Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Complete Greenhorn. Lives in Edmonton. How do I get started?

Hello everyone. I recently flew back into Canada after 2 years out, and I would like to get into fishing again. Last time I was here was in the summer, and was told that this was basically the worst time to go fishing.

I was handed some odds and ends from a friend, so I have that to start with.

Ill list them out here=

I have 15 and 10 pound mono-filament line,

A rapala HP 3500 HALO reel ( 5:2:1 ratio, max reel size 3500, Line cap(MM - M ) .31-170 , .33-150 . 037-115 )

, A value pack of 6 types of hooks 25 each,

and finally a handheld fishing box full of various sizes of bobbers ( only the spherical kind )

some lead shot/weights,

three small steel leaders ,

small snap swivels,

some 1.5 inch long plastic fake worms,

and finally a spinner bait with a hook on it.

Sorry for the long list.

So what I want to ask is

1.)what else do I need to get started ( I think all I need is bait + a rod )
( Suggestions on the bait/rod would be nice )

2.) Where are some nice close spots around Edmonton, And hopefully somewhere where I do not need a boat, at most in boots and waddling around in knee-deep water, or standing on a pair.

3.) Im hoping to catch a fish, any fish really :P I was told I need to setup my gear for a particular fish. What should I target?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 PM

I would advise you to check out the library for books , watch YouTube vids and go take your stuff and
chat to the guys down at the fishing hole .
I'm hooked on trout at the moment but everyone has their own favourite fish to go for .
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdep View Post
I would advise you to check out the library for books , watch YouTube vids and go take your stuff and
chat to the guys down at the fishing hole .
I'm hooked on trout at the moment but everyone has their own favourite fish to go for .
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. I looked into those sources, but its really confusing. Everyone seems to be telling me different information. The areas to fish are more or less constant, but with regards to what to fish for, and how , one source tells me to do A, and the next tells me to do B.

Id more like to know just what is a good, common breed of fish to go for that is not hard to catch and is easy to find near Edmonton, and what setup to use.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Ok , go for rainbow trout ( lots of stocked ponds around)
Buy some power bait and a few weights , and a six foot spinning rod , rod holder and a bell , throw it out and wait for the dinner bell . Strike and reel in your fish ....

Old 09-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Banned

Ok, since you weren't a complete jerk in yer first post, I'll bite and, welcome aboard! Three essential books for fishing Alberta
1.) The Alberta fishing regulations, read them know them understand them inside and out. Do not go fishing until you understand these rules and regulations.
2.) Central Alberta backroad map book
3.) Barry Mitchell's fishing guide
There is some good shore fishing right in Edmonton(North Saskatchewan River). Use pickerel rigs. Aint gonna bleed it, just youtube, and google how to set up a pickerel rig, read previous post on this forum, talk to the guys at the fishing stores ie. wholesale sports ect. and talk to the guys on the water, I always do regardless of their fishing method. All the answers are there. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdep View Post
Ok , go for rainbow trout ( lots of stocked ponds around)
Buy some power bait and a few weights , and a six foot spinning rod , rod holder and a bell , throw it out and wait for the dinner bell . Strike and reel in your fish ....

Finally! some meat in the burrito!

Okay. So ill grab some powerbait. Ill be using 10 lb test line, I have some weights, and bobbers.

Just a few more questions. What kind of rod should I buy? What action etc etc?

And is my reel too heavy or too light for rainbow trout?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:26 AM

For the stocked fish this year they probably be between 11/14" long , some fight some don't , you could go down to a 6 pound line , and really the choice of rod is up to how it feels for you .
Most are medium action, you could go light and fast action and get a little more " play" out of the fish but bare in mind these tend to be a little less robust . Like anything you get what you pay for , so is this rod the last rod your gonna buy - or just the beginning...?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 AM

Welcome to A/O. Two years out of Canada!... wow !
Where did you go ,was it for work?

If so I hopped you saved some money for what you really need ....a Boat !

Shore fishing is a real hit or miss..... Mostly miss.

But the good thing is Ice fishing is around the corner.

Ice auger ,tent ,chair and a heater .

I never learnt any thing from books.

Fishing is hands on training.

Just post on the top of the list , fishing partner wanted. He will show you the ropes

There are many of us that have boats that need a partner that will chip in for fuel. or better yet tell him you are willing to pay for all the fuel ,truck and boat for the first time out. Then you will be on your way.

PS . Thats a different user name.....can you enlighten us .
Old 09-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Take your gear, tie on a jig, head down to the area under the quesnell bridge and start catching goldeye. Tons of them in there amongst other things. I hooked into a big sturgeon 20 years ago in that area. Scared the hell out of me when I saw what it was. I used to use minnows and worms as bait and it generally worked without fail.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Default Nsr

I'd start with small spoons and spinners... Walleye, sauger, trout, pike, goldeye and occasionally whitefish will all go for spoons and spinners. Less likely to catch weeds than a pickerel rig. The Fishin Hole is a good place to go for advice on the NSR. Good luck
Old 09-12-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Welcome to A/O. Two years out of Canada!... wow !
Where did you go ,was it for work?

If so I hopped you saved some money for what you really need ....a Boat !

Shore fishing is a real hit or miss..... Mostly miss.

But the good thing is Ice fishing is around the corner.

Ice auger ,tent ,chair and a heater .

I never learnt any thing from books.

Fishing is hands on training.

Just post on the top of the list , fishing partner wanted. He will show you the ropes

There are many of us that have boats that need a partner that will chip in for fuel. or better yet tell him you are willing to pay for all the fuel ,truck and boat for the first time out. Then you will be on your way.

PS . Thats a different user name.....can you enlighten us .

Thanks for the reply. Im a university student currently...so..yeah. I Boat or truck is a no-no. I dont have the finances involved ( Unless I can fish from a kayak :P I already own a single person kayak, and it can be hauled around in my car. ) Ill see however, about the partner idea. That sounds great.

However, Ice fishing...any tips on that? I already have most of the cold weather gear ready, Ill pick up handheld auger/drill, but then again, which bait/technique do I use and what lake?

@Renegade J

Ill be sure to drop by the shop and ask around. That sounds like a swell idea!

Last edited by Matapatapa; 09-12-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 AM

A good cheap starter rod for a Uof A student would be just a medium Ugly Stik at 6 to 7 foot. It will probably last you a life time. Or at least till your done school and can afford something more expensive but not necessarily better later.

Your reel is a bit heavy but just fine for now. I use mostly 8 lb mono with curly tails for the river as i personally dont care for bait fishing and 1/4 to 3/8ths jigs with 3 to 4" curly tails are cheap to lose on those snags which you are going to get in the NSR. You can catch most species with jigs. Your choice, others have given you ideas for bait fishing so ill leave there.