Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 09:18 PM

Default Back Surgery - Surgeon Recommendation

So had a MRI on my back and now wait to find out the results next week. But what I am wanting to know is, if I need back surgery, is there a back surgeon someone would like to recommend here in Calgary, that has had a successful surgery and the outcome has been positive? This way I have someone to put forward to my doctor if needed, knowing that someone has had a positive experience after a back surgery. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
So had a MRI on my back and now wait to find out the results next week. But what I am wanting to know is, if I need back surgery, is there a back surgeon someone would like to recommend here in Calgary, that has had a successful surgery and the outcome has been positive? This way I have someone to put forward to my doctor if needed, knowing that someone has had a positive experience after a back surgery. Thank you in advance.
Best of luck, I had back surgery in my 20s. I live in Manitoba though so can't suggest anyone, all I can say is try to get on 2 lists like I did, went faster.

Lots depends on what type of surgery, mine they cut half my disc out and let it fill with scar tissue, supposed to be better and last longer than putting something in place or fuse or rods. But it depends on what you need. Mine was L5 S1 area, lower back above tailbone, major issues with sciatica nerve prior. I would say I healed up to 90% likely, I was able to go back to being a powerlineman afterwards, but since moved into a different role.

Take care of your back and get on a good reconditioning program after surgery, did wonders for me, I'd never been so strong than during that program.

Best of luck.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:10 AM

I got squished into the tube on Wednesday at the miserable accordion hospital in Edmonton.
now wait until doc appointment to see what they say. Will follow this thread.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Dr. Cory Cundal. I’ve not had back surgery done by him, but a good friend that did. She said it was life changing.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:20 PM

Default Back Surgeons

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Dr Ken Thomas
Caleo Clinic Calgary
free to worship in my own way,
free to stand for what I think right,
free to oppose what I believe wrong,
or free to choose those
who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom
I pledge to uphold
for myself and all mankind.”

— John Diefenbaker
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 PM

Back surgery ? Had the MRI, went to a private clinic evaluation at the Caleo clinic a year ago and was told I would be waiting 18 to 24 months to just see a surgeon. Caleo doesn't do the surgeries, they just refer you to a surgeon. At that point my comment was, something else could very well kill me in the mean time. It's ridiculous and one can only hope Kenney's plans to use private clinics speeds up the process.

Grizz
Old 09-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Dr. Cory Cundal. I’ve not had back surgery done by him, but a good friend that did. She said it was life changing.
Cundal.
Great with the knives and a good guy. Had 2 discs done in 2013 and by 2014 a 3 level fusion. Big surgery.

The wait from losing feeling in big toe to first surgery was almost 3 years!!!!

Did take a long time to have done through first booking with Caleo health. A lot of damage during the wait but the fusion is working but takes a lonnnnnnnng time. Lots of sciatic days the past 10 years and it is still there in the left leg.

Best of luck.

Now dealing with a fractured ankle......... good grief!!!!
Old 09-16-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Cundal.
Great with the knives and a good guy. Had 2 discs done in 2013 and by 2014 a 3 level fusion. Big surgery.

The wait from losing feeling in big toe to first surgery was almost 3 years!!!!

Did take a long time to have done through first booking with Caleo health. A lot of damage during the wait but the fusion is working but takes a lonnnnnnnng time. Lots of sciatic days the past 10 years and it is still there in the left leg.

Best of luck.

Now dealing with a fractured ankle......... good grief!!!!
Cory is a good guy. Fractured ankle? You may need to change your handle to limper1 now
Old 09-16-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Cory is a good guy. Fractured ankle? You may need to change your handle to limper1 now
No doubt!!!! 6 months in and a lot of swelling still. Physio twice a week and I ordered a rowing machine as cardio is tough. Need some quality core and cardio exercise. Next year is the big 50!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Felt extremely lucky to get Dr Dewar UofC before he retired to rebuild my ex wife's spine.
From severe scoliosis and in a wheelchair to walking normally and almost pain free
Old 09-17-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
I got squished into the tube on Wednesday at the miserable accordion hospital in Edmonton.
now wait until doc appointment to see what they say. Will follow this thread.
i had a L4-L5-S1 spinal fusion at the Misercordia 3 years ago from DR henderson
Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 AM

The one thing you need to watch for, some surgeons specialize in lets say a fusion, so they will only recommend a fusion, as that is what they get paid for, they will rarely ever recommend anything else. Why? Money, thats why. Don't kid yourself, it is all about the cash to alot of surgeons.
You need to do some of your own research, and I know it sucks in Canada that way as you have to wait sometimes years to get into a surgeon, but do your self a bit of research. I spend a good while in the hospital last year with a blown out disk at C3 it was pinching on my spinal cord(had a stroke at the same time) Seen some spine surgeons at foothills calgary, and after some research, found out they 80% of the time remove the disk.
I sent my MRI and all other files to a doctor in the states for a second opinion.(I have a friend here in Alberta that is a doctor and this is what he suggested I do) And there was a totally different recommendation. Without writing a book here, I had no surgery, and after 8 months and alot of work done, I am back to normal, and did not have any invasive cutting or fusing. And it did not cost me a first born, nor did I ever have to go to the states.
Just my experence, but going under the knife is not always the only option.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
i had a L4-L5-S1 spinal fusion at the Misercordia 3 years ago from DR henderson
Dr henderson did my wife 16 years ago. Unsuccessful surgery. Chronic daily pain that has impeded her entire life. She is not a big woman either. Told her there was nothing else he could do.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
The one thing you need to watch for, some surgeons specialize in lets say a fusion, so they will only recommend a fusion, as that is what they get paid for, they will rarely ever recommend anything else. Why? Money, thats why. Don't kid yourself, it is all about the cash to alot of surgeons.
You need to do some of your own research, and I know it sucks in Canada that way as you have to wait sometimes years to get into a surgeon, but do your self a bit of research. I spend a good while in the hospital last year with a blown out disk at C3 it was pinching on my spinal cord(had a stroke at the same time) Seen some spine surgeons at foothills calgary, and after some research, found out they 80% of the time remove the disk.
I sent my MRI and all other files to a doctor in the states for a second opinion.(I have a friend here in Alberta that is a doctor and this is what he suggested I do) And there was a totally different recommendation. Without writing a book here, I had no surgery, and after 8 months and alot of work done, I am back to normal, and did not have any invasive cutting or fusing. And it did not cost me a first born, nor did I ever have to go to the states.
Just my experence, but going under the knife is not always the only option.
Very true. However, in my case Cundal told me I could have artificial disc replacement from Dr. Bouchard. I inquired about wait times and he figured 12-18 months on top of the 36 months I already had in this hell.
I asked him would he do the fusion and he obliged willingly.
He was not out for self interest.
Always helps to do your own research though and we have to know our own bodies as well.
Can be a tough situation regardless.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Felt extremely lucky to get Dr Dewar UofC before he retired to rebuild my ex wife's spine.
From severe scoliosis and in a wheelchair to walking normally and almost pain free
That is great to hear!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 PM

Also interested, as I have issues with my L5 having next to no pad left and is slowly grinding and fusing to the disk under it. Very painful every day, barely sleep anymore.