Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Default thinking of adopting a dog... what can I expect from this combo breed

Border Collie / Jack Russel.

Its 4 years old, very calm, seems good with young ones, as well as other dogs. Will this dog sniff out grouse? I know it will require a good walk. Its a nice looking dog, I like mutts, it likes me, and sits and lays down on command already. Already Spayed and micro chipped. Its at Edmonton SPCA

edit:::::: added a picture of the dog i took on my cell phone today

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 01-22-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Its 4 years old, very calm, seems good with young ones, as well as other dogs. Will this dog sniff out grouse? I know it will require a good walk. Its a nice looking dog, I like mutts, it likes me, and sits and lays down on command already. Already Spayed and micro chipped. Its at Edmonton SPCA
Had a collie/russel mix with a little hound I believe was the best dog I ever
had was smart, mild tempered,was never on a leash or tied up but never left
the property.Had a dog door into the shop When i came back would hear my truck down the road and would be sitting at end of lane by mailbox waiting for me. You should have a good dog there good luck. post a pic if you get him/her

EDIT: just seen the pic nice looking dog
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

should be a good all around dog but it mostly depends on how much smarter you are than the dog and how much time your willing to spend teatching it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Yes she is a cutie. The girlfriend has a Shihtzu / Poodle ugly little thing... that gets along with other dogs. So we are taking him in to the SPCA tomorrow so they can interact. Apparently this border collie / russel cross is great with other dogs. But she was brought in cuz the old owners had a dog that didnt like her She didnt even try to lick my hands or face which is great, she was very happy, tail wagging, sit and lay down.

So really..... will she sniff out grouse? I dont want a hunting breed like a lab or a pointer or wut have u... just a good ole mutt That may or may not flush a grouse. dont care if she can retrieve it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM

My bet is that would be an awesome little dog. Looks like he's got great personality.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM

I didn't mean for that to sound offencive but if you watch people with there dogs. the dogs are the ones commanding the people to do as they want and the trick is to get the dog to want to do what you want. if you get a dog that wants to please you you have half the battle all ready won the rest is spend time with it and show them what you want from them. and when they screw up just go over it again with them never yell and swaer at them or hit them. if you do you will they only work for you out of fear and never be a good dog.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
So really..... will she sniff out grouse?
There is only one way to know the answer to that.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 PM

Lonnie.. i didnt find anything offensive. lol Good advice.

As for the grouse... reason I ask... is my sisters old mut would sniff out grouse like crazy. Fire a gun and it would take off for 100 yards, lol
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lonnie.. i didnt find anything offensive. lol Good advice.

As for the grouse... reason I ask... is my sisters old mut would sniff out grouse like crazy. Fire a gun and it would take off for 100 yards, lol
Mine never took a step that her nose was not on the ground.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Two great breeds.
Border number one in intelligence rating.
JRT confident far beyond their ability.

I would expect this dog to kill cats and hide the bodies.

The perfect dog in my opinion.

And probably the best grouse dog in the world.

Looks like a cutie.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM

What a cutie. I think with that mix she'll probably work for you and could be trained to sniff out grouse with a bit of work if she doesn't come by the 'jack' nose naturally. If you can, take a wing in with you just to see if she's interested in it, or you could put some bird scent (buy a bottle at wss or the like stores) on a piece of cloth and see how she reacts. Like Redfrog said, border's are very intelligent and jack's do have hunting heritage so I think you have a bird dog in the works and are finding that pup a home and saving her the needle. Have fun!!

Danni
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:

edit:::::: added a picture of the dog i took on my cell phone today

Just off the top of my head i would say instead of having a black and white , long haired blur , what you would have is a short haired black and white blur!!!LOL!!
I'd lay odds it is going to be one smart puppie as well as energetic!=>)
Cat
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Looks like there might be a little blue heeler in there as well with the speckling, JR and BC are both intelligent breeds, she's definitely going to need a TON of exercise. Kudos for you for adopting a dog, IMO, these mixed breeds that come from shelters turn out to be the best dogs because deep down, they know they've been given a second chance. In my experience, a dog is as good as the owner, I'm sure what ever you're willing to put into her, she's going to give back 10 fold
Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM

ABB just do it. Best dog I ever had was from the SPCA. The wife claimed he was more trainable than me. hehehe Cats were his #1 enemy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Just wondering with her being 4 years old, if she will be trainable at all? lol Just on my way back from a quick road trip to Llyodminister. Going to pick up the GF's rat of a Shihtzu and she if the two dogs get along.

