Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Agreed. However what determines if a dog is assisting in a hunt, harassing wildlife or running at large? I don't know if there is a clear definition of that but for a regulation change to allow a dog to accompany you on a big game hunt I think that there should be. It'd be nice to remove all grey areas so everyone would be clear as to what is expected of them.

I don't have time to look it up right now but maybe later.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/w10.pdf
Yes, the definitions of hunting with a dog, "in control", "leashed", harassing wildlife, and running at large ARE already defined. ALL people with dogs already have to follow these laws.

As I posted earlier, the fines are Significant for breaking these laws. The dog can be killed, in the act, without a trial. The owner can be fined up to $50,000 and/or 1 year in jail. PLUS, hunters can lose their hunting priveledges for up to 5 years.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Are you serious? No nothing stops the dog from running 4 or 500 yrds from its handlers now. But with what we are stating you best have it trained well enough to stay at your side. You say you cant legislate smart? So because a few guys cant train their dog good enough to no run around then there should be no rules and such. Holy shake your head.
Again your talking about people that now have no rules about how where there dog can run. maybe if there were laws then they would put more effort into the training.

And we dont have any control over that guy just out walking his dog! Sure it cant harass wild life but how does that control them in any other way.
Again incase your narrow mind missed it this is a discussion about getting dog to be allowed while hunting not whether the local dog walker should be regulated. Start a new thread for that if you so wish.

What else do we need to protect other than wildlife from dogs running? How bout other hunters hunts? How bout from spooking riders horses? How bout spooking animals that it isnt harassing but still spooked? There are lots of reasons dogs should be controled.

What people think that? Again give your head a shake! Many people that are against dogs accompaning you while hunting arent on this site and most arent even hunters. These are the ones we need to convince. And without rules and guidelines this will never happen.

With rules in place with penalties then some unhonest guys that would illegally use the dog to actually hunt big game may be detererd and people that see rules in place will know that people are trying to get do there best in keeping wild life safe and people not just letting dogs be running around.

Again we arent talking about changing the rules for bird hunters, cat hunters or dog walkers. We as hunters are looking to hopefully get things so we can take our dogs into the bush as packers, protectors, and companions and I for one would gladly abide by some rules in order to get this to happen.
SG

Now I understand about arguing on the internet.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Now I understand about arguing on the internet.
Yup..... X2
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Its a ridicuolas law that has no business being in order, we can use the dogs for everything except hunting big game, and any of you guys that say it shouldnt be a law have never hunted with them PERIOD.
Once you have been on a hunt with a good pack dog you will know and respect it, your talking out your arses and dont know any difference , i aint even giving you the time of day cause you have no idea. This and That , That and This, Heck were the only sheep hunting province that it isnt allowed and its stupid.

I cant wait to get to the yukon this fall becasue i know there will be a mutt, or yuppy or whatever you couch hunters want to call em. Go try having one, hunting with one, then come back and yap off. Nait one picture of your pack dog please. Your yapping without even having a clue what its all about.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckshow View Post
Weird, my Britt acts the same way. If anything approaches, he comes back to me, if it stands still he points, and if it runs away, then I'm hitting the red button on the e-collar. I often come up a hill or around a bluff or something and find him in a thousand yard stare with a coyote about 30 yards ahead of him. The coyote sees me and books it, and off the dog goes chasing him like he wants to play. Friggin dog!

My GSP is the same , will point if he see's big game or a coyote at a distance. Then he will keep looking back at me for instructions, he actually does the same when someone is approaching us in a field with another dog also. He won't chase, just stares and then looks back at me for the 'NO' command.. ha-ha.. The e-collar really conditioned him not to chase, He turns 2 this month and I don't use the e-collar anymore.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? No nothing stops the dog from running 4 or 500 yrds from its handlers now. But with what we are stating you best have it trained well enough to stay at your side. You say you cant legislate smart? So because a few guys cant train their dog good enough to no run around then there should be no rules and such. Holy shake your head.
Again your talking about people that now have no rules about how where there dog can run. maybe if there were laws then they would put more effort into the training.

And we dont have any control over that guy just out walking his dog! Sure it cant harass wild life but how does that control them in any other way.
Again incase your narrow mind missed it this is a discussion about getting dog to be allowed while hunting not whether the local dog walker should be regulated. Start a new thread for that if you so wish.

