Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Success in 248

Went out this morning with my buddy and got lucky!

I was sitting on the edge of a field when i spottred a doe on the opposite end of the field feeding. I gave a little grunt call, she looked up but quickly went back to feeding. shortly after i grunted her two fawns came out of the bush and started feeding in the field. one of them was slowly making its way towards me (i was seated about 100 yards from them) so i gave another little grunt call to entice it to come further. after i grunted for the second time a buck came trotting out of the bush where the doe was feeding and came straight for me. it was like it was on a string! i sat stock still watching him come at me. about halfway to me i decided if he presented me a shot, i'd take it. as he got closer to me he seemed to be walking away from me so i grunted again. he stopped and looked right at me. thank goodness the wind was blowing from the west right into my face so he couldn't smell he. he could see me but he couldn't decide what i was so he kept walking slowly but starting to circle around to my right, which was perfect because i'm a left handed shot and he was walking right into a shooting lane. i let him circle me till i thought he was at about 30 yards then i drew back, put the thirty yard pin just behind his shoulder (he was just about a perfect broadside, maybe a little front quartering) let fly and watched the arrow sail right in front of him! lucky for me he just stood there and watched it. so i put another arrow on the string drew back again, watched as he took a couple of steps closer to me and turned a little more broadside. i drew back, settled the pin a little farther back on his body and let fly. It was a bad shot but still a good one as i did get him but instead of hitting him through the lungs i hit him square in the neck and broke his neck. he dropped right where i hit him. i don't know if the arrow hit a piece of grass or branch as i was sitting behind a small tree but i got lucky. he is no wall hanger but man was (still am!) stoked about getting him.

i am waiting for my buddy to send me the pictures, because i didn't have my camera with me (isn't that always the case?) but i did have a tarp.

started our hunt at 7:15- walking into the fields and ended at 8:30 with a deer on the ground!
Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Default Good job Gongshow

Way to go, I think any animal with an arrow is a trophy in it's self.

Can't wait to see the pic's
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 AM

Nice going! I love when "the plan" actually works.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Default some pics

The pics finally arrived today!

They are not the best field shots as all we had was my buddy's cell phone, but they are better than no pics at all!

No wall hanger but I'm not complaining!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg October_17@28yards2.jpg (75.4 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg October_17@28yards3.jpg (86.4 KB, 762 views)
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Congrats.........Marco
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM

congrats!!!! I think you needed a second shot cause your a lefty
Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Who does you photography.....Barney Rubble?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 PM

Whats with the pile of guts or whatever to the left side of the picture if this deer hasnt been gutted yet?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 PM

Congrats on your deer!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Congrats Gongshow, nice work!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Awesome, Gongshow. Congrats!

Stinky
Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM

congrats on the deer

timba
Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Nice one Gong.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM

@ Buckmaster- The first shot was a warning. I like to give them a sporting chance! And he walked even more to my right after the first shot, giving me a better angle!

@ triple b- those pics are from a cell phone, thus the poor quality.

@ KBF- that dark spot to the left is all the congealed blood from where he bled out. I guess we didn't pull him far enough away when we took the pic. The other side of his face was all red from lying in it too.

@everyone else- Thanks for all the replies. I am heading back out there this weekend to try for a couple of does or a moose, as I see there is still one hanging around. We put up a couple of treestands last wekend and hopefully they pay off on Saturday!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 AM

Nice work James !
Love the story that describes the hunt, always makes for good hunting stories that go along with the pictures. And you have the same luck I have, every time I bring a camera I don't get a shot at something, and when I don't bring it that's when I down something. My very first deer my uncle came out to take a picture with his camera (old style - not digital) and took a bunch of pictures............with no film in the camera ! Go figure.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM

went out saturday evening to sit in one of our stands on the same piece of property that i got my buck on. we placed our stand a couple of yards further down a trail that i had set up on last year. I arrived at 3:30 and by 4:45 had two does and a buck walking under the stand. I decided to try for the first doe as she was slowly making her way to a tree i had flagged at what i thought was 15 yards (really it was 20). As she passed behind some trees i drew back but the noise spooked her and she jumped a little bit further away from me. so i held and waited. she slowly began moving towards the tree i had flagged but this time was a few yards beyond it, so i settled my 20 yard pin on her and waited for a clear shot. she finally presented me with an oppurtunity and i let the arrow fly. btw, i LOVE the luminocks! i could see exactly where it went. which was right underneath her belly!she took off, but didn't go to far. i tried grunting and blowing at her, but she wouldn't come back. while all this was happeningm the buck just stood there, kinda confused, and the other doe, took off about twenty yards away from me into some thicker bush. They hung around the stand for about 15 minutes afterwards then just walked off. I can't wait till the next time i get the chance to go sit. Now I know my ranges and won't make the same mistake twice!

not a success per se, but still a success for me. to get the oppurtunity to have a shot with the bow and to even see game while in the stand makes a successful trip for me.