talk to most CO's and they will tell you there system is not perfect and even have had one even apologize for another's CO'S behavior .

If some treats you like an arrs you most likely will treat them the same way and there just humans trying to feed there families.

If you do meet one that's an arrs be as nice as you can and really screw his mind up,offer to buy him super,sleep with your girl friend ,whatever it takes to have a good laugh. Kill him with over whelming kindness and show him who the better man is,unless he talks badly about your mother then give it to him.HAHA

Cheers to all .

JD.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM

My buddy and I knocked down a big mule right beside the S Sask River on a huge 'foot-traffic-only' ranch. We were looking at a 5 km drag almost straight uphill back to the truck, when along comes a F&W truck. Fella checks our licenses, tells us we were spotted by his partner overhead in a plane! Tells us he drove past our truck and then offers to drive us (and our deer) back to it! Had to drive 12 kms around the head of the coulee to get to our parked truck - but probably saved us 5 or 6 hrs of grunt work!
I doubt he's permitted to transport hunters and game like that. Think I should report him?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Not really sure what happened. But when a cop of any kind or person of authority is being a dick it isn't my case that they still deserve respect. But that they, just like a dick without a badge is looking for a fight. If you don't give him one they almost always grumble and walk away.

Sure it might not be every single case but you got way better chances not being a dick yourself
so do you think double droppers wife was being a "dick" to deserve the treatment?

serious question. if you think she was being a dick, ok. if you don't think she was, whats the explanation for the FW actions??????????????????????????????

hey, if you feel the need to kiss a dick's azz, have at it. i wont.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Why make it personal? It really shows your lack of intelligence, but since you did perhaps consider changing your handle to “Simple Mark”.

Guys like you are garbage on this forum!

For the record I’m always cooperative as you should be, but I won’t let them overreach.
This coming from the guy who is pulling the “racist”, “I’m offended” card

And what would over reaching be?
Old 11-06-2019, 05:29 PM

So I'm just a dumb redneck that deals with F&W etc a lot.
They are trying to do a job to protect our resources. Most are awesome!! Our local is!! If you are a dipstick and don't follow the rules. YOUR problem!!
Granted there are a few dicks. If you follow the rules to the best, They will help you. Ignorence of the law doesn't cut it!

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post

A co stopped the neighbors wife three days in a row in a car while driving to work in her uniform. Not sure what this would accomplish, but he got transferred to Brooks sometime after this.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I will do my best to respond to that post although it was somewhat difficult to read. Where in Albertas regulations does it say you must disclose and return to the location of a legally killed and tagged animal? So you are saying they can detain you and make you go back to a killsite, doubtful. Also, what is a super chief? Sounds racist!
WILDLIFE COMPULSORY REGISTRATION

After harvesting*any*of the animals listed below, a hunter must register the kill at a*Fish and Wildlife office*within the specified time period. Where parts are required to be submitted, they must be submitted at the time the animal is registered in person by the hunter who killed the animal. For species where parts are not required to be submitted, the hunter who killed the animal may not have to attend in person at the time of registration. Contact a*Fish and Wildlife office*for further information.

Goat (the incisor bar must be submitted);Male sheep over 1 year of age (the complete unaltered skull with horns and eyes intact must be submitted);Wolves taken in any of WMUs 300 to 318, 324 to 330, 339 or 400 to 434 under any authority;Cougar (the skull and skin must be submitted, complete with the evidence of sex attached and visible). A premolar tooth will be retained for aging.
Bobcat (the skin must be submitted complete with the evidence of sex attached and visible);

Registration Deadlines – Deadlines for registering harvests are:

Male sheep over 1 year of age*– not later than 7 days after the close of the open season in which the animal was killed or 14 days after the date on which the animal was killed, whichever occurs first.*
Goat*– not later than 14 days after the close of the open season in which the animal was killed or 30 days after the date on which the animal was killed, whichever occurs first.
Cougar*– if taken on privately owned land by a landowner or occupant,*click here*to see the requirements; if taken under a licence allocated to an Outfitter-guide, withing 5 business days of the date of the kill; if taken under any other authority, within one business day following the date of the kill.
Bison taken in WMU 536 or 539*– not later than the end of the fifth usual business day after the animal was killed.
Wolves taken in any of the WMUs indicated earlier in this section*– not later than 30 days after the date on which the wolf was killed.
Bobcat*– before the skin is sold, processed or exported from Alberta or before the expiration of the period of 30 days after the bobcat was killed, whichever event comes first.

Persons registering goat, sheep, bison, cougar, bobcat and wolf are required to provide the following information:

species and sex of the animal
Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
so do you think double droppers wife was being a "dick" to deserve the treatment?

serious question. if you think she was being a dick, ok. if you don't think she was, whats the explanation for the FW actions??????????????????????????????

hey, if you feel the need to kiss a dick's azz, have at it. i wont.
Seriously, I do not know the whole story, doesn't sound like she was being a dick. But if you think talking to someone as a decent human is "kissing azz" then you are "that guy" that complains when you've done something wrong and get caught. I mean just now, you are being a dick to me just because I have a differing opinion from you.

