Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Default Trapline Auction

Here's a couple of traplines being auctioned off if anyone is interested.

http://www.millersauctionservice.com...les/index.html
Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 PM

The grande cache Trapline has been for sale for years. It was 300K now down to 200K. I offered him 100K and he laughed at me on the phone. I'm sure there is a large reserve on this item at the auction.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 PM

I was wondering if that was the line. Thanks tork.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 AM

I would be nervous to put a 20 % non refundable deposit and then not have esrd approve the transfer.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 AM

I don't know if its even legal to auction a trapline. At the end of the day the government will decide who gets to trap it. When you “buy” a line it actually goes back to the government then they reissue it to a new trapper.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 AM

I personally will have no issue with putting the 20% down and buying that line through the auction if the price is right. Time well tell
Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
I don't know if its even legal to auction a trapline. At the end of the day the government will decide who gets to trap it. When you “buy” a line it actually goes back to the government then they reissue it to a new trapper.
Not ...
Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Who's at the auction today?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Trap line went for 160K
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Wow! Did the horses and tack sell high also? Thx
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Holy smokes. Better than the $200000 but not by much. I wonder what would happen if the ersd declined the transfer.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:56 PM

I never made it down. That's 60K more then I would have paid anyway. As for SRD they can't stop the transfer anyway, just prolong it but there are ways around that anyway.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I never made it down. That's 60K more then I would have paid anyway. As for SRD they can't stop the transfer anyway, just prolong it but there are ways around that anyway.
They can stop it if they feel the person doesn't qualify or is buying it for the wrong reason.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yup, thjat is what I had to deal with until I started to blow a fuse. Was on the edge of hiring a lawyer and they new it
Old 10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAbercrombie View Post
Trap line went for 160K
Must be some good trappin there...how many squirrels to net $160,000, and then you have to eat and buy equipment, income tax etc. One busy man here.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Must be some good trappin there...how many squirrels to net $160,000, and then you have to eat and buy equipment, income tax etc. One busy man here.
You're forgetting one thing about these traplines when calculating your expenses RS. The line will never net 160k in a year or even 5 but it will over time. If the guy can net 10K a year while doing something he enjoys then sell the line in 20 years for 200-300K I would say that's not a bad deal.
I personally would not pay 160K for that Trapline but there are other lines I would. There are several lines in Wilmore that I would pay those kinds of prices, without batting an eye.
I have no idea what Brian paid for his line in Wilmore and I have no doubt it will remain in his family for a very very long time, but if he ever did decide to sell it the profit over the original purchase price would prob look like a pretty decent investment on paper.
Like it or not we live in a world where dollars and cents are what makes the world go around. If somebody wants it they will pay whatever it costs to have it.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're forgetting one thing about these traplines when calculating your expenses RS. The line will never net 160k in a year or even 5 but it will over time. If the guy can net 10K a year while doing something he enjoys then sell the line in 20 years for 200-300K I would say that's not a bad deal.
I personally would not pay 160K for that Trapline but there are other lines I would. There are several lines in Wilmore that I would pay those kinds of prices, without batting an eye.
I have no idea what Brian paid for his line in Wilmore and I have no doubt it will remain in his family for a very very long time, but if he ever did decide to sell it the profit over the original purchase price would prob look like a pretty decent investment on paper.
Like it or not we live in a world where dollars and cents are what makes the world go around. If somebody wants it they will pay whatever it costs to have it.
You are the exact type of person I'm talking about. You have money to buy a public resource for your own personal use and are allowed to do so because the government is so lax. As you say like it or not you have the money and could care less about the less fortunate even though they have as much right to the animals as you do.

Do you really think the line won't net $160,000 in a year? Very astute. Let's see your estimates to net $10,000 per year.

Explain why the government allows the selling and privatization of the right to own these lines when all you are supposed to get is compensation for improvements and equipment etc. My first post said it was a great investment, there is no argument there. I think most people in the province would like their own private piece of crown land to build a cabin on and hunt and trap from.

I will give you credit for being honest - I've never seen it so blatantly stated before.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Rabbit I see you are one jelous cat. Save some money and buy a line. It doesn't have to cost much to own one you know and there are a lot for sale if you keep your eyes open. If you can afford to buy a new truck you can afford to buy a line. Difference is a line will actually make you a few dollars if it is decent enough. It's like anything in life bud, you want it go work for it.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
You are the exact type of person I'm talking about. You have money to buy a public resource for your own personal use and are allowed to do so because the government is so lax. As you say like it or not you have the money and could care less about the less fortunate even though they have as much right to the animals as you do.

Do you really think the line won't net $160,000 in a year? Very astute. Let's see your estimates to net $10,000 per year.

Explain why the government allows the selling and privatization of the right to own these lines when all you are supposed to get is compensation for improvements and equipment etc. My first post said it was a great investment, there is no argument there. I think most people in the province would like their own private piece of crown land to build a cabin on and hunt and trap from.

I will give you credit for being honest - I've never seen it so blatantly stated before.
Honesty is kinda my thing, like it or not you're going to hear how it is whether you like it or not.
Everything in the world today is for sale. The government allows these sales to happen because it has no choice. I agree that all Traplines should be used and not just so people can have a cabin, no doubt some are being used like this and that's wrong but very hard to prevent. If the government tried to limit the sale price people will just find a way around it. (EI. Sell the Trapline for $2500 then sell you my hat for $100,000) People will pay whatever they feel the line is worth and people will sell for the highest dollar amount they can.
When I left home at 18 and moved halfway across the country my father told me I could have anything I wanted in life, I just had to work for it. He said I could do as much or as little as I wanted but he never wanted to hear me complain about what somebody else has. He gave me $300 that day and I said goodbye. That was the last dollar I was ever given, every other penny I received I worked for, and I've worked Facken hard for it.
I donate time, money and I'm the first one to help out anybody that needs it. Every year I take kids out hunting or trapping and expose them to a world they wouldn't otherwise get to experience. So you can take your "could care less about the less fortunate" and shove it.
If you spent less time bitching and whining about what other people have and more time working towards what you want you would be way further ahead.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Default Beavers wanted

Looking for some beaver and or muskrat carcasses for the winter trapline. Can pick up in Edmonton thanksgiving weekend!

Let me know.

Thanks

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1