Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

I'd like to take my dog too. It might sound goofy but is there a chance that the ban is for safety reasons? My doe decoy is probably the same size as a big dog and I wouldn't want to be anywere near it come gun season. Just sayin.....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM

I would love to bring my dog hunting. I bring her shed hunting and scouting all the time. she has never chased a deer. I do worry sometimes about coyotes running her. But she listen's better now with age. Would be nice to have dog around the hunting camp, much safer, and great companion when your waiting for the sheep to show up.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Absolutely I think they should be allowed. IMO if your dog isn't trained or well behaved it will do nothing but hinder your hunting efforts.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
I am under the impression that it is even frowned upon to have your dogs with you at your hunt camp...is this correct? I really do not have any reason to have my dog with me while actually "hunting"..... but to have them there during the night or down time, or while skinning etc. to be an extra couple of eyes and ears...that, I would enjoy.

Edit: I have also heard cautionary tales about having your dog in the truck with you while driving to and from a hunting spot....true or not true??
frowned upon, yes, mostly because its impossible for the CO to know that 100% the dog is to stay at camp 100% of the time and not go with you hunting. And as most hunting camps, you can shoot right from the camp, and if the dog is outside the camp, you can possibly be breaking the law.
If there is someone at camp that doesnt hunt big game, and when the CO comes, you say its their dog, then less of a hassle.
I have had people with dogs visit hunting camp, with no issues; but each CO are different and no telling which one will give you a hard time.

If you have the dog in the truck, then that gun must be encased; if the gun is out of its case, like we all do when driving from spot to spot, then you are technically hunting and the dog cannot be with you (for big game)

Go to Ontario , for most WMUs your dog can go with you, you would have to get a "dog license" that cost about $11; i dont think your dog has to be professionally trained, but would have to verify
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

You forgot these Sheep:

This one I remember especially well because it's when you guys overtook my sorry butt and slingshotted to victory at the summit.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM

I've hunted with hounds for bear, deer , rabbits, coyotes foxes, etc. in other provinces,and have no problem with it.
A dog can be a wonderful companion in the bush and as Sheephunter sated, save a bear's life.
Back in my younger days, when on a fly in line, I ran a team of dogs, and when things got dicey, they would always come through as a team - 'nuff said about that!
Cat
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM

I believe you can train your dog on wild birds in BC, that would be nice to be able to do legally here.
The one problem I've encountered with having the dog with me, is if you are in an area with wolves, and they cross your trail, they will come after you. Had that happen 5 yrs ago hunting chickens near Sundre, it got interesting.
You have to have a dog that will listen and obey. I've logged a lot of miles walking seismic roads in the 300 zones after chickens and rabbits, one dog had a nose to nose with a doe, no big deal. Definitely useful for scouting areas. They know 1000 times more about an area than we ever will.
I'd really like to get the reasoning behind them not being allowed to be with you when hunting vs. being allowed when hiking & etc.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Mine is semi-trained... probably by some big buck at one time. If the deer are still he just stands and watches them. If they approach he scurries back to me. But if they turn tail and run THEN he takes off after them. LOL

I thought he was a coward but he takes off after every coyote he sees too. He's not a coward, just stupid (a Britt) LOL I DO find the new e-collar I got has been helping.
Weird, my Britt acts the same way. If anything approaches, he comes back to me, if it stands still he points, and if it runs away, then I'm hitting the red button on the e-collar. I often come up a hill or around a bluff or something and find him in a thousand yard stare with a coyote about 30 yards ahead of him. The coyote sees me and books it, and off the dog goes chasing him like he wants to play. Friggin dog!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM

When I was posted/living in Germany I hunted with locals who Always took their dogs out big game hunting (if you can call a Roe Buck big game). Blood tracking/trailing was the main purpose, but some dog specialzed in boar. The dogs utiziled were varied, bloodhounds(tracking) and terriers(boar) were a given, but versatile hunting dogs such as German Shorthairs and Wirehairs were also popular.

I was lucky enough to train some dogs over there and when the Army posted me back to Canada, Ontario, I worked at getting the Ontario F&W people to allow me to use my dog (I brought a Wirehair back with me) for big game blood tracking. I had to prove/test my dog to various F&W officials, but eventually I was allowed to use my dog on blood tracks. She received a special license, was called out by F&W for a number of tracks (even had a poaching conviction credited to her) and partook in the CFB Borden annual deer hunt/cull.

No regulations were changed at the time, however I believe that a few of the fellows I trained with did manage to get the regulations changed in New York to allow blood tracking and as companion dogs afield for big game hunts.

