Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Default carry and transport outboard motor

I just bought a Tohatsu outboard motor from the boat & sportsmen show. It's a 6HP motor so will fit my inflatable perfectly I hope. My reason to buy a small motor is for the easiness for transportation.

I downloaded the manual from internet. To my surprise, the manual said I have to carry and transport the motor vertically. The manual also mentioned that I have to drain the gasoline and engine oil if I really want to laid down the motor into my car!! but still need to raise the motor head 2 to 4 inches in order to avoid leakage.

This is driving me crazy.... Hope someone can tell me this is a over shot

Thank you in advance! John
Old 03-18-2018, 11:46 AM

I have no idea if I'm correct but I bet it's lawyer talk for if the fuel drains out n you start yourself on fire, well they told you so.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:51 AM

If it is a 4 stroke it should be up right. The gas issue is self explanatory no!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 PM

It shouldn't have oil in it new and you can transport them generally on the side tiller up depends on crankcase filler location

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Usually can't lay down 4 strokes, the oil will migrate into the cylinders. They even recommend not leaving them tilted up on the boat when parked. Not an issue with 2 strokes.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:23 PM

My 5hp Mercury can be laid down tiller down (shifter up). I carry it around for a spare and lay it down in the bow of the boat because I don't like how it clutters the back of the boat if I have it on the transom.

Isn't the Tohatsu a Mercury copy? Or is it a Yamaha copy?

Either way I was surprised to hear it can't be laid down. I'd look for more info on that.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-18-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Usually can't lay down 4 strokes, the oil will migrate into the cylinders. They even recommend not leaving them tilted up on the boat when parked. Not an issue with 2 strokes.
Spot on!!

Perfect reason to stick to 2 strokes for smaller motors. Four strokes are heavy, and not nearly as convenient for back country packing, though they do run quiet and idle nice if they are in a permanent mount situation.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Default Motor can be laid down with tiller down

The manual that I have says that your 6 hp Tohatsu may be on its side with the tiller down only. For some reason, the 2.5 hp Tohatsu is the other way up. The diagrams on p. 28 show how not to do it. The motor on its side is tiller up which is wrong. Memorize: tiller down .

This is to prevent oil draining from the crankcase into the cylinder. When I bought my motor, the mechanic said that if you forget and get oil in the cylinder, the motor will be difficult or impossible to start. You have to pull the plug and pour out any oil. Clean the plug if necessary. Top up the crankcase and it should start.

Hope this helps.

BTW Tohatsu makes the small motors that Mercury and Nissan relabel.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
The manual that I have says that your 6 hp Tohatsu may be on its side with the tiller down only. For some reason, the 2.5 hp Tohatsu is the other way up. The diagrams on p. 28 show how not to do it. The motor on its side is tiller up which is wrong. Memorize: tiller down .

This is to prevent oil draining from the crankcase into the cylinder. When I bought my motor, the mechanic said that if you forget and get oil in the cylinder, the motor will be difficult or impossible to start. You have to pull the plug and pour out any oil. Clean the plug if necessary. Top up the crankcase and it should start.

Hope this helps.

BTW Tohatsu makes the small motors that Mercury and Nissan relabel.
Thank you so much for all the inputs. The manual says:

I don't know what to do... who would drain all the engine oil in this case?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM

They have changed the manual somewhat. I don't really think they will have changed the motor so I would bet that they are erring on the side of caution. I have carried my motor on its side, tiller down, many times with no problems. I have a friend who has done the same with his 9.8 hp Tohatsu.

If you drained the oil, why would you elevate the power unit to avoid oil spillage as in the second bullet point? There wouldn't be any oil to spill.

I would give it a try, with the oil in it. I wouldn't anticipate a problem, but the mechanic told me the fix is easy.

If you are still in doubt, find the local Tohatsu dealer and ask there.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Thank you SK270! I really need to ask why the manual is different from mine and yours. I bought MFS 6C.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM

The reality is nobody is going to travelling with their portable outboard vertically and nobody is going to be draining anything ...... and for 50 years people have been transporting and using portable 4 strokes with zero issues myself included.

just find out "which side up" and enjoy the motor.

Years ago I built a plywood/2x4 "cradle" to keep my outboard secure and properly oriented (in my case tiller handle up) in the bed of my truck.

If you orient it correctly you should have zero issues.

I do always, however, stand it up when we get to our destination and/or back home on a saw horse.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
My 5hp Mercury can be laid down tiller down (shifter up). I carry it around for a spare and lay it down in the bow of the boat because I don't like how it clutters the back of the boat if I have it on the transom.

Either way I was surprised to hear it can't be laid down. I'd look for more info on that.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have a 6 hp 4 stroke Merc and it also can be laid down.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=Tfng;3753831]My 5hp Mercury can be laid down tiller down (shifter up). I carry it around for a spare and lay it down in the bow of the boat because I don't like how it clutters the back of the boat if I have it on the transom.

Either way I was surprised to hear it can't be laid down. I'd look for more info on that.[/QUOT

Tohatsu makes all Evinrudes 15hp and down. Nissans are rebadged Tohatsu and 30hp and down Mercury outboard are all Tohatsu. In short Tohatsu is he second largest outboard manufacturer in the world. Decent motors from what I’ve read and a bit cheaper then the name brand models.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post

Tohatsu out of Japan makes all merc. Nippon and tohatu motors up to and including 50HP
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM

I’ve heard there’s an issue with the float in the carb if laid down on the wrong side but I haven’t chased up any real data on it. You haven’t got a sticker on your engine?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 AM

keep the carb on the up side
Old 03-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Got my brand new Tohatsu 6HP....however, I realized today this new motor was sitting in the shop upside down for who knows how long when I went there to pick it up. I found it out by my name on the packing box today. Will I have any trouble with this motor? I know there is no engine oil but I guess the factory must tried the motor with engine oil before shipping out... what should I do? hopefully no harmful to my new motor...

A photo of my brand new motor:
Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 PM

Had a Honda 4 stroke at one time.
I'm sure that it said right on it to lay it down only on one side.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Default 4 stroke

I have a honda 8 and there is a side you can kay it down on, case even has hard points for that purpose. This is my 3rd small outboard and there is always one side down, one up recommended.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Had a Honda 4 stroke at one time.
I'm sure that it said right on it to lay it down only on one side.
Yes same with my 7.5 Honda twin
Old 03-31-2018, 06:45 AM

My Yamaha 4 stroke 6hp motor I got an be laid on both it’s sides and the front (tiller up). It has a special markings that mean it can be laid on that side. Great little motor, no troubles and I bought it in 2015.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:03 AM

My 115 lb. "portable" 20hp 4 stroke Merc manual says To prevent problems which can be caused by oil entering the cylinders from the sump transport motor one of three ways upright, tiller side down or back side down.