Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Exclamation 2011/2012 AO Predator Hunt

Posting on behalf of Redfrog.

2011/2012 AO Predator Hunt
The AO Annual Predator hunt will run from October 5, 2011 till March 31, 2012.
Anyone can enter. Simply post a pic of a presto that you’ve shot. Let us know a few details. Did you call it, bait, or target of opportunity? Rifle? Ammo? In other words share the experience with those not so skilled. Must be taken legally.
Two divisions. One for 16 years and younger and the other for over 16 years. Let us know if you are a youth.
Prizes will be awarded on a random basis to encourage everyone to enter. So anyone can win , not the most or biggest or baddest.
All predators are eligible and I’d like to see lots of raccoons and foxes to help out the bird population.
We’ve already had some members step up with prize donations. Thank you for the support guys.
I’ll get a prize list up in the next few weeks. We are still sourcing donations.
We have a few entries already.
For those who have skinned, how’s the fur?
Good luck and let’s try to have some fun. It’s not a competition but you can certainly take advantage of bragging rights."

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Default Coyotes - Oct 7-8

Awesome weekend of Coyote hunting in Lloyd. Got 2 & Missed 2. Tikka T3 Lite 22-250

500 Yd Stalk over 3 fences & a small swamp. 360 yd head shot.
Attachment 40822

Called in a double to 250 yds & 20 mins later this one came into 80 yds.
Attachment 40823

Fantastic Weekend Fellas. Looking forward to seeing all the pics.

Cheers

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM

Nice work! I like the idea of posting the Hat in your pics!

LC
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM

#2 of the year, but no pic of the first one, so this is #1 of the contest.

just found him while i was driving a feild and happen to have the gun with me. He looked to be in really good health. rough guess was approx 400 yards with a 270.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Well poop, was going to cut and paste my two from the other thread over to here but see my post there has been removed.

Went out Saturday to scout some and reaquaint myself with some landowners. As I was checking out one pasture I noticed 2 coyotes across the field in a farmers field I knew so I went to his house and asked for permission. Went back to the spot I saw the yotes at and set up with my FoxPro Fury. About 5 minutes of Lightning Jack and 2 come in from the upwind side surprisingly enough. At 35 yards they seen me and turned running straight away from me in single file. Aimed for the front one and dropped the back one. Upon inspection seems I did this male a favour as he has the beginnings of mange. Hair on shoulders going fast and the good ole red crotch.

Next headed over to one of my favorite calling spots. Parked my truck and was walking in behind the row of trees along the edge of the field. As I turned to go in on the trail, I notice out in the canola swaths there are 4 coyotes out there already. Did my best to sneak in but got busted so shooting from the most awkward of positions I missed the first one but downed this little male with my second shot. Never got another shot off.

Fur quality is still not great.

Using my Savage FCSS in 204 Ruger topped of with a 6 - 20 x44 Vortex Viper scope. Shoot factory Hornady 40 grain Vmax's.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Gone Hunting

John there was a technical misfire in transferring information from the other thread. Due to circumstances way beyond my control some pics were misplaced. If those posters could repost in this thread it would be appreciated.

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Default First yote

This is my first coyote, My wife saw two of them about 100 yards from our house pretty close to our horses who were standing together staring at the trees. I ran out with the gun but they went into thistles and i lost sight of them, the horses were still fixed on the trees so i knew there were still close. I ran back to the house and got my Foxpro went up to the far east of our fields and started calling, almost instantly she came out about 230 yards from behind a round bale, I smoked her and she dropped like a sack of potatos. Remmington 700 .223 with Hawke Panorama 3x9. Fur was good so i skined it and the wifes getting some gloves made.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Here is my first moved over from the last thread....

Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM

And from today.....work got shut down today due to some technology issues, so I figured I would go make a stand or 2. First stand, I started calling and out came the first one at about 60 yds, I shot that one (female), kept calling and about a minute later a second one (male) came out of the same spot. I shot that one and kept calling and about 3 minutes later a big male came running from my right toward the call (to my left), I shot him on the run at about 50 yds. The first 2 were about 4 ft apart on the ground when i got to them.

Damn good way to kill an afternoon with a triple (those are rare for me at the best of times)! I was using a Foxpro FX3, Bog Pod shooting sticks and a ruger .300 mag.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Nice pics boyz...
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

A couple from the weekend....my buddy finally sent me the pics.

