Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Calling Lake

Anyone know if you can drive a truck on Calling Lake? Going early tomorrow from Airdrie and am wondering if I should pack the quad with the truck or take the much more economical 4-Runner on such a day trip. Thanks. Later.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 PM

Haven't been myself, but aparently at New Year's some trucks were having a hard time getting on, due to how the ice was packed at the edge of the lake. And when they did get on they were all staying in the previous truck tracks. Lots more snow up there then Edmonton. Fishing was super slow. Source of info is reliable, but not sure how much has changed in 12 days?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Calling Lake

I was up there today (Saturday) with a friend and drove all over the lake, mostly without the use of 4x4. There are good paths to the major fishing points on the north end, by the tower, and at the provincial park. There is a lot more snow up there than down here, and there are certain parts of the lake with flood ice issues, but it is not terribly hard to navigate around. There may be a chance of getting high centered on some of the paths, especially with no 4x4. There are several very easy access points onto the lake. Fishing, on the other hand, is very slow right now. Not many people catching anything more than a couple perch and small numbers of walleye. We had very limited success. Good luck, and bring a heater if you've got one...it was cold up there today!