Taking dogs afield is very positive, they can be utilized in many ways to assit hunters. Dogs naturally need to be well trained/behaved, and the owners need to know the dogs abilities and handle them apropriately.
Good luck to any who are attempting to change our regulations so that dogs can accompany us afield.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Banned

true animal lovers.... what a nice thread.... as a non dog owner and hunter i think if common sense is applied there should be no problem............ carry on...........sorry to butt in !!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm all for having a dog for tracking wounded game. I've taked to Jeanneny who was prof at New York State who started the whole thing in the US. He uses standard dachsunds. (they are hardly fast enough to chase anything) It can work very well if regulated properly.

But I have had two indicents that are very disturbing. I shot a buck and while dressing it a truck pulls up and two guys and a dog get out. The dog rushes over to the buck sniffs around then pees on it. I got after the dog and in turn the two guys got after me. I think the only thing that prevented them from kicking my butt was I had the gun.

I hunt for sheep in an area where every year the outfitter hires someone with 3-4 dogs to go up a day or two before the season opens for the residents and chase the sheep into the park. Happens regularily for the past 3 years. In this case you live with it and work around it because if stopped the outfitter will come up with another way to thwart the resident hunter.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Ummm... I don't see any leash. Is that private land?

LOL I'm just kidding. I like to have my dog off leash as often as possible too. But didn't we just have a big discussion on this with regard to the dog that got snared? Isn't a leash required? Then I thought "hey wait a minute. Does that mean I can't bird hunt on public land with my dog???".

Now I'm totally confused.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Great thread Redfrog !! I totally agree that we should be able to have our Dogs accompany us while Mountain Hunting. Yes there also has to be rules that our Dogs have to obey and its our responsibility they do so.

TJ i appreciate your voice in supporting the use of Dog's in the Mountains!
What does Jet actually pack? It looks like there's still room in his bags.

What in general would most pack Dog's carry besides their own food and water..

While scouting in the Kootenays last Summer in Grizzly country ,and yes we saw Grizzlies there, we had Greg's Lab, Luke with us as well as other means of defending ourselves should the need arise.

Fast forward to the end of Sept and Luke accompanied us while Goat hunting in BC. Austin had a box made for his quad that Luke used for the long travel to the top of the mountain then we walked and glassed the ridgelines.

I have not had the opportunity to have the Springer accompany me on any Mountain hunts but he does come along on summer Hike-in fishing trips and Hikes in general. His other talent is fetching a " Cold Beer " at the end of the day's Hike !! Talk about Man's best friend !!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
TJ i appreciate your voice in supporting the use of Dog's in the Mountains!
What does Jet actually pack? It looks like there's still room in his bags.

What in general would most pack Dog's carry besides their own food and water..

]
He's still young so we didn't want to overload his still developing joints but I'm guessing he'll be able to take about 12 pounds...basically food for a week, his bedroll and a bit of water. He's only a 47 pound dog.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up

Thats great that you got the resolution in sheephunter!
You know which way I will be voting at the confrence.
Hopefully it passes.

Myself and Walking Buffalo have been in talks about writing a resolution for next year. But looks like you beat us to it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Thats great that you got the resolution in sheephunter!
You know which way I will be voting at the confrence.
Hopefully it passes.

Myself and Walking Buffalo have been in talks about writing a resolution for next year. But looks like you beat us to it.

Is there another process or some way to speed things up?
It always seems to take a long time to change anything unless you can light a fire under someone.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
He's still young so we didn't want to overload his still developing joints but I'm guessing he'll be able to take about 12 pounds...basically food for a week, his bedroll and a bit of water. He's only a 47 pound dog.
Thats kinda Cool, The Cowboy Dog with his bedroll and his food ,all he needs to enjoy the Mountains !

2 years ago while hiking into Kinglet Lake we encountered a family with 4 dogs of all sizes. The one big Pitbull had these big bags of water in his pack , and he got spooked when i went to pet him and he began rolling down the hill until a bush stopped him ! Way overloaded !

So what about Foot care? what has anyone had a dog tear a pad on the shale or anything? How about repair kit if the dog gets hurt...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckshow View Post
Weird, my Britt acts the same way. If anything approaches, he comes back to me, if it stands still he points, and if it runs away, then I'm hitting the red button on the e-collar. I often come up a hill or around a bluff or something and find him in a thousand yard stare with a coyote about 30 yards ahead of him. The coyote sees me and books it, and off the dog goes chasing him like he wants to play. Friggin dog!
My 2 cents FWIW:

I had a Britt for 12 years and he was great as a bird dog but if he bumped a deer while we were out hunting he'd be chasing it. I never could break him of that "chase" instinct of his. I'd hear him barking half a klick away and have to wait for him 5 or 10 minutes to return to me. He didn't like yotes either and he'd put the run on them as well but he'd stop once they turned tail. IMO He was well trained for what he was supposed to do and that is hunt birds but not suitable for accompanying me as a companion on a big game hunt.

