Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocked View Post
Not sure if I am doing this right. First post here ever. This discussion fascinates me. I have a question for anyone or everyone for that matter. Does anyone here know a hunter that has a crossbow licence? Not the friend of a friend or a cousin of a friends sister's mother in law, but actually know someone personally? What did they have to go through to get it and why? and I guess while we are at it what would your reaction be to meeting up with someone in the woods with crossbow in hand?
I have 4 friends that use them. One also has a permit to shoot from a vehicle ( yes they exist) he's missing an arm an his legs. The other is missing a arm, both are friends and clients.

The other 2 are my father in laws buddies, they have absolutely nothing wrong with themselves, healthy as a guy could be.They have a doctor friend, that wrote the note they needed,and a F&W acquaintance , that granted them the permit, 6 years ago. When it was way tougher to obtain a permit.

My reaction if I met someone in the woods with one... In the general zone, I would stop say hi, ask how his day was, wish him luck and carry on.

In the archery season or bowzone....Ask if he has a permit, and if not, call F&W .
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose smasher View Post
Crossbows will give new hunters another option on which weapons to choose to hunt with. Many will give them up in favour of a compound due to the compounds many advantages over a crossbow.By your numbers less then 15% of Alberta's hunters are archery hunters. I think allowing crossbows in all seasons would raise that number even if it meant a lottery tag draw system. If more then 85% don't archery hunt maybe they should close the early archery season and open the firearms seasons then? I hope that never happens but if you want to keep the majority happy this would do it. I have no agenda as far as crossbows go Potty but you are the one constantly putting them down and insulting their users. Including crossbow in the archery seasons would increase the percentage of archery hunters in Alberta and it would have no effect on game populations.

Goose smasher
So you believe people who never hunted, would get their hunters course done, and start hunting with a xgun, before a bow or even more a rifle or shotgun?

Even though, xguns ARE permitted to be used during the general season already, without a permit or handicap.

Again, I don't know why it bothers all you guys that I / MY opinion is that they don't belong in the archery season.....

As far as no effect on the populations, there's no evidence of that, and no other jurisdiction in North America makes a good case study. Because nowhere in N.A is the diversity in game, seasons, terrain and draws like Alberta.

Recruitment levels of archery hunters isn't a problem in alberta, we don't need to increase them . They are already increasing to levels, that Esrd has deemed essential to put on draw for certain species...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
My close friend is fresh to alberta from PEI. there is big game hunting in PEI. what a dumb post. Not yours dave, EHNTR's
Nice response. Feeling humble now? Obviously not humble enough to take back your insult.

In case anyone else is misguided by your comment......there is no big game in PEI .
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I have 4 friends that use them. One also has a permit to shoot from a vehicle ( yes they exist) he's missing an arm an his legs. The other is missing a arm, both are friends and clients.

The other 2 are my father in laws buddies, they have absolutely nothing wrong with themselves, healthy as a guy could be.They have a doctor friend, that wrote the note they needed,and a F&W acquaintance , that granted them the permit, 6 years ago. When it was way tougher to obtain a permit.

My reaction if I met someone in the woods with one... In the general zone, I would stop say hi, ask how his day was, wish him luck and carry on.

In the archery season or bowzone....Ask if he has a permit, and if not, call F&W .
potty that's good to hear. I am always afraid reading these things that sometimes people are speaking out of turn without really knowing all the facts. I am glad you have friends and clients that must use them to hunt. You know another one know. My story is a little different than the people you know but worth telling here I think. First of all let me say my compound has a place of honour in my home office, and always will. My disability is on the inside. You can't see it. Last fall I was split from neck to crotch to remove something terrible growing off of one of my internal organs. I lost a couple of non essential internal parts, a good portion of some others and unfortunately had a lot of muscle removed from my chest, shoulder, and back. Took more than a few boxes of staples to put me back together again. That being said, I was lucky, I'm still here. I have heard lots of stories on here about lazy hunters, and doctors giving notes to friends, and not so great F&W officers. I just wanted to say it's not always the case. My form was filled out by a world class surgeon, submitted, and I waited. I phoned a couple of times to check on the progress but was told to wait and they would call. After a month and a bit I called again and was told that I had been approved but had to wait for more paperwork to be complete before I could pick it up. When that call finally came I attended my local office and as it was retrieved from the file I noticed a lot of paperwork had been involved to investigate my claim. Anyway, there is a question on the form that asked the doctor if there was any chance my condition would improve in the next three years. He said no. He also stated in the written portion that I would never have the strength to pull and maintain a draw on my bow again. My approval is for what I was told was the maximum. One year. With a three year total pre approval if my condition does not improve. I have to go back each time for the next two years and present myself to get the new one. After that its back to the surgeons if I want to continue. Fair? I think so. Do I love the fact that it might be easier for me? No. Not really on topic but I thought I would share. I guess I will see how I get treated. I hope it is with the respect that any bow hunter that earns it deserves. I will let you know in the fall.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 PM

I believe that there are only two provinces in Canada (ON and BC) where there are no restrictions on crossbows in a dedicated archery season for big game. Although Nunavut and NWT allow hunting with crossbows, I could find no reference to an archery season. Correct this if I am wrong.

