Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Dog nearly abandoned?

I wasn't going to post this up, but I thought a ton about this last night and I'm still really ****ed off with what I saw yesterday.

My girlfriend and I were on a short hike in the Bragg Creek area when we came across two other hikers saying there was a loose dog on the trail ahead, just wanted to give us a heads up as we had a dog of our own with us. No big deal, just carry on and check out what this dog needs.

We came across the dog at the bottom of a run off gully that lead into the creek that we were hiking down. It was clear that someone had gone up the drainage, but the dog was at the bottom barking, clearly scared. I felt something was clearly wrong with this picture so I scrambled the gully to see if anyone was injured at the top. Not seeing anything, we quickly returned to our vehicle and headed to the information centre (no cell coverage). We reported the dog and the trail to the guy on duty there and he called out some COs to collect the dog and see if anyone was injured.

Within 15 minutes, two COs were on scene and they asked me to meet them down there and take them to the dog. By this time, the dog had attempted to get up the ridge making it really difficult to access. One CO went around to another road atop the ridge and one of the COs and myself went to get the dog. After scrambling around for 20 minutes trying to chase the dog down, I finally got the leash on the dog and I walked it back to the parking lot where another CO was to meet me. The CO I was with continued up the trail.

The dog was clearly cold and exhausted, it had been alone for two hours at this time (at least, that's when I first came across it) barking non-stop. The dog couldn't even make it up some of the hills back to the parking lot, I had to carry it (no easy task in deep snow, big girl!). The dog was clearly scared but was completely friendly with me.

I waited about 15 minutes at the lot for a CO to come get the dog, when two younger guys with a pack of dogs behind them (I'm young myself) stumble out the bush and say, "Hey, that's our dog! Where'd you find her?"

After explaining what happened and that two COs were currently looking for them they kind of shrugged it off and asked for me to give them their dog. I'm not a big guy by any means and I wasn't going to put up a fight by myself out there so I turned over the dog to them and proceeded to write down the plate numbers... just as the CO arrived.

The guys explained at that time that they realised one dog from their group was missing once they ascended the ridge. They figured she couldn't make it up (she was old) so just left her behind. I don't care what they say at this point, they were leaving without her. They were undoing their snowshoes and preparing to pack up before they saw me with their dog. They were leaving her behind.

That dog was going to die that night without rescue, it was only about an hour before dark and we were the last on the trail. I'm skeptical the guys could have even got out to the dog by dark had they decided to rescue her.

The dog was in so much distress, her paws were frozen, she was hungry, she drank a litre of water while we waited. And so tired from the non-stop barking. She could barely make the 1 1/2 km trip back to the lot without taking breaks every few minutes.

At that point, the CO collected my details and sent me on my way, I have no idea if these guys faced charges but from the attitude of everyone present, it seemed like there was nothing that could be done. I couldn't wait around, first, the guy sent me on my way and second I had a dinner I was already late for because of helping out this dog. So I really have no idea what happened from this point.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but what do you guys feel about someone that leaves their dog behind in the snow for several hours? I'd never leave my pup behind... I really don't think this dog would have survived. I didn't feel comfortable in leaving the dog with these guys, they were so oblivious to the effort that was required to rescue the dog and what shape the dog was in. But with the CO on scene at that point, it was all beyond my control.

Alot of praise for the COs too in this case, they were on scene immediately and had no reservations about slogging up the steep hill to rescue the dog or take a look for the people (which at the time, they presumed were hurt or injured). Very professional.

Just ****es me off when people treat their animals like commodities, oh well, she's old, just leave her behind. What the hell? Frustrating to say the least.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:51 AM

I would have given them a piece of my mind and found out oif i could lay chsarges against them myself.
I HATE to see animals abused or abandoned.
Cat
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

I would of liked to have given them more then a piece of my mind. **** does animal abuse **** me off to no end. I am all for legal hunting and trapping/fishing, But when someone pulls a cruel act on an animal, That crosses the line. Unfortunately in this country these serious crimes don't warrant serious punishments.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 PM

That's unfortunate and a very sad story. Good on you Geo for taking action, lot's of people can't be bothered...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Did they figure the dog was taking a taxi home?

Sounds like they needed a 'beat down' or a kick in the face.
where a cop when you need one?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Unhappy Not that uncommon.

I hate to say it but that behaviour is not that uncommon. Just like dumping garbage in the ditches in rural Alberta. A few times a year I see a dog on the road side trotting after cars hoping that its owner has returned for him. It is just heart breaking, sometimes there are 2 dogs.

I pick them up and take them to the shelter and hope for the best. The people dropping the dogs off, I'm sure tell themselves "he's going to a nice farm family" when in truth the animal will starve.

If we could ensure that these people are not allowed to own a dog, I'm all for it.

It happens a couple of times a year. On my walk last week I found the remains of a young pit bull that was wrapped in a blanket and set on fire.

The poor animal.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM

I wish the CO was a few minutes faster getting to me and the dog, then he could have taken it rather than having the "owners" take it back. He literally rolled up just as the "owners" were loading the dog into their truck. Nothing I could do, there was two of them plus 5 big dogs versus me and my little beagle cross. Mouthing them off not knowing when the CO was coming probably wouldn't have been smart. The best I could do is turn over the dog and take plates/descriptions. Good thing he came just as I turned over the dog though.

What really ****ed me off is that these guys had five or six other dogs with them. Clearly they can't be responsible enough to take care of them all.

The dog had no ID tag (but she had a collar) and no tats in the ears by the way, no real way for these guys to prove it was their dog... if there was more people with me I may have bit a little more forceful, but again, by yourself not exactly smart.

Can't get it out of my head about what kind of condition that dog is in today. No idea. Hopefully it was an honest mistake and the dog is no longer suffering and is warm with a big bowl of food and some water. But somehow, I doubt it.

These guys were completely unappreciative either of the efforts of myself or the COs. Not even a thank you. I was up on a 100 foot steep ridge in 2 feet of snow trying to get their dog for them, a slip could have been the end of me. No concern either that two COs were out there on the ridge looking for them in fading daylight. Didn't give a ****. Seemed like we all inconvenienced them.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
It is just heart breaking, sometimes there are 2 dogs.
That's really what it was for me. This dog was so desperate. It was whimpering, barking, crying out up there. And it tried several times to get up the ridge to where the owners had got to, it was just too old/tired to make it. The dog was at the point of exhaustion in trying to get to these idiots that didn't give a **** for his safety or health. The dog loved them, they didn't give a **** for the dog.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM

I don't think it's a problem. We should all head out to the bush and let our dogs go when we're done with them. In 100 yrs someone will form a group to protect them and they will be considered a "part of our history".

tm
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Depressing story.
Dog could up ended up in a trap (happened not so far from there last November), a coyotes/wolf's belly or simply froze/starved/dehydrated to death. Not a nice ending for a dog that was once part of your family and relyed on it's owners for basically everything.

Geo, if you honestly believe that the dog was in 'Distress' you could report the incident to the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). They are always ready to charge hammerheads who leave their animals in distress. Proving 'Distress' however is not always clear cut, but you would probably feel better hearing their definition and if they can proceed with an investigation.
Sadly however, the dog still had a really Bad Day because it's owners were irresponsible and showed extremely poor judgement.
On the other hand, Kudos to you, good going Geo.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Well done, Geo.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Gone Hunting

How much you want to bet that the owners were PETA members?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Sounds like they deserved punch in the nose to me. If your dog is old or can't keep up on such a hike leave the thing at home. Nothing surprising though there are a lot of idiots that should not have or be asked to look after dogs.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Good on ya!

It's a a shame the morons got the dog back. They obviously don't really care much and that doesn't bode well for the future?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I don't care what they say at this point, they were leaving without her. They were undoing their snowshoes and preparing to pack up before they saw me with their dog. They were leaving her behind.
That's your assumption. You don't know that for a fact. If I had searched an area and my dog was not where I had left it (because someone had removed it) I would go and put the other dogs away and take off my pack before I went back to look further. You also said you could drive around to a different access point to look for the dog (As the other CO did).

I just know there are two sides to every story, and frankly am tired of busy bodies trying to tell me how to care for my dog. I smile and say thanks, then have to politely explain how they have no damn idea what they are talking about, but in a really nice way LOL

Leaving a dog for two hours in above zero temps vs. leaving it 23 hours a day in a 10 x 10 enclosure at -20. We all have our opinions about it...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Okotokian - I agree, that's my opinion. I don't know if the CO pressed charges at this time. If he does, well, then someone clearly agrees with me.

There wasn't anywhere to drive around, the road the CO went up was a lease road that was gated. The dog was barking and howling for well over two hours. It's not like it was just patiently hanging out. She was completely exhausted, I had to carry the dog up some of the hills on the way to the parking lot. That's not just letting the dog hang out in the snow, that's having an animal suffer. They didn't go back to the area where the dog was, they came back down another ridge. They didn't go anywhere near the dog. And with all the howling and barking, only a braindead idiot could miss it.

There wasn't time before dark to get to the dog from the parking lot when the guys got back. One was wearing pyjama pants so I doubt they were really thinking about or prepared to head back out in the dark for a few hours to search for their missing dog. We're not talking avid outdoorsmen here, we are talking about two punks with too many dogs to keep track of.

I won't tell anyone how to care for their dog if it wasn't howling and barking in fear/pain. And actually I didn't tell anyone how to care for their dog here either, I left it up to the CO to determine if anything was criminal in what they did. The dog was seriously stressed.

My opinion though is the dog was left for dead. My opinion.

My opinion is if someone leaves their dog unattended and unleashed with no ID on a trail in k-country, you're an idiot. My opinion. It's irresponsible pet ownership regardless. Who knows if the dog was to attack a kid or someone wandering by. You don't leave a dog out unattended like that. Ever. Bottom line. Again, just my humble opinion. You're entitled to yours.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Still, I commend you for pitching in and taking all that time to try to help. Good on you. Lots of others wouldn't bother.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Okotoks is right, there are always two sides to a story. But from your description it sounds disgusting. I guess there are the rare people out there that care so little for their animals that they could nonchalantly leave them like that. But everyone I know would be beside themselves if their dog was missing. Seemed these two didn't have a care.
I am impressed with your willingness to get involved. Good on ya.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTW View Post
I would of liked to have given them more then a piece of my mind. **** does animal abuse **** me off to no end. I am all for legal hunting and trapping/fishing, But when someone pulls a cruel act on an animal, That crosses the line. Unfortunately in this country these serious crimes don't warrant serious punishments.
MICHEAL VICK gets two years for operating a dogfighting ring. O.J SIMPSON by all evidence killed his wife and gets off scot free. The problem is that animals are beginning to have more rights then people. Don't get me wrong I have zero tolerance for animal abuse either but this world we live in is getting strange.