Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Insurance Claim

I have been putting this process off for a long time and waiting for a rotten day to turn up.

Well here I am 4 hours later with my hunting equipment ALL inventoried, documented and photographed. What a crappy job but it is well worth it. Like you, I work hard for my toys.
It is all on a memory stick and will be stored in my safety deposit box.

I encourage others to follow suit. With the insurance companies being front and center these days, I want the process to be as seamless as possible should an unfortunate set of circumstances occur; and to assist the police investigation.

A friend thought he would rely on his memory. As unfortunate luck would have it, his house was broken into and all his locked guns and equipment was stolen along with other valuable possessions.
He had to jump through a lot of hoops from this incident. His insurance guy told him that it would have been a lot easier for him and the claim if his possessions had been better documented.

It was him who encouraged me to complete the aforementioned process.

Cheers......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM

You can also upload it all to photobucket as a secondary set, incase your stick gets corrupted or something
Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 PM

Default Ive been thru it

Couple years back I lost a truck and fifth wheel to a fire. And I can tell EVERYONE ONE HERE DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. We had to try to remember everything in our trailer and truck. And insurance people are really sticky We had to do all of the homework for them after the list was taken in and the insurance accepted the claim we had to go out and price out everything on the list. I can say it took 1 year to complete the file and now everything we own is picture documented and stored safely else where as well online
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM

It seems weird that they would make you price everything out yourself. My insurance company hired a private appraisal company that specializes in contents claims. I believe it was eAdjust. They come and talk to you, take your lists, and put it into their software that has prices for stuff.

But Yes, you still would need to know and prove what you had, so documenting your stuff is a good idea. Keep in mind that after a traumatic event when you will need to try to remember details, your mind may not be as sharp as it should be.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Bump

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 PM

I Definitely SECOND this! I didn't think much of it until I did an investigation for someone who had a lot of tools stolen. We got the guy that took some of the stuff but they are convinced he took all of it. Crappy thing for the guy is that their employees had probably been taking stuff from them for years and they just now noticed it and are trying to pin him with everything. Needless to say after that I took pictures of everything I own that's worth anything, made a spreadsheet with make/model/serial numbers and keep a copy on my computer, a thumb drive as well as in my email as a saved draft!

ALSO double check to make sure your insurance company covers your firearms! A coworker had his garage burn down due to a wild fire last year. He lost his entire gun safe including several rifles worth over $7000. Insurance wouldn't cover them as there was a tiny clause in the policy noting cash, guns, jewelry and precious metals were not covered. Total BS but he learned the hard way!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Never assume that general contents insurance will cover large amounts of firearms or sports equipment. Many companies have limits on how much of each type of property, that the standard policy covers. Riders to cover firearms or sporting equipment, can get expensive.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Records won't help much if they are lost in a fire. Put the info in a safety deposit box.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand