Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 PM

Default Bison Draw Insights

Hi Everyone,
I've also been lucky enough to get a Bison in the draw and went through a few of the posts to see what information I can gleam about this whole thing. Personally I've never been that far north, nor have I ever had to try and extract such a huge animal from the middle of nowhere.

I'm more of a daytrip guy or at least like to have access to a nice spot where I can process my harvest into very manageable pieces, then finish processing it into what I want, or at least prepare it for processing (i.e. debone it) as much as I can for the next day.

I've noticed that everyone is asking what to take and where to stay, and those are awesome things to know, but I have slightly different questions that are currently weighing rather heavily on my mind and i hope that some of the more experienced hunters can assist me in this.

- Leaving from Calgary, how many days would you recommend for a trip up there? (if you could split it into travel and hunting, sweet, if not, how long was your longest trip?)

- How much "total cost" would you estimate it took to facilitate the excursion? (meaning fuel, food, accomodation, gear, processing, etc.)

- You've quartered/sectioned the Bison and loaded it up. Now what? I realize this sounds like a super silly question, but what I mean is; what do you do with it? With temps that low and the 1260km drive back, surely it would freeze? Or am i showing my inexperience with long trip hunting? Do you drop it off for processing in High Level or slog it all the way back and get it worked on here? It's been years since I've had to help butcher a cow (the moo kind), and I certainly do not have the gear to attempt that in my garage. Imagine the garbage can!

I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is what I'm getting myself into before I spend a crapton of money only to lose half of my harvest or worse, just all round contaminating everything. Plus I need to figure out if this is even logistically possible for me to accomplish.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 PM

These are great questions you probably should have considered before you put your name in the draw! You're 12 hours away, that's two pretty long travel days plan for 5 hunting days. Camp in Zama is $200/night/person which includes food. Looking at $500 in fuel, need to bring a snowmobile, I'd say, your looking at $2200 easy, by yourself, which I would not recommend. I wouldn't worry about the meat freezing. If you need help I'll guide you for $500/day + expenses.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM

Ok. Here is my lousy 2 cents

If you make arrangements to stay in a local camp, great. One less thing to worry about. Probably a smart easy way to do it.

13-14 hrs drive will get you there in winter.

I don't know what gear u have but a skidoo or quad would be nice. You will have to keep up with weather and snowfall conditions to decide which to take.

I assume you drive a truck.

You quarter your animal, into game bags, tarp it and drive to Edmonton. I cut, debone, and wrap it for you. You head back to Calgary with most of your bison meat

The above costs in previous post is pretty close.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-23-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
These are great questions you probably should have considered before you put your name in the draw! You're 12 hours away, that's two pretty long travel days plan for 5 hunting days. Camp in Zama is $200/night/person which includes food. Looking at $500 in fuel, need to bring a snowmobile, I'd say, your looking at $2200 easy, by yourself, which I would not recommend. I wouldn't worry about the meat freezing. If you need help I'll guide you for $500/day + expenses.
This Is why I don't Apply.....
Old 07-23-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
This Is why I don't Apply.....
Because I'm condescending, lol. I would like to see the numbers on people who draw this tag and actually go on this hunt, it is a long ways and is generally brutally cold.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 PM

But why even put in for the draw at all? I mean it is seems to be such a long shot...and yet apparently, you can just go up there and shoot one from what I have read in other posts on this topic.

Realistically, a guy could be prepared to spend what has been already mentioned...take the tools/toys already mentioned and if you are tough enough to do it and handle the cold...just go do it.

Draw be damned...

Is that a pretty accurate synopsis?

Cuz I will tell ya what...I am really thinking about it for next year! It would be a trip of a lifetime and a damn cool story! That is...if it is possible as I have summarized above.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 PM

We went last year. We live south of Calgary. Took four days including travel to get there, harvest two bulls, and get home. We burned about 1000 liters of fuel. Three nights in high level at best western $600. Plus meals ,front end loader rental ,one flat tire. $1000 to tan one hide $600 European mount.$750 for professional butcher. The bison quarters froze over night and still mostly froze after traveling home 13 hours. Congrats and start saving your dough now and don't miss out on a hunt of a lifetime.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 AM

Welcome to the forum Syndre

I don't think it's really as complicated as some of you guys are making it out.

High Level is 8 hours from Edmonton at 10k over the speed limit. You leave Calgary at 7:00am and you're there for supper. Grab a hotel for the first night.

Lots of information on where to find critters on here and through the Fish Cops.

2 snowmobiles (quad if there is no snow) and 2 sleighs (quad trailer) and 2 buddies or ideally you could hook up with another tag holder and each bring one friend. You could probably find that person on here.

Take a wall tent, stove and good sleeping bags.

Kill the thing, bust it up and throw it in your truck......drive home the next day. You'll get home late that night after taking down camp in the morning.

Take one week off work (if you're a 5 day a week guy) and that gives you nine days. 1 day to set up camp, 2 days of travel and 6 hunting. Nothing wrong with taking more time.

Butcher it yourself at home.

Please post a bunch of pics of your trip here when you get back
Old 07-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post

I am really thinking about it for next year! It would be a trip of a lifetime and a damn cool story!

You get your draw Jack & 7.......Me and a buddy will drive down the 8 hrs and give you a hand
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM

This would be a dream hunt for me! I sure hope I can draw the tag someday. I have all the gear already required (Sleds, wall tents, toboggans to pull behind sleds, stove, chain saws, winter gear etc)
I would even consider trying the hunt by the park where no tag is required
Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
These are great questions you probably should have considered before you put your name in the draw!
Quite valid. Late night, right before closing for the entries, I figured what's the chance? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And there you go. I got served.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndre View Post
Quite valid. Late night, right before closing for the entries, I figured what's the chance? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And there you go. I got served.
You got the tag. Go get a bison. You will have an adventure. I hope the weather is on your side, and everything pans out. It would be nice if you posted pics too.

You can do it. Borrow an outfitter tent and stove if camp is too expensive.

Team up with someone to share costs. Heck, I'll go with you just for the hunt. I won't do anything that is contrary to regulations, but I can definitely skin and debone the beast.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndre View Post

I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is what I'm getting myself into before I spend a crapton of money only to lose half of my harvest or worse, just all round contaminating everything. Plus I need to figure out if this is even logistically possible for me to accomplish.
This is what kinda ticks me off. I'm sorry but before you put in a draw, you should look at all the variables. Otherwise this could have been a wasted tag that I or someone else on here, could have been drawn for.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
This would be a dream hunt for me! I sure hope I can draw the tag someday. I have all the gear already required (Sleds, wall tents, toboggans to pull behind sleds, stove, chain saws, winter gear etc)
I would even consider trying the hunt by the park where no tag is required
You ever get drawn, let me know, I'll tag along for sure.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
This is what kinda ticks me off. I'm sorry but before you put in a draw, you should look at all the variables. Otherwise this could have been a wasted tag that I or someone else on here, could have been drawn for.

Exactly!

I bet if entering that draw cost $40 or more people would think a hell of a lot harder before entering. As it is right now, why not enter, it costs nothing.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:57 PM

Last edited by Tfng; 07-25-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

First of all congrats to the OP on drawing this hard to get tag. Hope you get your Bison.
Secondly, a few members have shown interest in hunting the herd in 534/535. As I understand it, you can hunt those Bison all year long, so you don't have to go for them in minus 30 in six feet of snow. A nice summer or early fall hunt would be much easier to plan for to my way of thinking.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Yep. Lots of guys, that are totally prepared for this hunt (gear, $$$, mentally) that are dying to get one of these tags. OP, I really hope you do your best to utilize this tag ie. buy it and go make an honest effort up there.
X2 on whoever said upping the application cost on these coveted draws...bison, sheep etc. Too many tire kickers that have no idea what they may be signing up for if they happen to get drawn.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Yep. Lots of guys, that are totally prepared for this hunt (gear, $$$, mentally) that are dying to get one of these tags. OP, I really hope you do your best to utilize this tag ie. buy it and go make an honest effort up there.
X2 on whoever said upping the application cost on these coveted draws...bison, sheep etc. Too many tire kickers that have no idea what they may be signing up for if they happen to get drawn.
-30 and two feet of snow, possibility of a huge animal down a distance off the road, not one of a group, better think carefully. Then there's that 700 mile drive on winter roads, both ways.

