Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Anyone else screwed over by the airlines?

Here’s a rant... in Feb, i booked a trip to Mexico for my mom for her birthday. It was going to be for her, my 13 year old son, and myself. 4 days in the cancun area in mid April for her 60th birthday. 5 grand for the 3 of us for those 4 days.
Then this whole Covid thing hit. When I booked the trip, it was still a “new flu hitting China” and wasn’t really making waves over here yet.
Anyway, then the government does their travel advisory thing, and westjet cancelled the vacation. It was NOT cancelled by me - i got an email saying it wasn’t happening. I get it, sh!t happens - but then they told me they weren’t issuing refunds, only a credit. I got all ****y, and figured i would check with the travel insurance through my westjet elite MasterCard. Today i finally heard back from them that the cancellation isn’t covered by the travel insurance included with the card.
So now I’m hosed... i understand that they’ve lost a PILE of money due to this pandemic (haven’t we all?) but i sure as heck didn’t put out 5k in February to get a credit that might not be worth anything by the time the pandemic ends.
I could understand if it was ME that cancelled the trip - then by all means, if i cancel, i should be willing to take whatever they offer. But it was cancelled by westjet. IMO, if they cancel a trip for any reason, it should be full refund.
I’m worried that when all of this is over, the airlines and resorts will jack the prices up in order to recoup some of the money they’ve lost. So the vacation that we paid 5 grand for, will now cost us 7 grand or more.
I’ve heard there’s a tentative class-action suit being set up, and I’ve joined the mailing list for any updates on progress... anyone else in the same boat? Can anyone think of any other options other than sitting back and taking it up the proverbial tailpipe?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:23 PM

My daughter is in similar boat, booked westjet trip to Cuba and bought the extra travel insurance even. Westjet also gave her a travel credit instead of refund.

On the flip side, my wife and I booked a trip to AZ to visit our daughter in March, and we cancelled because of travel advisory (covid). My trip insurance through Mastercard reimbursed my taxes and Airmiles I had used. Took a while, I just got it a month ago, but at least they covered it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Seems that the travel credit is as good as it’s going to get. Certainly not ideal, but not a total loss which could be pennies on the dollar if WJ went bankrupt.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:52 PM

I wouldn't assume that prices will go up to recover losses , they may have to discount flights just to sell them, with many people not wanting to travel even when travel restrictions are lifted.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 PM

We had our honeymoon booked to Europe (England, Spain, Morocco, and France) for April and had to cancel. Flight was to London and home from Paris. It was just 2 flights and not a vacation package. They kept our $4k and gave us a flight credit to use till 2022 and we can extend it for another year for $25. They sent an email a few weeks ago and said we can get our money back now if want. Supposedly WJ is doing that for some destinations and Europe was one of them.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:24 PM

If you paid by credit card- talk to your cr card company and dispute the charges. My buddy got all of his 7K back for his European family vacation that way. It took some time and a few phone calls but he got everything back.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:28 PM

Last credit i got from westjet expired before i had a chance to use it and they would not honor it . Read the fine print if you have a credit .
Old 09-17-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Last credit i got from westjet expired before i had a chance to use it and they would not honor it . Read the fine print if you have a credit .
Oh, that sucks!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 PM

My partner and i were headed to surf the Cali coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego

Westjet canceled. Called me and gave me a credit that we have to book within a year. Not travel, just book

I guess a refund would have been optimum but the credit was our only option.

So i guess im definitely going SOMEWHERE in the next 8 months....

Prob surf northern Saskatchewan. Ffs

Anyone know if the surf breaks left or right on Candle Lake???? I need to know
Old 09-18-2020, 07:26 AM

Our oldest and his GF were in Australia when this hit... was on a one year visa so had no return booked, Trudeau tells Canadians to fly home ASAP... so they do, travel insurance won’t cover the return because they had nothing booked! No one books a return on a one year VISA.... so travel insurance was a complete waste...trip was cut short about 8-9months.

LC
Old 09-18-2020, 08:55 AM

Same thing happened to my Wife and I . Booked in Dec 2019 a trip to Vegas in April 2020. Covid hit and the Airline send me an email that they cancelled the flight due to covid. I argued with them for almost 2 months because I felt that they should be giving full refunds instead of travel vouchers because the airline cancelled the flight.

I finally got a hold of my credit card company and filed a claim against the airline. I produced all the documentation that the Airline was the one who cancelled the flights and 1 month after I filed the fraud claim, my credit card company got me a full refund. Had I cancelled my flights due to covid the airline would be within their right to issue vouchers, but because I waited until the Airline cancelled the flight I got a refund, through my credit card company.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
Same thing happened to my Wife and I . Booked in Dec 2019 a trip to Vegas in April 2020. Covid hit and the Airline send me an email that they cancelled the flight due to covid. I argued with them for almost 2 months because I felt that they should be giving full refunds instead of travel vouchers because the airline cancelled the flight.

I finally got a hold of my credit card company and filed a claim against the airline. I produced all the documentation that the Airline was the one who cancelled the flights and 1 month after I filed the fraud claim, my credit card company got me a full refund. Had I cancelled my flights due to covid the airline would be within their right to issue vouchers, but because I waited until the Airline cancelled the flight I got a refund, through my credit card company.

Spot on. If you want cash instead of the 2 year credit, this is the way to do it. Also check to see if your credit card has automatic trip cancellation and or trip interruption insurance that is in place if you charged the costs to the credit card.. Avion, TD Aeroplan etc have about 1500 bucks, some as much as $5,000 to cover lost hotel or rental payments or Airline tickets.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post

This is where I’m at... the airline cancelled the vacation - so they should give a refund. If i had cancelled it, then i think i should be happy to get a credit. I’m currently waiting for a call back from RBC MasterCard you see if i can get a chargeback. I didn’t put out 5 grand just to get a damn credit.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 PM

There is a great FB page that has thousands of these stories, the head guy is Gabor something. He has written guides on how to go about requesting credit card charge backs and this has been a successful resource for many people including myself. Took 100 days from the date I disputed the charges but I got my money back.

The FB page is Air Passenger Rights (canada).
Old 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM

When you book you tickets (Look at the class code)

When you pay the higher prices for the flights, they offer more, like changes, refunds etc...

I had 7 flights during covid cancelled. Various carriers.

(I fly lots for work) All of my higher class tickets have been refunded. Only one was a credit on my account.

Crash
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
When you book you tickets (Look at the class code)

When you pay the higher prices for the flights, they offer more, like changes, refunds etc...

I had 7 flights during covid cancelled. Various carriers.

(I fly lots for work) All of my higher class tickets have been refunded. Only one was a credit on my account.

Crash
Our honeymoon was business class on WJ and they originally only offered flight credits. Since it was to Europe they have allowed us to get a refund now. At first we were fine with the credit as we are annual vacation takers. But I really have no desire to get on a plane now or in the immediate future.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My partner and i were headed to surf the Cali coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego

Westjet canceled. Called me and gave me a credit that we have to book within a year. Not travel, just book

I guess a refund would have been optimum but the credit was our only option.

So i guess im definitely going SOMEWHERE in the next 8 months....

Prob surf northern Saskatchewan. Ffs

Anyone know if the surf breaks left or right on Candle Lake???? I need to know
Opposite of Australia. The North west winds will pile the surf up on Waskateena Beach
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 PM

I had a $10k AirTransat coupon that was supposed to be good for 2 years. Fought hard to get my money back but to no avail. Fortunately TranSat decided to pull out of western Canada and they had no way of accomodating my travel plans and refunded all of my money.