Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 07:39 PM

Default Save Shunda Creek Center

I am starting this thread, in the hope of getting support for this amazing organization, that is near and dear to me.
Shunda Creek Center, is an addiction treatment center for young males, aged 18 to 24.
It is an outdoor adventure addictions therapy program. It is situated near Nordegg, and the program is 3 months in duration. The participants will do a variety of outdoor adventures, from canoeing, hiking, rock climbing, x County skiing, it goes all year, so the activities will vary. This is not glorified camping, but a very intensive and interactive program, meant to challenge and change behaviors.
I know this because my son attended the program last fall. The program saved his life, and our family. I cannot thank the incredible staff enough.

I think that all members of this forum can relate to how therapeutic, being in the outdoors can be. I know it rejuvenates my soul, and makes me feel at peace. I never thought that addiction would be a factor in my family, but it can happen to anyone and any family, regardless of you background or social status. My boy is doing great now, still a few issues to overcome, but he is on the mend for sure. Thanks to the caring and dedication of the staff.

The program is cutting edge, and unique in North America. It has incredibly high success rates for the young fellows that are fortunate enough to attend. The program is run by the Enviros Wilderness Association, in conjunction with Alberta Health Services.
The facility is on a lease site owned by the government. The site has outlived its lifespan and the water wells are no longer serviceable.
They need to move to another location, a few miles away, but that is where the problem lies.
Enviros has been trying to purchase the land, but their lender is giving them the run around. They need to have things in place by the end of August, or the program will be shut down.
I spoke with one of the directors, who advised that they need $900 000 to get the property they are trying everything they can. There is a bit of media attention starting, so hopefully that will help..

Some alumni have started a GoFund Me page......Save Shunda Creek. And their target is $600 000.

I have spoken with my MLA about trying to get the Government to pony up some money to keep this program going. I think the Gov should be funding this, and hopefully they will, but if you are so Inclind, to help out a truly worthy cause, please consider a donation to the go fund me.

Thank you for your time, happy hunting, be safe, and hug your kids.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM

Smile UPDATE Shunda has been saved

Just an FYI, that the Shunda Creek Center was able to secure funding for their new home.
They will now be able to expand to 18 beds from 10, and continue their great work.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this post.

Happy hunting, stay safe and hug your kids.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:19 PM

Good to hear that they’ll keep going.