Grizz
Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Secondly, a few members have shown interest in hunting the herd in 534/535. As I understand it, you can hunt those Bison all year long, so you don't have to go for them in minus 30 in six feet of snow. A nice summer or early fall hunt would be much easier to plan for to my way of thinking.
I would think travel would be easier once the muskeg is frozen. I don't think I would want to have that much meat on the ground in warm weather when the flies are out myself.

Do you know where I could find more info on this opportunity? Is this feasible to do if you're willing to work for it?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 AM

Wow, sure would be nice if people would not jump all over someone when they ask a question. It does not say he is not going to hunt bison this year. He just wants some insight on what to expect. Keep asking there are a bunch a great people who will help.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 AM

I worked up in Zama. I know the area and there are a lot of Bison. Stop in at any of the rig camps up there. Cheaper than hotel and the meals are great. Also save you some fuel from driving back and forth each day to High Level. That will take care of your lodging and food. You can even pack a lunch from the camp (foods a plenty). The snow is a factor for sure, but some years don't get as much as others. There is an old Norwegian saying. " There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. "
You will find many Bison along the roads just off in the bush. I guess it depends on how big of animal you want. I found they seem to like hanging around pipelines as well, so check the cuts. If you have a powerful sled and skid you can usually pull it to the road. Block and tackle or winch is a good thing to have or quarter him and your on your way. Its work as is every big animal, but don't let that scare you. Will be tough for one person but it can be done. Just takes more time. They are huge animals for sure and mean if you get to close. Had one charge a truck one time and put a hell of a dent in the fender. I have found most of the herds if you want to call them that (about 5 - 10 in a group) hang around south and east of Zama. There are a few welding shop in Zama. Stop in and ask if they have seen them. They are out to the rigs pretty much every day and may be able to help. Also, stop in to Penestar Trucking and talk to the boys there, same thing applies. Most locals love to help. There is also a few hoohoos in the bars to keep you warm at night, but that may add to your financial bill and you may come back with more than a Bison.
This leads to this which leads to this which leads to this. As the locals say, Keep a cool tool.
Good luck, have fun and bring back a big one. Shoot a few wolves while at it. Post pics.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Welcome to the forum Syndre

I don't think it's really as complicated as some of you guys are making it out.

High Level is 8 hours from Edmonton at 10k over the speed limit. You leave Calgary at 7:00am and you're there for supper. Grab a hotel for the first night.

Lots of information on where to find critters on here and through the Fish Cops.

2 snowmobiles (quad if there is no snow) and 2 sleighs (quad trailer) and 2 buddies or ideally you could hook up with another tag holder and each bring one friend. You could probably find that person on here.

Take a wall tent, stove and good sleeping bags.

Kill the thing, bust it up and throw it in your truck......drive home the next day. You'll get home late that night after taking down camp in the morning.

Take one week off work (if you're a 5 day a week guy) and that gives you nine days. 1 day to set up camp, 2 days of travel and 6 hunting. Nothing wrong with taking more time.

Butcher it yourself at home.

Please post a bunch of pics of your trip here when you get back
You forgot what they say about the best laid plans of mice and Men.

Grizz
Old 07-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
First of all congrats to the OP on drawing this hard to get tag. Hope you get your Bison.
I don't know where you work or how much you know about muskeg country, but i have spent a bit of time in it. just got helicoptered in to a machine that is stranded in the bush due to an unexpected early spring break up and there is no way you would be hunting in that kind of country if its not frozen.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Exactly!

I bet if entering that draw cost $40 or more people would think a hell of a lot harder before entering. As it is right now, why not enter, it costs nothing.
I agree.

I'd support $25-30 for an application.

$4? It's a joke.

But they better tell us exactly where the extra $ goes. And it better be for conservation, not some junkets for ***** government d bags
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I agree.

$4? It's a joke.

But they better tell us exactly where the extra $ goes. And it better be for conservation, not some junkets for ***** government d bags
Yep, would cut down a lot of 999's. I would pay more.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I agree.

$4? It's a joke.

You want to do that with all of the rest as well ? Hunting in Alberta will become become an Elitist sport for some of us. Gonna Be a 500. touch before you know it.

