Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Default Berland

decided to head up to Fox Creek area to do some fishing sat. hit up Tony Creek first. nice little stream, some good riffles and pools. caught a few grayling nothing of size but still fun little stream. didn't spend much time on it but seems like an interesting stream to explore.
headed to the Berland after that. river was fairly low for this time of year and not crystal clear but still good visability. fished the big pool under the bridge and caught an Atha Rainbow. was pretty shocked to see that. it was of decent size probably 10". nothing else from the pool after that so moved upstream. fished some riffles and low and behold caught another Atha B on a dry. about 8" or so.
then something funny happened. caught about a 12" grayling on an orange stimulator, brought him in and as i was reaching down to release him, he snapped my line and off he went with a big stimulator hanging from his mouth. so continued to fish a bit more upstream catching the odd grayling here and there. most were in the 8 to 12" range, had some bigger ones come up and hit the fly but not take it. so back downstream and hit the first section and caught another grayling. as i am bringing him in, i see something orange hanging from his mouth, it was the grayling that snapped my line. got him in this time and got both flies back. first and probably only time that will happen to me.
so fishing was okay but not great on the Berland. very few risers and pretty inconsistent action all day. think it might of had something to do with the weather changing. but catching two Atha RB was the hi lite of the day. nice to see they are in there and looking healthy.

still better to be out on water then stuck in the city.

Mike
Old 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM

I'm sure I know that bridge, crossed it, fished it lots. The Berland can hold some surprises. I used to rent a big whitewater raft 30 yrs ago and a bunch of us would float down from that bridge to the Athabasca where we were camping on the Sept long weekend.

Fun times.