In theory, having a dog companion in the mountains would be nice but it'd be too hard to regulate. Some breeds would be better suited for it while others have too many undesirable traits for that situation. "Well trained" is relative to what people perceive it to mean and I could foresee problems arising from it. Perhaps only allowing certain breeds (ie Burmese Mountain Dogs) would be a solution but even then there'd be some very unhappy hunters if their dog wasn't one of the select breeds of dogs.

I'd be careful what was wished for. One persons standards of a well trained dog might be allot higher than the standards for other people and you might end up with dogs running around out there that you'd rather not see.

Okotokion
"Now I'm totally confused." me too!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
My 2 cents FWIW:

I had a Britt for 12 years and he was great as a bird dog but if he bumped a deer while we were out hunting he'd be chasing it. I never could break him of that "chase" instinct of his. I'd hear him barking half a klick away and have to wait for him 5 or 10 minutes to return to me. He didn't like yotes either and he'd put the run on them as well but he'd stop once they turned tail. IMO He was well trained for what he was supposed to do and that is hunt birds but not suitable for accompanying me as a companion on a big game hunt.
My Britt to a tee. And my thoughts as well. That's just my dog though. Not saying others can't be well trained.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
My 2 cents FWIW:

In theory, having a dog companion in the mountains would be nice but it'd be too hard to regulate. Some breeds would be better suited for it while others have too many undesirable traits for that situation. "Well trained" is relative to what people perceive it to mean and I could foresee problems arising from it. Perhaps only allowing certain breeds (ie Burmese Mountain Dogs) would be a solution but even then there'd be some very unhappy hunters if their dog wasn't one of the select breeds of dogs.

I'd be careful what was wished for. One persons standards of a well trained dog might be allot higher than the standards for other people and you might end up with dogs running around out there that you'd rather not see.
Or make the rules clear and and charge those that don't follow them. Breed of dog has absolutely zero to do with how well it's trained or how well it can be trained. Sorry Dave, I can't agree with you on that one. How about making people responsible for their dog of choice? Seems simple to me.......I don't see having big brother tell me what breed is suitable as a workable solution. At some point, we have to be responsible for our own decisions! I'm not a big fan of the "nanny" state.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM

I agree you can't do it based on breed. It is an owners responsibility to keep a dog under control. I love hunting with my dog at my side. As far as dogs running all over heck and beyond that can happen now with anyone walking their dog. They don't have to be hunting and it does not seem to be a problem now. I don't see why people have problems with dogs; like Glacier National Park you can't have a dog on the trail with you but hey horses can tear the heck out of the trail and they don't have to pick up their crap.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM

I would love to have a dog in camp and to use him to pack meat out. I don't see a problem with it. Especially in bear country!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I would love to have a dog in camp and to use him to pack meat out. I don't see a problem with it. Especially in bear country!
It's called "trolling"
Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Or make the rules clear and and charge those that don't follow them. Breed of dog has absolutely zero to do with how well it's trained or how well it can be trained. Sorry Dave, I can't agree with you on that one. How about making people responsible for their dog of choice? Seems simple to me.......I don't see having big brother tell me what breed is suitable as a workable solution. At some point, we have to be responsible for our own decisions! I'm not a big fan of the "nanny" state.
Perhaps not being breed selective (I've seen allot of well trained mutts) but I think that the breed of dog has allot to do with it. Some breeds were bred to do certain things while others were not. I'd never dream of taking my old Britt to the mountains while I was hunting big game, he's not bred for it, he's bred for something completely different and that was something that he was born with.

If someone only wanted a dog as a companion then any dog would do but if the proposal is about allowing pack dogs then you'd think that the dog would have to be big enough to actually pack something. Strapping a first aid kit on a 20 pound dog is just a way to beat the system IMHO. That's why I provided the example of the Burmese Mountain dog as an example earlier. That is what they were bred for.

Indeed the rules should be clear and enforced. The question is, how do you define the rules and enforce them?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Perhaps not being breed selective (I've seen allot of well trained mutts) but I think that the breed of dog has allot to do with it. Some breeds were bred to do certain things while others were not. I'd never dream of taking my old Britt to the mountains while I was hunting big game, he's not bred for it, he's bred for something completely different and that was something that he was born with.

If someone only wanted a dog as a companion then any dog would do but if the proposal is about allowing pack dogs then you'd think that the dog would have to be big enough to actually pack something. Strapping a first aid kit on a 20 pound dog is just a way to beat the system IMHO. That's why I provided the example of the Burmese Mountain dog as an example earlier. That is what they were bred for.