Sounds like you are the guy looking for a fight, spamming question marks, insinuating I "kiss azz" just proves my posts
Old 11-06-2019, 08:21 PM

Your the first guy to bring the dick reference up. Not me.

No need to get nasty.

Don't get upset when someone makes a legitimate argument against your opionin of things. It's called free speech.

If you can't back it up, don't say it. Pretty simple.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This coming from the guy who is pulling the “racist”, “I’m offended” card

And what would over reaching be?
If you don’t know after reading 3 pages on this thread then you will never know.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
WILDLIFE COMPULSORY REGISTRATION

After harvesting*any*of the animals listed below, a hunter must register the kill at a*Fish and Wildlife office*within the specified time period. Where parts are required to be submitted, they must be submitted at the time the animal is registered in person by the hunter who killed the animal. For species where parts are not required to be submitted, the hunter who killed the animal may not have to attend in person at the time of registration. Contact a*Fish and Wildlife office*for further information.

Goat (the incisor bar must be submitted);Male sheep over 1 year of age (the complete unaltered skull with horns and eyes intact must be submitted);Wolves taken in any of WMUs 300 to 318, 324 to 330, 339 or 400 to 434 under any authority;Cougar (the skull and skin must be submitted, complete with the evidence of sex attached and visible). A premolar tooth will be retained for aging.
Bobcat (the skin must be submitted complete with the evidence of sex attached and visible);

Registration Deadlines – Deadlines for registering harvests are:

Male sheep over 1 year of age*– not later than 7 days after the close of the open season in which the animal was killed or 14 days after the date on which the animal was killed, whichever occurs first.*
Goat*– not later than 14 days after the close of the open season in which the animal was killed or 30 days after the date on which the animal was killed, whichever occurs first.
Cougar*– if taken on privately owned land by a landowner or occupant,*click here*to see the requirements; if taken under a licence allocated to an Outfitter-guide, withing 5 business days of the date of the kill; if taken under any other authority, within one business day following the date of the kill.
Bison taken in WMU 536 or 539*– not later than the end of the fifth usual business day after the animal was killed.
Wolves taken in any of the WMUs indicated earlier in this section*– not later than 30 days after the date on which the wolf was killed.
Bobcat*– before the skin is sold, processed or exported from Alberta or before the expiration of the period of 30 days after the bobcat was killed, whichever event comes first.

Persons registering goat, sheep, bison, cougar, bobcat and wolf are required to provide the following information:

species and sex of the animal

What is your point here? That is registering animals and completely different than what we are talking about.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Your the first guy to bring the dick reference up. Not me.

No need to get nasty.

Don't get upset when someone makes a legitimate argument against your opionin of things. It's called free speech.

If you can't back it up, don't say it. Pretty simple.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
What is your point here? That is registering animals and completely different than what we are talking about.
If you would read what you said earlier, you would remember that you stated "where does it say that you have to disclose or return to the location of a kill"

And if in case you missed that whole thing about registering animals, you have to disclose location...

Last edited by smith88; 11-06-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
If you would read what you said earlier, you would remember that you stated "where does it say that you have to disclose or return to the location of a kill"

And if in case you missed that whole thing about registering animals, you have to disclose location...
The context of the conversation was taking a F&G officer back to the scene of the kill when you have a legally tagged animal in your vehicle. Bottom line, you aren’t required to do it. You might have to where you are from but not in this country. You are also referencing animals that are required to be registered in which case you must disclose a WMU and an approximate location. Most sheep hunters lose their memory when doing so!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 PM

So im sitting on a cutline, cooking up a nice peregrine falcon lunch, and this power trippin CO comes along....

“You cant eat that”! he says

I point to my mouth as Im chewing and say “sure can”

He says “can i see your hunting license “? I say “nope”

He DEMANDS to see my license. I say “nope”.

He says “why not”? I reply “aint got no license “

Now you’d think that asking a fella who is gnawing on a falcon for his license is dumb enough........

TO BE CONTINUED
Old 11-07-2019, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
So im sitting on a cutline, cooking up a nice peregrine falcon lunch, and this power trippin CO comes along....

“You cant eat that”! he says

I point to my mouth as Im chewing and say “sure can”

He says “can i see your hunting license “? I say “nope”

He DEMANDS to see my license. I say “nope”.

He says “why not”? I reply “aint got no license “

Now you’d think that asking a fella who is gnawing on a falcon for his license is dumb enough........

TO BE CONTINUED
I was down the cut line from you....eating fried bald eagle eggs....he wouldn't join me neither...go figure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...