Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Thumbs down Y2Y Taking Aim at Flathead Region between Waterton and K country.

http://www.canmoreleader.com/Article...aspx?e=2937360

Wilderness groups promote possible new national park
Local News
By By Hamish MacLean Canmore Leader
Posted 4 days ago

This week the efforts to turn a relatively untouched area of conservation importance into the newest national park come over the Continental Divide in the form of a special presentation in Canmore.

Wendy Francis program director for the Yellowstone to Yukon initiative said that she expects the topic to resonate in the Bow Valley.

"I think we all care about things like biodiversity and the grizzly bears that live in Waterton and the Flathead are connected ecologically and genetically to grizzly bears that are closer to home, like Kananaskis Country," Francis said. "And we want to make sure that those genetic connections are maintained."

And while the threats of coal bed methane mining and other forms of mountaintop mining in the area were mitigated roughly a year ago with what was seen then as a significant victory for many who have tried to protect the land — with B.C. premier Gordon Campbell's announcement of a moratorium on mineral development in the region came the second push for conservationists.

"It's still not completely protected," Francis said. "It's still open to forestry, there's increasing motorized (vehicle) and snowmobile access.

"It's definitely not a 'park' status."

The entire Canadian Flathead watershed is about 1,500 square kilometers and the southernmost third of that, approximately 500 square kilometers, is hoped to become a new Canadian National Park Reserve, Francis wrote in an email to the Crag & Canyon. Adjacent Waterton Lakes National park is almost exactly the same size at 505 square kilometers.

Banff's roughly 6,000 square kilometres may seem to overshadow the much smaller proposed park, but Francis said that the preservation of the area of a park is important.

Rob Buffler of the Canmore-based Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative, Harvey Locke of the WILD Foundation, Casey Brennan of Wildsight, and Sarah Cox of the Sierra Club of B.C. will speak, there will also be a 25-minute short film viewing and on-display will be 13 large-format photographs.

Each speaker bring different perspectives, and other than Locke, Francis said, the others could be lesser known in the Bow Valley.

Cox lives in Victoria and the Sierra Club has done a lot of work in raising awareness in the Lower Mainland, Francis said, but not as much work has been done out here.

Brennan of Wildsight will speak as a conservationist with a local perspective. Based out of Fernie, Wildsight has been to raise support in the community that calls the area home. Locke operates at an international and political level. While Buffler as the executive director fo the local Y2Y initiative and from the Y2Y perspective Francis explained the Flathead area represents a "pinch point" which can maintain the flow of wildlife back and forth across the 49th parallel.

"It's a very important area for the whole Yellowstone to Yukon region."

The short film describes not only the importance of the area and the steps that have been taken to protect thus far, but as a part of that process has been allowing photographers from the International League of Conservation Photographers to capture some of the biodiversity and beauty of the landscape in images, their journeys play a prominent role as viewers enter — perhaps for the first time — the region.

"The Flathead is unique because it has no permanent settlement," Francis said. "No structures in it — there are logging roads, but there is no permanent human presence — its natural integrity is incredibly high compared to most low elevation valleys."

The free event is Thursday, Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the Canmore Collegiate High School auditorium.

hamish@canmoreleader.com

Too bad I read this after the fact, but probably wouldn't have done any good anyhow. This whole Y2Y concept is VERY scary to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM

This Y2Y concept has been going on for years now.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
This Y2Y concept has been going on for years now.
I know, I'm just sort of getting my head around it now a bit. Wasn't really aware of it until the last year or so.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I know, I'm just sort of getting my head around it now a bit. Wasn't really aware of it until the last year or so.
Your right diver scary stuff for sure.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM

These Y2Y people make my blood boil.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

there was a place in bc that the tree hugers got decared a park miles from nowhere right after a logging company built a realy nice road in there to use as thier main hual road. well when it got made it to a park the logging company took the road out and land scpade it back to its natural state. then thoughs same tree hugers bitched and complained, about there being no road to even get any where close to where this new park is (west kootneys,slocan valley ) and that is what they should do to the flat head if they insist of making it it to a park.as there is lots of room there for everyone , loggers, miners , oil&gas, hunters, fishermen, ect: as long as it is properly managed.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

The "green" movement is set on developing the Flathead as a National Park. A recent poll in a local Fernie newspaper, The Free Press showed that residents were against the development of a National Park in the Flathead valley; 91% said "No Park". The paper "mistakenly" printed the results in the poll in the reverse, quoting 9% said "no". I find it interesting that the paper was circulated on January the 20th, the same day this Y2Y gathering in Canmore was to happen. HMMMMmmmm.....! The printer responsible for the publication said recently, in an email, that a story and correction will appear in this week's paper. We'll see!
http:// www.flatheadfacts.com/

Click on the link for additional information regarding the Flathead!

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM

The goal of our modern National Park System is to preserve a representitive portion of each of Canada's 39 natural regions (terrestrial) Some areas - like the Rocky Mountains, are very well represented - perhaps even over-represented, while others are not represented at all. This 'system' is 60% complete.

Rather than expend resources to expand regions that are already well represented - like the Flathead, Parks Canada should concentrate on completing the park system by filling in the un-represented regions.

Attempts by eco-zealots to pressure Parks Canada into doing what amounts to a land-grab are ill concieved, and I don't think that the province of B.C. will agree to turning that resource rich area over to federal control. As long as the local communities support the responsible multi-use management that the Flathead currently enjoys, I doubt the eco-zealots will be successful.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Attempts by eco-zealots to pressure Parks Canada into doing what amounts to a land-grab are ill concieved, and I don't think that the province of B.C. will agree to turning that resource rich area over to federal control. As long as the local communities support the responsible multi-use management that the Flathead currently enjoys, I doubt the eco-zealots will be successful.
Here's hoping that the local communities band together and not let the Y2Y get their way.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Here's hoping that the local communities band together and not let the Y2Y get their way.
X2
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post

These Y2Y people make my blood boil.
One of those groups, who are impossible to please, unless you preach from their bible.

Grizz
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
One of those groups, who are impossible to please, unless you preach from their bible.

Grizz
Hence the blood boiling. It always amazes me that these groups could get everything they wanted and at the end of the day, still be unhappy. I don't get it, doesn't make any sense to this guy.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Can't fix stupid. Problem is, there's a lot of stupid people out there....

I know this is REALLY going to dissapoint BB416, but Justin Bieber has now started campaigning for PETA now too!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm not necessarily opposed, per say, to what Y2Y is trying to do. At least the ultimate goal. But how they are going about it is all wrong.

National Parks aren't any more 'protected' than other areas, in fact, I would suggest they draw far more tourists than other park areas. I don't see busloads of tourists from Asia in Waiparous....

Perhaps we could use more balance between various user groups, but National Park status is not the answer.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 PM

http:// www.flatheadfacts.com/

Click on the link for additional information regarding the Flathead!

I encourage everyone to check out the link and post comments through the "contact us" option. Just repeat your thoughts voiced here on this forum!

http://www.ferniergc.com/