This one was taken when we were checking a field out, there were 4 in a group. I barked at them and this one made the mistake of stopping ~250 yrd shot. Taken with my Tikka T3 Lite, .22-250, 4X12X40 Elite 3200. 45gr JHP Remington\UMC ammo.

Funny I had my archery release on because that spot is known for decent mulies....we were just going to go for a stroll and get suited up when we spotted the coyotes....needless to say we didn't bow hunt that field!

This one was taken in some rolling hills on a trail.....he just didn't want to step off the trail.....was about 300yrds, again stopped with a bark as he was running straight away.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Default #2 on the season for me

Calling with the foxpro spitfire and about the 10 min mark this guy appears from behind a small hill off to my right. 165 yard shot with the .204 and the 35gr berger put him down!

This was the first of the year. 75 yard shot at abour the 5 min mark of calling.

Called in another one today but I didnt see him about 50 yards to my left. I stood up to stretch and turned to look behind me. I can hear something behind my making a noise turn back around to see a yote scrambling to get traction to get the hell outta there!! Took 3 shots and missed, should have been a gimme....
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

[IMG]IMAG0051[/IMG]Trying to post pic off my HTC wildfire s smartphone, don't know how it works. Shot this one with savage .22wmr earlier this week, with hornady vmax rounds. She snuck up behind me and just watched till I shot her.

Last edited by YoteStopper; 10-12-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: pic didnt work......anybody know how to do it off smartphone?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
Calling with the foxpro spitfire and about the 10 min mark this guy appears from behind a small hill off to my right. 165 yard shot with the .204 and the 35gr berger put him down!

Called in another one today but I didnt see him about 50 yards to my left. I stood up to stretch and turned to look behind me. I can hear something behind my making a noise turn back around to see a yote scrambling to get traction to get the hell outta there!! Took 3 shots and missed, should have been a gimme....
Hey Kale, no offence, but if you shot that coyote on Oct 5th or later, how come the tree leaves are still all green? Nice kill though for sure!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM

it was around the 1st of oct. Just posting it up, didnt think this was a "the most wins" contest anyway?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
it was around the 1st of oct. Just posting it up, didnt think this was a "the most wins" contest anyway?
ok, cool. No offence meant sir.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Default First for contest

This is my first for the contest, second of the season. Moved from other thread.
Came wandering down the cutline while I was in tree stand, had him in the scope for a while just waiting for him to stop.
Savage .270wsm made a little hole in, and a rain wreck on the out, will spare the graphics.

Tullfan

Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Got two coyotes today. One called in the other in the friends alphalfa field were he shouldn't have been. Got to love using the 7mm Rem Mag on these guys. Handloaded 162gr. Hornady bullets. Call used was the lil' dog. Lots of pups out and about. Calving is in a couple month got to get numbers down.Attachment 40904

Attachment 40905

Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Well this past weekend I got my new scope (6500 4.5-30X50mm) on the 22-250 sighted in and ready to go for the season.
This morning I was out with it for the first time and seen a fox and a coyote. One shot fired this and here is what I ended up with.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Well I snuck out this afternoon to try and get something with my new .240WBY. Called one spot for 30 minutes and no luck, was walking over to another spot and this guy was out in the field. Flipped out the shooting sticks and barked at him to stop.....about 30 yrds shy of the bush line he stopped and looked......the shot from 180yrds hit the mark. This is coyote #3.

Looks like he tangled with the wrong porcupine....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Nice one LC!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Yotes

Here are my first entries. Just put a new house on my 1/4 and the coyotes have been very interested incoming to check it out at night ( moved in a week ago ). They come right up to the house at night and keep every one up. Went out this morning and set up to see if i could thin them out a little. Called this male into 120 yrds.

Went back to the house had a coffee, And then headed back out to sight in a few other guns. Driving through the field on my quad and seen this young pup walking along not very far from where i killed the first one earlier. Jumped off and let the air outta him from 350 yrds!

Rem VSSF 22-250.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 PM

So went out today, Great day for calling!!

First stand in spooked a pack of 6 in with some cows. Set up to call but had one only sit somewhere out of sight and bark at me.

Second stand I called up a double. They came up this small ditch I didnt know was in front of me. First one got past me, second one, the big male, stopped at 60 yards. 35gr berger right behind the shoulder DRT.

