Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Default Whitefish Season

I've been dreaming of catching these fish since June this year. Half-heartedly tried a couple times without luck.

I've heard the fall is good time to go after WF, but, weird question, what exactly do we mean by fall? It's unclear to me when we say "fall" whether we are referring to an average daytime temp, hours of daylight or a set period of time (e.g., 15 days before and after the equinox). Or maybe a combination of the three...

I've also read that WF tend towards inlets and rivers during the fall spawn period. But where do they go if these features don't exist? For example, in one of the southern reservoirs.

Lastly, can you troll for WF? I've read a few posts online of folks doing this but it seems to go counter to everything else I've researched saying use a bobber with wire worm/nymph/small hook & bait.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Southern res.is easy, whitefish spawn on rocky areas right before and a little after freeze up. That usally means dams, although other rocky areas work as well. I use Russian hooks or chironomids under a bobber fly fishing.

I don't have any experience in early fall as the pike are hot and then comes pheasant season.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 PM

yes you can catch the whitefish while trolling, we did that but the whitefish was a by catch at the time cause were were actually trolling for some other species and hooked into a few small whitefish.