What else do we need to protect other than wildlife from dogs running? How bout other hunters hunts? How bout from spooking riders horses? How bout spooking animals that it isnt harassing but still spooked? There are lots of reasons dogs should be controled.

What people think that? Again give your head a shake! Many people that are against dogs accompaning you while hunting arent on this site and most arent even hunters. These are the ones we need to convince. And without rules and guidelines this will never happen.

With rules in place with penalties then some unhonest guys that would illegally use the dog to actually hunt big game may be detererd and people that see rules in place will know that people are trying to get do there best in keeping wild life safe and people not just letting dogs be running around.

Again we arent talking about changing the rules for bird hunters, cat hunters or dog walkers. We as hunters are looking to hopefully get things so we can take our dogs into the bush as packers, protectors, and companions and I for one would gladly abide by some rules in order to get this to happen.
SG
no, a leashed or otherwise controlled K9 is still able to contribute to your hunting success,with big game. it can alert you to the presence of game that is out of sight. so, no matter how you sugar coat it, you would in effect be allowing the hunting of big game with canis domesticus(sp). making the arguement that your horse can do the same is a moot point. a K9 can be trained to walk quietly ahead of a hunter and stop when it locates game,that is hunting big game. a K9 can be trained to parrellel a hunter;hunter on the trail, k9 in the bush. still controlled,not harassing wildlife but rather pushing the bush for the hunter. that is hunting big game. if the companion dog is in sight of the sheep it is worrying the sheep and that is hunting big game...... perhaps we should review all of sheeps proposals or was this just tossed in there to give them something to easily deny with the hope of getting something else. of all the changes that need to be made,this one is,well.....
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Ok well since a bunch of you dont want to control your dogs, have any guidelines and think a dog a your side will make killing animals so easy then I guess this will never be passed and a dog will not have any chance of being part of our outdoor big game hunting experiences. Thanks for all your help. Guess I better try and get the rules for other dog hunters changed as some of you figure that you should be the only ones out there using them.

Again a bunch of guys that have no real clue about dogs hunting big game making comments.
Like I said without the rules the law wont change so if guys want dog with them while hunting big game whether it be for packing companionship or protection then you will have to agree that the rules need to be.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I took your advice, I'm still shaking my head.

Last edited by Redfrog; 01-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
no, a leashed or otherwise controlled K9 is still able to contribute to your hunting success,with big game. it can alert you to the presence of game that is out of sight. so, no matter how you sugar coat it, you would in effect be allowing the hunting of big game with canis domesticus(sp). making the arguement that your horse can do the same is a moot point. a K9 can be trained to walk quietly ahead of a hunter and stop when it locates game,that is hunting big game. a K9 can be trained to parrellel a hunter;hunter on the trail, k9 in the bush. still controlled,not harassing wildlife but rather pushing the bush for the hunter. that is hunting big game. if the companion dog is in sight of the sheep it is worrying the sheep and that is hunting big game...... perhaps we should review all of sheeps proposals or was this just tossed in there to give them something to easily deny with the hope of getting something else. of all the changes that need to be made,this one is,well.....
Yes they can be trained to do what you said but as I stated there needs to be a distance from the hunter that the dog can be. Tough for a dog to heard or push when in is next to you within a certain amount of feet. If guys can train the dog to do what you stated it should be very easily to train them to stick to the hunters side, out of sight of the sheep and not causing a concern to them. There for not being an issue in any of your sheep proposals.

Perhaps you should post all the sheep proposals you have in your posession for us to reveiw.

There is ways that it will work. But when guys can only find the negative and not look for solutions then nothing can be accomplished.

Looks like certain guys just dont want this to go through and will find any small excuse on why it cant be acomplished

SG
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
....Nait one picture of your pack dog please. Your yapping without even having a clue what its all about.
just because i post opposing views does not mean i'm against it.

saying there are already laws on the books to prevent hunters from abusing the priviledge is moot. there are laws on the books to prevent the harassment of hunters, that are not being enforced.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yes, the definitions of hunting with a dog, "in control", "leashed", harassing wildlife, and running at large ARE already defined. ALL people with dogs already have to follow these laws.
I suspect that they are but I can't find them in the Wildlife act. Where would you find them?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
saying there are already laws on the books to prevent hunters from abusing the priviledge is moot. there are laws on the books to prevent the harassment of hunters, that are not being enforced.
You sure throw a lot of things out as fact with no knowledge of whether they are true or not. Guess that's easier than offering up an informed opinion. Say something enough times and it doesn't become fact nait....even if it's you saying it.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You sure throw a lot of things out as fact with no knowledge of whether they are true or not. Guess that's easier than offering up an informed opinion. Say something enough times and it doesn't become fact nait....even if it's you saying it.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