Went across the road to the other quarter. Sat on the fence line. Turned on the foxpro. At about the 10 minute mark I have a coyote hauling over the hill moving to my left. I was barkng at him to stop but I couldnt get him to stp and I could not find him in the scope. Stops on my downwind side. Start squeezing the trigger and then he bolts! Got my wind. He was outta there!!

Next stand I set up on a another fenceline. Foxpro out in front of me. Called for a bit, was about to leave when I spot a nice pale coyote come over the far hill on the run. Gets over to my right side. Still dosent have my wind but he is skitish. I think he saw me as i was alittle bit skylined. Was hung up at about 280. Took the shot as I thought he was going to take off. Missed! Damn I was mad, 2 stands in a row I blew!!

Have some lunch to collect myself a bit and come up with a game plan. Next Stanfd i set up with my back against a fence post. Call for about 10 mins or so. Look up to see one come over the far hill at about 800 yards. I had the call muted at this time. Turn it back on and here he comes!! He closed that distance so fast that I only had enough time to lower the volume on the call and get my gun up. The hard charging yote came up the rise in front of me and he is only about 50 yards away!! stupid me still has the scope on 16x and trying to follow this yote who is movign fast to my left! I am barking aand barking to try and get him to stop but he is staring at the call still and how he is directly to my left about a yard away from the fence line I am sitting on and he is only 20 yards away!! The coyote then pulled a a 180 and started to run back the way he just came. I finally got the scope turned down and the dog stopped about 50 yards out straight in front of me. Berger to the shoulder and he is DRT! One of the most exciting stands ever!! Big male again!

Next stand I et up in what I think is a wicked looking spot! Set the call up at a corner post. I am set up in an old corral so I just stand and have my gun resting on the fence. Play the call and I can hear a dog off to my left barking at me. Try and coax him in but no luck. Getting ready to leave and call it a day when I hear another not to far to my left barking at me in the long grass! I crawl over to the fence and peak over the fence and long grass to see him standing on a pile of dirt about 400 yards away. I crawl back down the fence a bit to get a better vantage point. He is not responding to any more distress sounds. So I flip on the pup screams and he perks right up then is on the dead run straight at the call. I only have enough time to mute the call, turn down the scope and get my sticks turned to shoot. He goes under the fence and stops about 30 yards from the call facing me. 60 yard frontal shot and his is DRT. Small exit in the back of the neck on this one. Another male down!

3 down for the Day, my best solo day yet! Should have had 5 though!

Off to my cousins place for a week starting monday. His place is infested he says and the neighbours have my already booked in to thin the buggers out!! should be fun as no one calls them around there so I am hoping to put up some big numbers this week!!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Jealous!

Nice job guys.
My wife had surgery this past Monday and have been nursmaiding, and being the sympathetic husband. Secretly I'm dying to get out cause your pictures are making me mental.
Great pictures though.

Tullfan
Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Well, we went out to kill some mid-day time between bowhunting. Went into the first spot, and as we were getting close, we spotted this one right where we figured they would be, stalked into about 100yds or so...I had my .300WSM out just cause I haven't shot it in a while and it still does the trick. Nothing else when we called that spot. We did 2 other stands, called out 1 more and my friend missed him.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 AM

Default Awesome play by play Kale

Really enjoyed pics & the play by play on your post Kale. Literally had me sitting on the edge of my seat about half way through it. Coyote lingo at its best right there. Keep em coming.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 AM

I'm thinking we should keep our comments to our selves or put them in another thread or this one will have a lot of pages for Redfrog to sift threw come spring.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Not much to discuss about this one. Out hunting deer today in 339. Seen tons of coyote droppings everywhere and some serious sized wolf tracks. Stopped on a gas site my hunting partner works at to check it out. As we were leaving I notice a coyote sneaking along the far side of the site. Stop the truck and jump out and laod my gun. Coyote is oblivious to our presence. Find her in the scope and all I can see is her ears and top 2 inches of her skull at abround 100 yards. She is looking away from us on the otherside of a small gravel berm. I line up the cross hairs and launch a 130 grain soft point from my 270 WSM. See fur flying in the wind. Walk over to where she was and she is DRT missing the top of her skull on the left side of her head.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Good job guys!! I'm getting a rash waiting for the fur to get better.

There's lots of coyotes around but it takes as much effort to skin a poor one as a prime one.

Whether you skin or not it sure helps the fawns in the spring and the deer/antelope at the end of a hard winter, not to mention all the game birds.

Keep stacking them up.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM

One from this evening just before the sun set.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: