Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Thumbs up Tories to make citizen's arrests easier ...

... and it sounds like it could happen fairly soon; http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/To...489/story.html

A long time over-due, if you ask me. I say they call it the 'David Chen Law' - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/.../?from=1879917

TF
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Problem is Harper let it get into the news, now the liberals are reading it, and that will cause them to vote against it. Just like any of our political parties who are not in power. if the libs were in power and the cons read this, the cons would vote against it also. its a no win situation.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM

I wonder if home invasions stats or crime in general would drop if we were allowed to actually protect ourselves?
I know the only time i would even think about calling the cops is if i forgot the combination to my gun safe.
And the guy in Ontario was a firearms instructor???
The article I read said he actually shot at the losers trying to fire bomb his house? My question is why did he miss????
In this anal country of ours if yer gonna point a gun at someone you better end them right there on the spot .
Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
Problem is Harper let it get into the news, now the liberals are reading it, and that will cause them to vote against it. Just like any of our political parties who are not in power. if the libs were in power and the cons read this, the cons would vote against it also. its a no win situation.
What would you suggest? Under our stupid procedures you still have to let the opposition read the legislation before you can pass it in Parliament. I think Harper's working on that loophole though.

Actually, Harper is a bit behind the curve here... From October 2010:

"On Friday, Chow (Olivia. NDP, Layton's wife) presented Chen with a copy of her private member’s bill, which would allow citizens to detain criminals within “a reasonable amount of time” after a crime is committed.

Under current laws, store owners can only apprehend thieves caught in the act.

“It is so unfair to see hardworking storeowners like David Chen be treated like criminals,” Chow said outside his Lucky Moose Food Mart...

Chow’s bill, dubbed the Lucky Moose Bill, expands on another private member’s bill, which would allow shop owners to arrest persons they have “reasonable ground” to believe committed the offence. That bill, proposed by Joe Volpe, Liberal MP for Eglinton-Lawrence, had its first reading June 16."

Oh well, better late than never. Perhaps this will go through.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Thumbs up I like it!

Yeah it is about time! I wish we had a mojority government then this would pass through nice and easy.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Yeah it is about time! I wish we had a mojority government then this would pass through nice and easy.
Catalyst for this was an immigrant, store owner, in Toronto. Of course the Libs, including that slime Joe Volpe, see vote potential here, so they are all in favor. Somehow, if it had been a white guy, in Alberta, I think things would be different.

Grizz
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Default what's reasonable??

I hate when they use the word reasonable. How in the heck are we supposed to know what that means. Reasonable to me is different than what's reasonable to an RCMP, a criminal, a judge, jury, crown prosecutor etc etc.

Hopefully the Conservative legislation makes more sense.