Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Default Kimber Montana vs sako finnlight

I've been looking at picking up a sako finnlight. I was just waiting to see one in my caliber. And then yesterday a post about a kimber got my attention. So now I found a sako finnlight and a kimber Montana, with the green fiberglass stock, both in my caliber for pretty much the same price.

I've heard a lot of love for these kimbers, and heard about a few issues. I don't know too much about them. And to be honest I don't know a great deal about the sakos either.

What do you guys think about a comparison of the two rifles. Side by side value wise. With whatever modifications they may need to correct any issues. I know there are used rifles out there but I'd prefer to buy new. These rifles are in my price range and I'd be buying a new scope also.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 AM

I would go for the Finnlight if it were me. No history of accuracy issues and butter smooth action.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM

Sako
Old 09-16-2020, 09:28 AM

I have been through my fair share of rifles. Personally I have had both of the previous guns and have a few items on each. The montana is a great rifle, some shoot great, some shoot okay... for the price could be better. Very tough to shoot a lightweight rifle really accurately, if you are not used to this it takes practice. The Finnlight is heavier and balanced nicely. There has been ejection issues with some of them. The stock finish gets marked up pretty easily for a hunting rifle, which the Kimber does not.

For my money... I would look really hard at the Christensen arms Mesa. I have had all three and by far prefer the Mesa as fit and finish is much better and the weight is balanced very well. I have two different caliber sand they both shoot better than expected.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Accuracy due to how light the Montana comes in at was one of the issues I was concerned about. Now this is something i could train myself to overcome. I might want something a bit easier to shoot right out of the box. I'll take a look at the Mesa.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Kimber/Sako

I own both. Kimber is a nice rifle but the Sako simply out classes it.
Accuracy has been amazing for my Sako 85 and 75.
Sighted my 338 yesterday one ragged whole.
Buy the fin

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 09-16-2020, 10:54 AM

I have had 3 montana's... 338 federal and 2 300wsm's ... all about an inch +/- ... they are purpose driven and no frills... if you want the ability to pound tent pegs get the montana ... all the sako's i have had were better in the accuracy dept

Last edited by stob; 09-16-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: wording change
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM

Ive had five kimbers, still have four and have never had a hard time getting one to shoot. For Montanas Ive got a 30-06 and a .338 win mag.

All groups are 3 shots at 100 off a bipod.

The 06 with 130 Barnes

The 06 again

My .338 with 225 ttsx

My .243 and 7mm-08 shoot about the same. Its my opinion that most of the accuracy issues are from guys who cant shoot a light rifle. Im sure some of the problems are truly with the rifle but of the five Ive owned they were all shooters. I did have a bent firing pin with random ftf events once and korth sent me a new firing pin to repair it. Im not sure how it got bent as it was like that when I got it. Once the pin was replaced I never had another issue.
I cant speak for the sako as Ive never owned the one your asking about.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:13 AM

I always come across good used deals on Finnlights, anywhere from $1400-2000 depending on use. I have seen some damn good condition Finnlights in the $1600 plus or minus $100.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I've been looking at picking up a sako finnlight. I was just waiting to see one in my caliber. And then yesterday a post about a kimber got my attention. So now I found a sako finnlight and a kimber Montana, with the green fiberglass stock, both in my caliber for pretty much the same price.

I've heard a lot of love for these kimbers, and heard about a few issues. I don't know too much about them. And to be honest I don't know a great deal about the sakos either.

What do you guys think about a comparison of the two rifles. Side by side value wise. With whatever modifications they may need to correct any issues. I know there are used rifles out there but I'd prefer to buy new. These rifles are in my price range and I'd be buying a new scope also.

If you are looking for light, accurate and reasonable price, check out the Barret Fieldcraft. They are pretty close to a NULA at less than half the price. Of the two you started with Kimber does make a lefty so never had one. The Sakos I have owned were all good shooting rifles, but I don't own any of them presently. I do have a Weatherby MKV Ultra light in 257 Bee that is about the same price and I actually like it better than the Sakos.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you are looking for light, accurate and reasonable price, check out the Barret Fieldcraft. They are pretty close to a NULA at less than half the price. Of the two you started with Kimber does make a lefty so never had one. The Sakos I have owned were all good shooting rifles, but I don't own any of them presently. I do have a Weatherby MKV Ultra light in 257 Bee that is about the same price and I actually like it better than the Sakos.
Thanks Dean I'll look into those as well. The boss is a lefty too. This rifle will be an upgrade for myself. Next one will be a lefty to upgrade hers. Mine is a ruger American and hers is a savage axis 2. Both of which are working but we do want to step it up a bit.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Barrett has discontinued the Fieldcraft for the time being. Something about a military contract taking up production space. Although they might not have been selling like they hoped. Glad I got mine when I did. Very nice rifle.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
Barrett has discontinued the Fieldcraft for the time being. Something about a military contract taking up production space. Although they might not have been selling like they hoped. Glad I got mine when I did. Very nice rifle.
yes, they were teasing some .224 valkyrie for shot show before so the grendel hoard were getting excited, they do look like awesome rifles, hope they start back up when covid has relaxed and business gets more back to usual...a rifle to watch for
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post

Surprised as they were selling a ton of these. They had promised a LH version but they kept delaying it so I finally lost patience and bought something else. I shot one right hand and I was very impressed. Wolverine Supplies is still showing a bunch of different Chamberings in stock for about $2,600 a pop. There are probably other Canadian dealers and I would imagine Prophet River or IRGuns can bring them in, but I don't know the other Canadian dealers are.

