Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Wall tent service

So long story short I would like to get a roof jack sewn into my wall tent and abandon the side exit. The biggest and imho only advantage to the side exit is the ease of putting a tarp over the tent. My plan is to have a roof jack installed on the tent and tarp. Airdrie canvas wants 450 bucks to do the job and I feel like shopping around may be in order to say the least. That's basically half the price of the tent I have.

Looking for other places to do some shopping around. If the quoted price is competitive I'll bite the bullet and try it myself.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:25 PM

I think there's a sponsor on Alberta outdoorsmen that does wall tents repairs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I think there's a sponsor on Alberta outdoorsmen that does wall tents repairs

For sure and should have mentioned in my post that I'm looking for a more local option. Central Alberta preferable.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Try Canvassmart in Calgary
Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 PM

I had one put in by Kovacs shoe repair in Red Deer a number of years ago. They repair nuts and canvas. Not sure if they still do?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Stove pipe rings are not cheap. I would imagine that was close to a 1/3 the cost. And you need 2 right? One for the tent and one for the fly. Remember there is a lot of labor to do what you want, not only putting in the jacks with flap, but patch up the old hole too. IMO that not a bad price.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Stove pipe rings are not cheap. I would imagine that was close to a 1/3 the cost. And you need 2 right? One for the tent and one for the fly. Remember there is a lot of labor to do what you want, not only putting in the jacks with flap, but patch up the old hole too. IMO that not a bad price.
I have a custom-made fly made for my 12 x 14 with a stove ring 350 bucks plus a new ring put in my tent was over a hundred bucks this was about 10 years ago in Edmonton AAA canvas not sure they're still around get a custom-made fly well worth it save your tent will last forever then you really don't even need one for your tent just the fly

Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Just buy a roof jack and get out heavy sewing needle and strong thread, will not take long. We have had to sew 3-4 foot rips in tent in field after bear through cots through the walls or 4 foot rip in roof after 3 feet of snow broke the ridge pole. A chimney ring is small job.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM

These are really handy. I use it to sew leather, canvas, rifle slings or any other heavy materials. Very easyy to use and you can put in your own stove jack in about a half hour. Takes less time than packing it up and taking it to the repair shop. You can get different size and shape needles for various jobs. Most leather and tack stores have them, got mine at Tandy Leather 40 years ago.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-03-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Too bad you aren't closer. I could lend you those tools.
You don't have your area posted (should be mandatory) but I have a friend who travels to Red Deer every coupla weekends.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 AM

My custom fly wood stove ring

Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into it a bit more. The idea of a custom tarp is good as well. Once this poly one has bit the dust for good will definitely look into it.

Sewing my own will probably be the route I go. Can't be that difficult if a guy takes his time with it.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
These are really handy. I use it to sew leather, canvas, rifle slings or any other heavy materials. Very easyy to use and you can put in your own stove jack in about a half hour. Takes less time than packing it up and taking it to the repair shop. You can get different size and shape needles for various jobs. Most leather and tack stores have them, got mine at Tandy Leather 40 years ago.

Decided to order one of these off amazon just now, thanks for the suggestion.

Bushmaster much appreciated on the offer, would've hit you up on that but thinking about it I have a few projects where one would come in handy. Decided it's probably worth owning one.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Decided to order one of these off amazon just now, thanks for the suggestion.

Bushmaster much appreciated on the offer, would've hit you up on that but thinking about it I have a few projects where one would come in handy. Decided it's probably worth owning one.
Glad to help. Let us know how you make out and maybe post some before and after pictures so others that want to do the same can get an idea just how easy it is.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 PM

Just a little bump. Got the stove ring sewn in today with the stitcher that Dean 2 recommended (thanks again by the ways).

One thing I'll mention is that it's definitely a two person job. I had my wife on the other end of the tent to serve the tail end through the loop you need to make a lock stitch. Without two people it would be very not fun. It took a couple hours to get the initial stitch sewn around the stove ring and then about 45 minutes to get the second stitch done. I know "where's the pics?" and I promise I will post some once we take it out to slave next month for some fishin. I just didn't think to take some while packing it back up into the bag and don't feel like packing it out again. I'm pretty happy how it turned out considering it's my first attempt at sewing anything but it's short of professional.

Now back to the well of AO information. Can anyone recommend an adhesive to get the the sili fibreglass to stick to a tarp for a few five days before I stitch the tarp jack in? It would be great to do that on the go while setting it up the next time and as long as it holds for a few days I can stitch it in later.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Just a little bump. Got the stove ring sewn in today with the stitcher that Dean 2 recommended (thanks again by the ways).