Grizz
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Well I also got draws for bison and am super pumped.. I'm guessing it wont be a cheap hunt, but to do it right I'm guessing close to $5000.. I want to do it right because there is no chance I will get a tag again. We should try and stay in touch on when we go incase we need to be rescued or something. not sure were we are staying or when we are going but it will be a blast.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Our draw application system is a joke. Huntinstuff is on the right track with how to improve it. A government source up there told me the turnout for hunters drawn for bison hovers around 50 percent on average since its inception. Dave Moore was the biologist from Vermilion and he told me a few years ago that even the Camp Wainwright draws only average 65 percent turnout. At under 4 bucks there is no reason to put any thought at all into the application.

Even the op of this thread has come right out and openly admitted it was a last minute what the heck deal, and has gone on to admit to thinking it isn't even possible to go. Want a simple fix? The premier species should be 40 bucks per app and tags at 200 billable up front. Look at the numbers tossed around in this thread. Don't whine even a little about it because if you can't afford to apply you sure as fork can't afford the hunt. Goes for sheep, mountain goat, and antelope as well as they are quickly becoming less likely to win than the LottoMax. All other draw apps set at 20 bucks. That oughta stop nieces, gramma and the dog getting their name in there too. No more than 5 bucks to the company running the computers and the rest to the ACA for direct conservation initiatives.

Get rid of 999 too. It alone does not hurt draw stats, but in combination with 3.50 draw apps and everyone who wants it being allowed to claim residency, it adds up. Don't give me any schist about a P9 drawing 3 times where a P3 is required. If you wanted to hunt 3 times you would have. Think of it this way...you go stand in line at a movie and some dillhole butts in front because he has a friend there. You cool with that? You aren't at the front letting people pass by...you are at home on the couch not in the lineup. When it's convenient you butt in front of those who are standing there. If you don't wish to draw it that year you wouldn't apply. When you want to hunt then you apply and hope you have enough to win the tag. Again, it's not the prominent problem but it sure as hell does factor in wait times.

Anyhow, I feel dirty hanging out here as I see the stupid level of the majority has not improved. Hell there are even dipper thumpers outspoken here these days. Don't bother arguing my points, I'm leaving. Just needed to contact a couple guys here. Maybe I'll try again in another year and a half.

Dale
Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Our draw application system is a joke. Huntinstuff is on the right track with how to improve it. A government source up there told me the turnout for hunters drawn for bison hovers around 50 percent on average since its inception. Dave Moore was the biologist from Vermilion and he told me a few years ago that even the Camp Wainwright draws only average 65 percent turnout. At under 4 bucks there is no reason to put any thought at all into the application.

Even the op of this thread has come right out and openly admitted it was a last minute what the heck deal, and has gone on to admit to thinking it isn't even possible to go. Want a simple fix? The premier species should be 40 bucks per app and tags at 200 billable up front. Look at the numbers tossed around in this thread. Don't whine even a little about it because if you can't afford to apply you sure as fork can't afford the hunt. Goes for sheep, mountain goat, and antelope as well as they are quickly becoming less likely to win than the LottoMax. All other draw apps set at 20 bucks. That oughta stop nieces, gramma and the dog getting their name in there too. No more than 5 bucks to the company running the computers and the rest to the ACA for direct conservation initiatives.

Get rid of 999 too. It alone does not hurt draw stats, but in combination with 3.50 draw apps and everyone who wants it being allowed to claim residency, it adds up. Don't give me any schist about a P9 drawing 3 times where a P3 is required. If you wanted to hunt 3 times you would have. Think of it this way...you go stand in line at a movie and some dillhole butts in front because he has a friend there. You cool with that? You aren't at the front letting people pass by...you are at home on the couch not in the lineup. When it's convenient you butt in front of those who are standing there. If you don't wish to draw it that year you wouldn't apply. When you want to hunt then you apply and hope you have enough to win the tag. Again, it's not the prominent problem but it sure as hell does factor in wait times.

Anyhow, I feel dirty hanging out here as I see the stupid level of the majority has not improved. Hell there are even dipper thumpers outspoken here these days. Don't bother arguing my points, I'm leaving. Just needed to contact a couple guys here. Maybe I'll try again in another year and a half.

Dale
Valid points all around. Sorry to see Dale go. (again)