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...CTURER=BARRETT
Old 09-18-2020, 11:31 AM

Check out Bashaw sports,i just bought a great shooter in a sako.It takes one heck of rifle before I say great shooter,specially in 300 win in A7 roughtech for 1129 reg 1599 in most stores ,I have bought 5 k rifles that never shot this well,plus my first set of reloads to boot.I did change out the recoil pad.

I have owned one kimber and it was a very nice rifle,shot really good and went out with a friend on a hunt for the day and he tried it and begged me to sell it to him,so off it went..

Pud is great guy plus they got a wicked online sale plus in store on sako's plus fast shipping.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-18-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Surprised as they were selling a ton of these. They had promised a LH version but they kept delaying it so I finally lost patience and bought something else. I shot one right hand and I was very impressed. Wolverine Supplies is still showing a bunch of different Chamberings in stock for about $2,600 a pop. There are probably other Canadian dealers and I would imagine Prophet River or IRGuns can bring them in, but I don't know the other Canadian dealers are.

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...CTURER=BARRETT
IIRC, Barrett stopped making the Fieldcraft pre-Covid. They have a military contract that they have to meet and assigned Fieldcraft resources to fulfill the contract.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 PM

I have nothing against the Sako Finnlight except that for the money, the stock feels cheap and poorly designed. I feel like I would want to replace the stock.

I have a few Kimber Montanas. IMO, the Montanas are near perfect. You do have to learn to shoot them from the bench. IME, they do not do well on a firm surface. They do best on a softer surface (use a towel to pad the rest) and they need to be held firmly on the bench. Do not let them free recoil. They are easier to shoot in the field. On shooting sticks, I still grip the fore end firmly. Less so using a bipod. Because of their lightweight, they do recoil more than heavier rifles, but the stock design is excellent (for me) at handling it.

Overall, I prefer the Kimber Montana.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:17 PM

I have had the Sako Finnlite (270 win) for 3 years and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 10:04 AM

To Bacons original question:

Finnlight and Montana are two very different rifles.

The Kimber is truly minimalist, in terms of weight, comb height, and stock profile and design. Pencil thin barrel and blind magazine. An awesome rifle (kind of regret selling mine in .280ai) meant for a specific purpose of lightweight and multi day trip.

The Sako is better refined, smoother, but is by no means an ultralight. It feels more luxurious in hand and holds its aim better (for me, anyway) because of its balance and weight. Stock is relatively well designed. Felt recoil is less, and is pleasant to shoot at the range.

Having owned both, I opted for the Finnlight as my go-to hunting rifle. Even for multi-day backpack hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Well I've had 11 sako's at one time. I currently now have four and I just purchased my first Kimber mountain ascent chambered in 280 Ackley. I probably won't grab my sako rifles anymore. This 280ai out shoots all my Seiko rifles. Just over 6 lb scoped and Clover leaf shots with factory loads as well as my hand loads
Old 10-10-2020, 08:26 PM
Banned

Sounds like someone is in the honeymoon phase.😉👍
Old 10-12-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Sounds like someone is in the honeymoon phase.😉👍
Its not a Grendel. Its a real keeper

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2020, 11:55 AM

So Friday I went out and set up a target to go through the extensive Christensen Arms break in process. Fire 6 shots, then clean the barrel. Running a nylon brush through 30 times, so 60 passes, more cleaning, and then 6 more shots, and then the same cleaning process again, until 50 rounds are fired.

With the limbsaver recoil pad I had no issues with comfort. Even after 50 rounds it was like I hadn't shot anything. My other rifle also chambered in 7mm08 with no recoil pad does get tiring after a shooting session.

I had a few targets and wanted to shoot some groups, but after I got all set up and walked out to set up my target I realized I had chosen a muskeg field. I knew this area looked too good lol. So I made one trip to set up one target, and one trip to clean up. Those walks were exhausting.

I didn't mess around with any load development. Just wanted to fire the 50 rounds, then start messing with loads. The cheapest bullets I had were 140 grain nosler ballistic tips so that's what I used. With 42 grains of IMR 4350. Which is the starting load in my nosler book. And 50 new hornady brass.

I have some Accubonds and tipped tsx both 140 grains, and 175 grain long range Accubonds. So I'll develop a load for each of these.

With my wobbly table and chair and not concentrating too hard on accuracy, it didn't shoot bad at all.

Loading the rifle from the top and having the cases straight so they don't bind up in the magazine is something I'll have to get used to.

So to sum it up... so far I'm very pleased with this rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201012-104131_Gallery.jpg (36.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201012-104147_Gallery.jpg (28.3 KB, 29 views)