As I posted earlier, the fines are Significant for breaking these laws. The dog can be killed, in the act, without a trial. The owner can be fined up to $50,000 and/or 1 year in jail. PLUS, hunters can lose their hunting priveledges for up to 5 years.
Where can I find the dog laws that cover our public foresty ? Not trying to be a ***** but when I look up dog laws I only seem to get town bylaws not public lands outside of these areas. Im sure im just looking wrong so some help would be great.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes they can be trained to do what you said but as I stated there needs to be a distance from the hunter that the dog can be. Tough for a dog to heard or push when in is next to you within a certain amount of feet. If guys can train the dog to do what you stated it should be very easily to train them to stick to the hunters side, out of sight of the sheep and not causing a concern to them. There for not being an issue in any of your sheep proposals.

Perhaps you should post all the sheep proposals you have in your posession for us to reveiw.

There is ways that it will work. But when guys can only find the negative and not look for solutions then nothing can be accomplished.

Looks like certain guys just dont want this to go through and will find any small excuse on why it cant be acomplished

SG
Yeah, that's pretty much been my position from the start. There has to be clearly defined guidelines in order for something like this to be considered.

Responsible dog owners on here have already stated that their dogs are well trained and heel, stay, etc on command and and will do it anyway. Their dogs will stay with them and not wander away so, I don't understand why the same people would be opposed to having clear regs demanding the same high standards for other dog owners.

It almost seems like there is something more sinister going on when people claim that something is going to be done a certain way but they are opposed to that way becoming the set standard in a regulation.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where can I find the dog laws that cover our public foresty ? Not trying to be a ***** but when I look up dog laws I only seem to get town bylaws not public lands outside of these areas. Im sure im just looking wrong so some help would be great.
SG
What specifically are you looking for? I've googled about 100 different combinations of words since last night. I think that dog laws are governed at the municipal and county levels of government so you won't find them listed as provincial law.

Try "Dog Bylaws" and the county that you are interested in.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
sheephunter

I do find it sad that some people are looking so desperately to the Nanny State to protect us from all things. At what point do we stop enacting more laws that are nothing more than new wording of existing laws. We already had laws to deal with distracted drivers but now we have more laws. Are there less distracted drivers? We already have laws to deal with dogs harassing wildlife....will more laws prevent irrespopnsible dog owners from allowing their dog to harrass wildlife. We can wrap this blanket of redundant laws around us and all feel warm and fuzzy if we like but at the end of the day, you have people that follow laws and you people that don't and more redundant laws won't change that.

There will always be grey areas in every law.....regardless of the wording. If some of you had your way, we wouldn't be permitted to do anything. Listening to some on this thread, you'd figure that hunters are the most nefarious of outdoor user groups that can't be trusted to roam the mountains without supervision. We have laws to deal with big game hunters being accompanied by doogs if it was permitted. Explain again why we need more. Is every hunter out there just one step away from being a poacher.....

Being opposed to more redundant laws doesn't mean you are opposed to the premise of the law, it just means you are opposed to more redundant, pointless laws. The more conditions you add to a law, the more difficult it becomes to enforce. We don't want pack dogs chasing, herding or molesting wildlife.....why do we need breed restrictions, weight restrictions and distance restrictions? KISS for both hunter and enforcement officer.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Being opposed to more redundant laws doesn't mean you are opposed to the premise of the law, it just means you are opposed to more redundant, pointless laws. The more conditions you add to a law, the more difficult it becomes to enforce. We don't want pack dogs chasing, herding or molesting wildlife.....why do we need breed restrictions, weight restrictions and distance restrictions? KISS for both hunter and enforcement officer.
I dont think we want more laws or need more laws. But I do know that without new laws being put forth to regulate the old law will not be removed and dogs will not be allowed with us. So me personaly will gladly deal with a couple redundant rules or laws to acheive the ability to have my dog out there.
And the only reason I suggest the distance regulation is because so many people have and are(even AO members) stating that the dogs can be used in other ways and purposes and have used reasons on why that dogs shouldnt be allowed out there. The distance away can regulate what said dog can be used for.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Your right Nait, using dogs for hunting of any game other than birds is completely unethical and an unfair advantage. I am seriously considering proposing the following resolution for the 2012 AFGA meeting:

"That the use of dogs for the hunting of cougars be immediately stopped due to the advantage of using a dog, the unnecessary stress caused to the pursued animal, and the high potential for non-target animals to be disturbed by the dog's presence."