One thing I'll mention is that it's definitely a two person job. I had my wife on the other end of the tent to serve the tail end through the loop you need to make a lock stitch. Without two people it would be very not fun. It took a couple hours to get the initial stitch sewn around the stove ring and then about 45 minutes to get the second stitch done. I know "where's the pics?" and I promise I will post some once we take it out to slave next month for some fishin. I just didn't think to take some while packing it back up into the bag and don't feel like packing it out again. I'm pretty happy how it turned out considering it's my first attempt at sewing anything but it's short of professional.

Now back to the well of AO information. Can anyone recommend an adhesive to get the the sili fibreglass to stick to a tarp for a few five days before I stitch the tarp jack in? It would be great to do that on the go while setting it up the next time and as long as it holds for a few days I can stitch it in later.
High temperature stove pipe silicone ? Available at Crappy Tire.

Grizz
Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
High temperature stove pipe silicone ? Available at Crappy Tire.

Grizz
I think I know the stuff you are talking about and if it's the same I don't think it will work. I tried it this last fall to get a new gasket to adhere to my stove door but it didn't go so well on the fly. With a completely controlled environment where you can get it to high temp at the exact right time it might work. In the end I don't think a jack will see that.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:17 AM

Try Alberta Tent and Awning in Calgary. The new owner John is trying to promote his newly acquired business and would likely do better on pricing.
(403) 291-1122
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 AM

Wow, yeah that's alot.

I had Airdrie Canvas repair a torn wall near a seam and install a new stove jack and I think I paid $200 - perhaps there is some confusion about the scope of the work you want done.

I was very pleased with the work they did.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 PM

I appreciate the input from the last couple of posters but the stove jack has already been sewn into the roof of my tent. For the record I did reply back to Airdrie Canvas with my concerns over the cost of what really is not a big job and didn't hear back from them.

In the end the job cost me roughly 80 bucks. 30 for the speedy stitcher from amazon and about 50 for the the silicone coated fiberglass which I obtained from "Ripstop by the Roll" (shipping was a bummer) and I only used a small portion of the material ordered so far.

I was more looking for some input as to an adhesive that would work for the silifibre to tarp I cover the wall tent with so I could avoid getting it set up and placed before I take it out next month. I'm hoping to set up the tent and get the hole cut in the tarp and just stick the stove jack on for a few days and then stitch it in later.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the input from the last couple of posters but the stove jack has already been sewn into the roof of my tent. For the record I did reply back to Airdrie Canvas with my concerns over the cost of what really is not a big job and didn't hear back from them.

In the end the job cost me roughly 80 bucks. 30 for the speedy stitcher from amazon and about 50 for the the silicone coated fiberglass which I obtained from "Ripstop by the Roll" (shipping was a bummer) and I only used a small portion of the material ordered so far.

I was more looking for some input as to an adhesive that would work for the silifibre to tarp I cover the wall tent with so I could avoid getting it set up and placed before I take it out next month. I'm hoping to set up the tent and get the hole cut in the tarp and just stick the stove jack on for a few days and then stitch it in later.
Glad the stitcher worked out well. First couple of times takes a little longer till you learn exactly how to do it. One trick is to mark the stitch points with a ruler to get real even stitches.

As far as temp attaching the plate to the awning any adhesive will work. The glue will not get very hot, if it did the canvas tarp would burn. Just glue the plate around its edges for the trip then sew it in place. Having it glued will make sewing easier anyhow.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Carpenters white glue should work. On pourous materials it helps to do 2 layers of glue, the first you rub well into the fibres then a second layer of glue that sticks to the first layer of glue. You could also go to white line shelters in
alder side and buy their glue...that stuff is wicked.

If you want to attach temporarily, alligator clips, pins, clothes pegs, spring clips, magnets on each side even a stapler will work.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:24 PM

I have used the high temp silicone to glue a new stove jack into my wall tent. I bought a speedy stitcher to sew it in once the silicone set, but the silicone has held strong for 2 years, and I still haven't got around to sewing it.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/i...-0642712p.html
Old 02-16-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
I have used the high temp silicone to glue a new stove jack into my wall tent. I bought a speedy stitcher to sew it in once the silicone set, but the silicone has held strong for 2 years, and I still haven't got around to sewing it.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/i...-0642712p.html
How long did it take to set up? As mentioned hoping to do it as a part of the set up on an actual trip.

I think THIS is the stuff Grizzly Adams was talking about and ya that might do the trick.

For some reason I was thinking of something else. Apologies Grizzly for dismissing, my bad.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
How long did it take to set up? As mentioned hoping to do it as a part of the set up on an actual trip.

I think THIS is the stuff Grizzly Adams was talking about and ya that might do the trick.

For some reason I was thinking of something else. Apologies Grizzly for dismissing, my bad.
Just make sure you really “squeegee” it into the fibres and it’ll hold for a long time.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 AM

If your fly is a poly type ( rather than canvas) I would just cut the hole and let the stove pipe melt the edge of the hole to the required size. The silicone takes at least a few hours to set. Once the hole is in you have the perfect template for positioning your stove jack after your trip.