Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Default Canyon Creek

Anyone have info on ice conditions at Canyon Creek? Lesser Slave of course.
Cheers!!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM

Further west of there they have been driving on for over a week. No problems.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM

18" of ice at canyon creek i'm told by a good buddy who's been hitting it steady.

Mad
Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM

We were out there on Jan 1 and there was 14" of ice about 1km out.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Never made it out in Jan unfortunately. Either this weekend or next. Anything change as for access and or snow accumulation? I only ask this as we once drove from Edmonton only to turn around and head home as access by truck was impossible. Have also had some hard treks to fishing location. Approx 2K out. Any info is always appreciated.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM

I was out there last week. There was a minivan out there. Very little snow left as most had melted. I don't think they had much snow since either. Around 20 " of ice out by the shacks. Easy access from the marina.
Fishing was a bit slow as I stayed shallower than 30'. You usually catch more fish if you're in 35 - 50 feet of water but the fish will most likely die if you release them The eyes bug out or the air bladder fills up from the pressure change and they won't survive.
If you get close to the drop off going past 30' you will get the occasional fish coming up during the day. Lots of burbs come around.
The walleye go on a frenzy just after sunup and again about 1/2 hour before dark. I always have an extra rod or 2 baited up because when they come in in the evening they come fast and the quicker you can get a hook back down the better. You usually can get 1 or 2 double headers during the evening frenzy
You'll have no trouble getting your 2 keepers each. I haven't caught an undersized fish there all winter. Fairly good burb action and I got a nice fat 8 lb pike at the end of the day last time. Good luck
Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Default slave

did any of you guys use a fish camera down that deep? were u able to see anything?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 PM

I have an Aqua View 715 C. It works well. It has a 50 foot cable and I can see my hooks and some bottom detail fairly well as deep as it reaches. The water is fairly clear at Slave. It even shows colour to about 25 feet
I usually drill 3 holes about 3 feet apart. Put camera down one and I put 2 jigs and minnows down. I can see both pretty well. Sometimes they hit the still one, sometimes the one I'm jigging.
I've also learned that sometimes during the day the less aggressive fish will swim up and look at the bait but not strike. Often if you just lay one jig and minnow on the bottom these fish sometimes grab it. You can also get them to strike by raising it a few inches, pause and do it again. Sometimes they chase it and strike
Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the info. looking forward to this upcoming weekend. Could very well be the last trip of the hardwater season. CHEERS!