But I guess all you will see is "blah, blah, blah", right?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately Sheepguide, we can't even get a guy who hunts with hound to support the idea! Makes on feel like they are banging their head on a wall.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Unfortunately Sheepguide, we can't even get a guy who hunts with hound to support the idea! Makes on feel like they are banging their head on a wall.
I hear ya!
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM

well,well,well, let's let the big boys wade in here and cut to the chase. what is the difference between your well trained pack companion alerting you to a bear(black) in the area of your camp and hunting bears(black) with dogs? in both cases the hunters are licensed for bear. bears are in season. it is during hunting hours.

how lol much lead time will you give the bear after your companion alerted you to it's presence before you pursue it..... one onethousand two onethousand hereee i come.....
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
well,well,well, let's let the big boys wade in here and cut to the chase. what is the difference between your well trained pack companion alerting you to a bear(black) in the area of you camp and hunting bears(black) with dogs? in both cases the hunters are licensed for bear. bears are in season. it is during hunting hours.

how lol much lead time will you give the bear after your companion alerted you to it's presence before you pursue it..... one onethousand two onethousand hereee i come.....
Welcome to the 20th century Nait, we can't hunt ALL bears in Alberta and the ones that we can't hunt ARE of the biggest concern for most!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
well,well,well, let's let the big boys wade in here and cut to the chase. what is the difference between your well trained pack companion alerting you to a bear(black) in the area of you camp and hunting bears(black) with dogs? in both cases the hunters are licensed for bear. bears are in season. it is during hunting hours.

LOL what is the difference between be alerting of bears and hunting bears. Do you really need someone to answer that? There is a huge difference. If a dog alerts you to a bear in the area of your camp while hunting can save you from a bad confrontation that could cause for you getting hurt or worse or from a bear that normaly wouldnt be shot getting killed because he came into camp.
And really gives you no advantage other than knowing he is in the area. You think guys will use the wait in camp till my dog alerts me to a bear in the area style of hunting? Ya that is a high percentage type of a hunt.

Your grasping at usless straws now. Your only reason for your attempt at rationality is because your scared that if restrictions on hunting dogs are enforced then you may be effected with hounds( not what anyone has suggested or wants).
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Thumbs down Boring

This is one of the worst\Dumbest threads about argueing over such a stupid thing i've ever Heard of.

JMO but what a waste of some of your guy's time.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
This is one of the worst\Dumbest threads about argueing over such a stupid thing i've ever Heard of.

Why is me wanting to have my dog with me on my solo big game hunts and packing with me stupid? Because you think so? I feel strongly about this and am working to try and change things with it. Your opinion is really the only waste of time here.
Thanks for making and apperance.

Funny thing is your think its stupid and boring but you read the whol thread. LOL so what does that say about you.
If you dont like it read the other threads out there that you actually have an interest in.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Your talking to someone that's had stock dogs all their life...I know what they can do and what they can't and it's somewhat a moot point anyhow because having a dog assist in the hunt would be illegal.
Agreed Sheep......and you're talking to a guy that likes most dogs more than most people.... .....that said nothing makes my blood boil quicker than seeing dogs chase big game..... when bird hunting I will not tolerate my dogs chasing deer.....when they were puppies they learned that is not what we are after and have never had a problem.. even when we flush deer at a distance measured in feet .. not yards......I have seen non-hunter/hiker types out for a walk and witnessed their dog happily running deer and they saw nothing wrong with it
Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post

Maybe you should check some of the Hunting BC forum threads on pack dogs and such and see what they can actually do. There are some awesome pics of some great pack dogs on some great hunts with therir owners. Packing at least half as much as you could up and down them mountains.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

I think one misconception on this thread is the use of dogs to help with the hunt, or help with the harvest.
SG
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I think one misconception on this thread is the use of dogs to help with the hunt, or help with the harvest.
SG
I think the misconception is that they only be used for packing.
whatever the reason it is simply a matter of having your dog or a rental dog with you, for everything from packing, protection, blood trailing to fetching your gatorade. while you are hunting big game.

It is all allowed for birds, why not for big game.

Same dog, same hunter, same area, different gun.

Closed Thread