Indeed the rules should be clear and enforced. The question is, how do you define the rules and enforce them?
LOL....I'm not sure there's a dog "bred" for packing in the North American mountains. All dogs can be taught to pack and all dogs can be taught not to chase animals and all dogs can be taught a multitude of things. My dog wasn't "bred" to retrieve but he does...should he not be allowed to go duck hunting with me? My dog was not "bred" to flush upland birds but he does. If you are willing to spend some time with a dog they can be taught to do a lot of things they weren't "bred" for.

And BTW, it's Bernese not Bermese...they don't come from Burma. Just cause Bernese Mountain dogs have mountain in their name really doesn't mean they were "bred" for packing in the mountains. They were "bred" as herding dogs. Some of the best pack dogs are malamutes but again, that's not what they were "bred" for. I think you might be selling your little Britt short. You might be surprised what he can do with some proper training. I've sen some pretty awesome labs and golden retrievers as pack dogs!

Other provinces, states and territories have no trouble defining and enforcing the rules...why should Alberta be so much different? Write the rules in the Wildlife Act and have COs enforce them...pretty much the same as every other regulation in the Act that's subject to abuse.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Westcoast summer hike to an alpine lake. I had an awesome malemute packing in with me. It was a steady climb for most of the day and it was mid week. The lake had visitors on the weekend but I'd never seen anyone there during the week.

As you got within a couple hundred yards of the lake the terrain flattened out and the rain forest opened up into the alpine. The dog was in front of me of course and when he saw the lake he started to trot to the water.

I heard the 'sasquatch' screams and ran to the lake. A hiker was lying on his back with the dog nose to nose with him.

He had been sleeping in the sun and enjoying the solitude and the dog ran up and licked his face. When he opened his eyes he saw WOLF!!!!!! and sceamed.

When he realized what was really happening we had a good laugh. By the end of the next day, he was talking about getting a pack dog.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM

dogfish my grandfather hunted deer with a dog it would chase and hold the deer until my gandfather caught up to them and shot it usauly less than 300yds.from the time they seen it till the dog had its full atention. peace river cuontry 1935 to 1940
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL....I'm not sure there's a dog "bred" for packing in the North American mountains. All dogs can be taught to pack and all dogs can be taught not to chase animals and all dogs can be taught a multitude of things. My dog wasn't "bred" to retrieve but he does...should he not be allowed to go duck hunting with me? My dog was not "bred" to flush upland birds but he does. If you are willing to spend some time with a dog they can be taught to do a lot of things they weren't "bred" for.

And BTW, it's Bernese not Bermese...they don't come from Burma. Just cause Bernese Mountain dogs have mountain in their name really doesn't mean they were "bred" for packing in the mountains. They were "bred" as herding dogs. Some of the best pack dogs are malamutes but again, that's not what they were "bred" for. I think you might be selling your little Britt short. You might be surprised what he can do with some proper training. I've sen some pretty awesome labs and golden retrievers as pack dogs!

Other provinces, states and territories have no trouble defining and enforcing the rules...why should Alberta be so much different? Write the rules in the Wildlife Act and have COs enforce them...pretty much the same as every other regulation in the Act that's subject to abuse.
I'm not saying that dogs can't be trained, I'm saying that there are traits in some breeds that you just can't train out of them. They've been bred for centuries to be a certain way and it's pretty hard to train all of the instincts out of them. Just when you think that you have they'll prove you wrong.

My Britt is dead, however that breed has an extremely high amount of energy and is nothing like a lab or a retriever....not even close. I suppose that if I had put him on Ritalin before going to the mountains he'd forget about hunting but other than that he would not have been suitable for that type of task. BerNese Mountain dogs on the other hand are big and strong with a mellow temperament.

I've hunted with dogs in Ontario but that's different from bringing a pack dog along for a hunt. If the regs allow for hunting with dogs then the type of dog that you take in the bush is not an issue, you want a high energy chase dog. Pack dog, not so much.

I'm not opposed to your proposal, in fact I like it, but I think that it might be a pandora's box if you open it up. Everyone has their own standards when it comes to their dogs and not everyone's dog will be as well behaved as yours. If you are about to shoot your trophy sheep and someone's pack dog "in training" starts barking at it and you don't get the shot you'll be a little ticked.

I'm just saying.....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not opposed to your proposal, in fact I like it, but I think that it might be a pandora's box if you open it up. Everyone has their own standards when it comes to their dogs and not everyone's dog will be as well behaved as yours. If you are about to shoot your trophy sheep and someone's pack dog "in training" starts barking at it and you don't get the shot you'll be a little ticked.

I'm just saying.....
i thnk the pack dogs owner shooting the sheep before you did would be a more likely scenario. why would the guy let his dog bark close enough to spooka sheep, but not shoot himself?

ive never understood the rules against a dog beside you. if running game with dogs is frowned upon, just keep the rules to read that. this seems too simple.
Closed Thread