Hmmmmm wonder if this dog with swim? Or like water period.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM

I think you'll find it great for grouse. They tree from dogs instead of running. Bro had a terrier/dachs cross that rode on Quads, chased coyotes out of the bush and was a pal number one. Cousin always said. "what if the coyote turns on him." Bro's answer was the coyote doesn't know the size from the bark. The dog retrieved as well and a Canada was almost all he could handle. Dragged them by the neck. Was a lot of boo hoos when he passed on.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Smile Go for it!

You can't tell what kind of dog you'll get without training her. She will love it, it'll do you and the other dogs a world of good too. Show her the birds you want her to find, make friends with her, and keep your thumb on the safety, she'll see the bird before you do so be ready.
I'd encourage retrieving too, she'll like it and you won't have to look for cripples.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Unhappy

Went to go get her and someone already adopted her

was not impressed should have gotten there for when the SPCA opened

Since im now in a dog buying mood... I think ill do some research on a breed to look for maybe even get it as a puppy. Im now allowed a hunting dog in the house
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Went to go get her and someone already adopted her

was not impressed should have gotten there for when the SPCA opened

Since im now in a dog buying mood... I think ill do some research on a breed to look for maybe even get it as a puppy. Im now allowed a hunting dog in the house
That's too bad. Keep trying the SPCA/pound, or many of the rescue operations in town. NASAP is a good one to work with.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Smile Watch this site

You sound like you would be a great owner. Just watch this site and there will be a great dog come up sooner or later and the 2 of you will be great friends come fall.
When it comes to training your new partner there is lots of help on this site.
Your heart is in the right place and that is the most important part of this whole equation!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Default dogs

I haven't read any of the other replies, but I used to raise and breed dogs. You never know what you will end up doing this. The collie, will want to herd and control. The jack will, just want to control. That being said, you may have a dog that will try to get, what ever you are herding, to get there as fast as possible, which may result in a ..stampede...or a dead dog...not a good combo.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 AM

if your looking for a dog & not pure bred some thing with black lab usauly makes a god all around dog ( kids,hunting ) I had a lab and cockerspanal cross that showed no intrest in birds but loved to case baers & cougers you never know what what your going to get .
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Banned

Rescue a dog from there and they will be forever your best friend from their heart , they are not stupid , they know where they are , just look at their faces when you visit the place , sad , when you take them home their so happy their whole body is a wiggle machine.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Rescue a dog from there and they will be forever your best friend from their heart , they are not stupid , they know where they are , just look at their faces when you visit the place , sad , when you take them home their so happy their whole body is a wiggle machine.
Still kinda choked that she got adopted before i got there. But I had to be in Lloydminister early morning. We are going to go back on the weekend and see what popped up. Not in a big rush now. Take my time.

Anything I can look for in a dogs behavior that will show signs of a good dog around kids and for hunting? or even just being a good buddy ?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Be 150% sure you are going to have tons of time for the dog. If you are not sure, have to work long hours, or if there is something foreseeable in which your circumstances change a lot resist the temptation. Dogs are just fantastic friends and companions but the number of dogs on Kijjiji people want to give away because "We just don't have the time." is totally astonishing.

To your question about age, I think most dogs are still pretty trainable even if they get a bit older. Also a pup is going to be way way more work than a dog the age of the nice black and white one you liked.

Good luck in your search, (as I mentioned look at the 'free dogs' section on Kijiji, many fine looking dogs on that site)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Smile Do you drive a truck?

There are certain occupations where the dog can accompany you to work. They love that too. I don't recommend a puppy for that type of activity.
There are lots of dogs on Kijiji, I'm very suspicious of some of those ads.

A dog is a constant companion who improves your life or is a big inconvenience, it all depends on your point of view.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM

You were in Lloydminster? There are 4 timmies there.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM

fish e o has some puppies to give away. They look pretty cute and I've met the mom. A really nice quiet dog.