Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Rocky Gun Range

Special thanks to Backwoods Runner and his wife for all their hard work at the range the last few days, it is even better than before. Furlong will be happy you moved the 25 & 50m berms. Is that a regulation to have that plywood on the front of the prone spots, it's about 2'' too high, a guy has to have his bipod jacked up and then the rear bag height becomes a problem, can't shoot prone anymore myself. Too bad one of the directors was not interested in a possible $1000 donation of new AR-500 gongs.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM

it is always nice to see range improvements (some like them and some keep complaining at the changes)

not sure what you meant by the director not being interested in a 1g donation, seems odd to me, was this offer made in writing and refused in writing or is your mind just confusing the issue or shooting on crown land, if so then perhaps an apology is in order,

please do not confuse 2 separate and apart and different issues,

I am posting this as my individual person and not as any club executive,
however I sit on various clubs as a discipline member or chairperson and can tell you just like in the dodge commercial "this can't be good"

tread carefully young man, it seems you are trying to poke the rocky guys in the belly or the eye and let me tell you no gun club directors or execitive need to be publically taken to task in this manner,

seems you are on a mission to ridicule or humiliate (along with your friends or the internet sheep) for folks just trying to do thier job, this must stop,

how is that for letting you know you are heading down the wrong path,

you need To focus more on shooting and gunsmithing and posting happy thoughts rather than trying to bully people around,

this may backfire on you and then you just complain it must the the gang or cult out to get you, this is not the Quebec construction industry or government so we do not bully people around

I know you will say whatever but you should be smarter than that, we can disagree on the internet (and I found your posts up until you got your periods last week to be informative and perhaps funny form time to time but this has crossed the line)

please go to the doctor before it is too late,

there now go to the corner and pout, and no nasty PM's or e-mails as that is not good karma,

let the games begin

and no I do not want to shoot against yoU at 600 yards I cannot see that far,

please enjoy your day and let us get you back on track to be a beter member of the rocky area, the club deserves a better person please try to become that guy

Cement Bench
Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM

How 'bout you-all donate $1000.00 worth of steel to the range and call it quits.
Sounds a lot more productive to me and everybody wins.
Focus on the range we have at hand instead of a cutline in the bush.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
it is always nice to see range improvements (some like them and some keep complaining at the changes)

not sure what you meant by the director not being interested in a 1g donation, seems odd to me, was this offer made in writing and refused in writing or is your mind just confusing the issue or shooting on crown land, if so then perhaps an apology is in order,

please do not confuse 2 separate and apart and different issues,

I am posting this as my individual person and not as any club executive,
however I sit on various clubs as a discipline member or chairperson and can tell you just like in the dodge commercial "this can't be good"

tread carefully young man, it seems you are trying to poke the rocky guys in the belly or the eye and let me tell you no gun club directors or execitive need to be publically taken to task in this manner,

seems you are on a mission to ridicule or humiliate (along with your friends or the internet sheep) for folks just trying to do thier job, this must stop,

how is that for letting you know you are heading down the wrong path,

you need To focus more on shooting and gunsmithing and posting happy thoughts rather than trying to bully people around,

this may backfire on you and then you just complain it must the the gang or cult out to get you, this is not the Quebec construction industry or government so we do not bully people around

I know you will say whatever but you should be smarter than that, we can disagree on the internet (and I found your posts up until you got your periods last week to be informative and perhaps funny form time to time but this has crossed the line)

please go to the doctor before it is too late,

there now go to the corner and pout, and no nasty PM's or e-mails as that is not good karma,

let the games begin

and no I do not want to shoot against yoU at 600 yards I cannot see that far,

please enjoy your day and let us get you back on track to be a beter member of the rocky area, the club deserves a better person please try to become that guy

Cement Bench
Thanks, I think we are all back on track now I hope. Thinking aloud here but it would be nice to get some kind of a pot going and the proceeds go to more range improvements, not sure how it could be done. Guess everyone would have to get along for starters.

The other mess stemmed from what I thought was a friendly gesture to the select few who knew where that spot was, I did not intend for what became of it. So I apologize for that and I did not know the photo was tagged, hope we can put that in the past.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
How 'bout you-all donate $1000.00 worth of steel to the range and call it quits.
Sounds a lot more productive to me and everybody wins.
Focus on the range we have at hand instead of a cutline in the bush.
What would work best with current berms? I have some full size ipsc ordered for myself but thinking 12" gongs would work best from 3-600m
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM

.....now kiss and hug and makeup already.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM

I had the pleasure of using the range this week. I'm a new member and just signed up. I was very excited to see the range for that day would be open because it was the only day that worked for me to take off work and do some shooting.

The work that has gone into the range is very impressive. Thanks for all involved.

The barrel limiters were originally thought to be a problem but once I shot both prone and from the bench I discovered neither were a problem. The benches caused a slightly high situation with my rear bag, but nothing that prevented me from shooting accurately with a 6-9 bi-pod at or near it's lowest setting. A small riser would fix any issues. It was explained to me that they were required by the CFO.

I was surprised to see the gongs were not AR500. It would also be something I could help donate to the club to add some variety to the sizing.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I had the pleasure of using the range this week. I'm a new member and just signed up. I was very excited to see the range for that day would be open because it was the only day that worked for me to take off work and do some shooting.

The work that has gone into the range is very impressive. Thanks for all involved.

The barrel limiters were originally thought to be a problem but once I shot both prone and from the bench I discovered neither were a problem. The benches caused a slightly high situation with my rear bag, but nothing that prevented me from shooting accurately with a 6-9 bi-pod at or near it's lowest setting. A small riser would fix any issues. It was explained to me that they were required by the CFO.

I was surprised to see the gongs were not AR500. It would also be something I could help donate to the club to add some variety to the sizing.
I hope to pick mine up Monday morning in big valley, I will be away for a bit. Will order (4) 14" x 1/2" AR500 gongs, that is $500 + tax + 100 for fuel. Anyone else care to chip in, I'm all ears. Someone can kick in a tip for Eugene to set them up. Not sure what the scoop is on the 1200m or if that is going to happen but some full size ipsc x 1/2" would be nice for that if it actually comes to fruition.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM

We are looking at setting 1,2,3 MOA sized steel at 200m to 600m. We already have some that are ar500 installed and will be hanging more. We are also in the planning stage of new bunker/shroud designs. Hopefully a lot less maintenance.

We all hope everyone enjoys all the upgrades. We hope to have all ranges certified very soon. It would of been an easy endeavor if money was no issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Kudos to the Rocky Exec / members / workers for making some great looking improvements..and sharing the pics. Once again, the bar is raised!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Skytop, FYI I bought a full size ispc 1/2 inch target, I believe it was about $500.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Skytop, FYI I bought a full size ispc 1/2 inch target, I believe it was about $500.
Yup, with the stand right