The USA pretty much follows suit with that too. The majority of states do not allow unrestricted use of a crossbow.

I find myself on the side of the majority. Align yourself with whatever side of the debate you want, that is how the world works. Just stop with the lies and insults.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes....a friend of mine is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his hands, he has a permit to use a x-bow during archery season.

His brother takes him and gets him all set up in a ground blind.

LC
Nice lefty. Now that's a good story.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure if I am doing this right. First post here ever. This discussion fascinates me. I have a question for anyone or everyone for that matter. Does anyone here know a hunter that has a crossbow licence? Not the friend of a friend or a cousin of a friends sister's mother in law, but actually know someone personally? What did they have to go through to get it and why? and I guess while we are at it what would your reaction be to meeting up with someone in the woods with crossbow in hand?
Welcome to the forum. I have a non-corrective shoulder injury that I was approved for a crossbow permit about 15 years ago. I had to go through pretty much the same loops as you did and under the new system I have to get a note from the Doctor every 3 years to take to SRD (they can make you do it every year if they want to). I don't worry about what anyone thinks about me using it and they are welcomed to phone RAP on me if they wish. I've never had a problem with anyone but I've only ever seen one fella while I've been hunting with it. Stay calm and hunt on!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Nocked explained the process perfectly .... Thanks for that!!... For all of those who are making it out to be a simple lie from a friend doctor.... Not the case!...

Potty.... Unless u are F&W .... Why on earth would anyone have to justify their legitamicy in the field to u? Not to be rude but are you a self appointed officer?
Well 1 thing is for sure you guys are succeeding in scaring newbies away from crossbows... If you were half as passionate about actually doing some good and stopping the law breakers u know of rather than spreading your negative philosophy maybe u actually would achieve something...?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
... For all of those who are making it out to be a simple lie from a friend doctor.... Not the case!...
Stick around and you'll hear lots of other myths.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Nocked explained the process perfectly .... Thanks for that!!... For all of those who are making it out to be a simple lie from a friend doctor.... Not the case!...

Potty.... Unless u are F&W .... Why on earth would anyone have to justify their legitamicy in the field to u? Not to be rude but are you a self appointed officer?
Well 1 thing is for sure you guys are succeeding in scaring newbies away from crossbows... If you were half as passionate about actually doing some good and stopping the law breakers u know of rather than spreading your negative philosophy maybe u actually would achieve something...?
No but where I hunt permit is required. I also have a thing about turning rule breakers and poachers... I rather enjoy it. Pays well....
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
No but where I hunt permit is required. I also have a thing about turning rule breakers and poachers... I rather enjoy it. Pays well....
How much did you get for those two fellas?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How much did you get for those two fellas?
Nothing.... they have legal paper work!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nothing.... they have legal paper work!
Paperwork obtained fraudulently......lol!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Agreed!

And we will see
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I think u need a hobby .... Or a girl.... Or both.... Self appointed officers will get the respect they deserve from me in the field...

Excuse me for pointing this out but you are more concerned about upholding your personal agenda than the law itself
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I think u need a hobby .... Or a girl.... Or both.... Self appointed officers will get the respect they deserve from me in the field...

Excuse me for pointing this out but you are more concerned about upholding your personal agenda than the law itself
Lmao

This should be good! What's my personal agenda?

Why so touchy?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Just a side note guys. I would have no problem with someone asking me to see a permit, just as I would have no problem with someone asking me what the %$# I was doing if I was on the side of the road shooting off the hood of my truck with a rifle. Don't know how many times I've seen that. Also it is just a very plain looking piece of paper. A little bit of info typed on a regular letter sized sheet of colored paper. Nothing special. I thought for a moment about posting a pic of mine here. Then I smartened up and thought again. Some things are best left a mystery I think.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Just a side note guys. I would have no problem with someone asking me to see a permit, just as I would have no problem with someone asking me what the %$# I was doing if I was on the side of the road shooting off the hood of my truck with a rifle. Don't know how many times I've seen that. Also it is just a very plain looking piece of paper. A little bit of info typed on a regular letter sized sheet of colored paper. Nothing special. I thought for a moment about posting a pic of mine here. Then I smartened up and thought again. Some things are best left a mystery I think.
If you have nothing to hide why would it be a problem. It's no different than running into another hunter on private land and asking or being asked if you have permission.

I believe helping landowners and F&W is part of our responsibility as outdoorsmen.... But I guess thats my personal agenda ! (Maybe that's why I have the access I do!)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM

....WAIT...Im confused ...who won???

I know who should have won ..no contest...

But then again that would be just another opinion right?...lol

Neil
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
If you have nothing to hide why would it be a problem. It's no different than running into another hunter on private land and asking or being asked if you have permission.

I believe helping landowners and F&W is part of our responsibility as outdoorsmen.... But I guess thats my personal agenda ! (Maybe that's why I have the access I do!)
Potty. Again I agree. No problem with asking at all. I also agree that it is every hunter's responsibility to use the land they hunt with respect and do your best to ensure others do the same. Nothing wrong with that. Neil? Win? Now I am confused. I thought this was a conversation not a contest. Every day I learn something! lol