Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM

Default If It Was Legal In Alberta Would You Hunt Over A Food Plot?

How would you feel about killing a big game animal over a food plot....if it was legal to do so.

They have food plots in the U.S., would you like to be able to have them here as well?

Even if it was legal here, would you feel that it would be wrong for yourself to hunt over a food plot?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM

what do you mean exactly by a food plot (hay field);(pile of grain)?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Banned

Not in the least bit would it bother me... I don't see why,,, all you are offering them is food... How many would you feed in comparisons to what you shoot,, I would think very little

In this province when we are being overwhelmed by deer the authorities have to open up their closed minds and allow many more opportunities...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 AM

lots of farmers are doing this already hunting on hay fields or crops,kinda like shooting fish in a barrel,,i dont disagree with doin this,,just lots that use this for there own personal "fenced hunt",meaning the ones that dont allow any one access but themselves.. so it would be kinda cool if the other half of us were allowed to use food plots to legally maybe even things up abit ,,just my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Banned

Luv 2 Hunt...what a load of crap, you make it sound like you have never had the Chance to hunt farm land.

Fenced hunts... My ass

No problem what so ever for us, we hunt the fringe.. Sorry if you don't have the social skills to talk with land owners.

I hate this crap, are actually a hunter or do you just bitch for a living?

Jamie
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Gamehunter

Smile Research

[

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 AM

Somebody wanna enlighten me on the differences of hunting a wolf thsat comes into a kill or a bear bait, or hunting a bear over bbait as opposed to hhunting deer over bait?
As far as I can tell, THERE AIN'T NONE!!
They're all critters....
Cat
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 AM

Problem being Cat. Baiting deer in Alberta is illegal.
There is only one way this thread is going.
And all I see is it is going to turn into a giant..............

There are no absolutes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM

Saw that can & had the urge to go to the river !

Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Problem being Cat. Baiting deer in Alberta is illegal.
There is only one way this thread is going.
And all I see is it is going to turn into a giant..............
"IF it was legal" was the catch phrase, Dick!
I don't know how this really has to do with ethics and such, because in some areas of Canada it is legal, as is hunting bigg game with a .22 cal centerfire.
It has more to do with accepted practices.

I know that in the States, it is frowned upon by some to shoot turkeys with a centerfire while others think only a fool would use a shotgun.
I could never get my head around that one!
Others think that hunting chickens with a .22 LR is not sporting while others have used nothing but.
For the record, my brother and I never hunted birds with anything but a shotgun and a lab 'till we left home and got onto the trapline.

Cat
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 AM

Thats it...BAN FARMING
Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Kill Over Food (bait)

"They have food plots in the U.S"

Thats like saying that all Canadians speak French. Some states allow it and some don't.

If it was legal, we would have the option of doing it.........why not? You cannot bait bears in BC but in AB you can........so we (most) do it. Your question imparts an undesireable or unethical quotient to those who would do it. In all fairness we shouldn't bait each other on these kind of questions. I don't judge or berate any hunter for following the law.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Is hunting deer over a food plot even Illegal? Baiting obviously is, that's why most of the non-res aliens go to SK to hunt whitetails.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM

I don't have any MORAL problem. If you are licenced to kill an animal and one is gonna die, does it really make a huge difference (at least to the animal) where you kill it? If food plots were really really effective (and I have no idea if they are), I probably wouldn't want to as it would be too easy and take a bit of the enjoyment and sport away of actually finding the game. That said, we hunt waterfowl over decoys, so..... Not really hung up on it one way or the other. But I'm no expert.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Default 2 cents

Bear baiting and deer baiting are 2 completly different issues. Some states have changed their tune with regards to food plots becuase succesful ones(plots) will concentrate abnormaly large numbers of deer in one area for extended periods of time and have been blamed for accelerated amounts of CWD in wild deer populations. Alberta is absolutely loaded with hunting oportunities, all you have to do is get off your ass and enjoy them. I see no reason to try and fabricate new ones.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM

jamie it was just my thoughts on it,i never asked your opinion .must have touched a nerve though huh?? and you dont even know me so dont even coment on my hunting skills or ethics .
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
Bear baiting and deer baiting are 2 completly different issues. Some states have changed their tune with regards to food plots becuase succesful ones(plots) will concentrate abnormaly large numbers of deer in one area for extended periods of time and have been blamed for accelerated amounts of CWD in wild deer populations. Alberta is absolutely loaded with hunting oportunities, all you have to do is get off your ass and enjoy them. I see no reason to try and fabricate new ones.
X2 on the CWD issue. Don't need to have plots.
The next thing will be should land owners charge for access to the land.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM

With all the deer you guys have here I don't see a need for food plots. Back home in Nova Scotia it is legal for us to bait (most hunters do) and use food plots but we don't have the population of deer you have here in Alberta. I'm use to hunting all season and not seeing a deer. Seeing as you have CWD here I know why baiting deer is not allowed, but I don't see a problem with food plots ,if a hunter wants to put in all the time and money into it. I don't believe food plots help transmit the CWD.

If your not allowed to bait, why are you allowed to feed deer. I've seen a house where deer are fed all winter and it's a few hundred yards from the ranger station. Feeding and baiting is the same thing to me and your also consentrating a large number of deer in one area.

As far as ethics, it's different from province to province. I've seen some things in the regulations book here that most hunters let along the conservation officers wouldn't let you get away with back home.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Gamehunter

Default Unacceptable and Weak

[

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
lots of farmers are doing this already hunting on hay fields or crops,kinda like shooting fish in a barrel,,i dont disagree with doin this,,just lots that use this for there own personal "fenced hunt",meaning the ones that dont allow any one access but themselves.. so it would be kinda cool if the other half of us were allowed to use food plots to legally maybe even things up abit ,,just my 2 cents
LOL.....fenced hunt.....I really hope you're kidding.....

If you seriously think that by havnig crops or fields that its like shooting fish in a barrel, then you are really mistaken or you've hunted some amazing spots with some stupid deer....lol.

You say 'maybe it would be cool if the other half were allowed to use food plots? Well....you'd need to OWN land....you'd need to plant the crops.....and you'd need to fence it.....hmmmm sounds like you'd be a farmer.....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehunter View Post

I dont know about this pat of your thread lazyike how many deer cull's have been done In the province becuase of abnormaly large numbers of deer in one area for extended periods of time These place's are not food plots but yet cwd was found so i cant accept the cwd theory no good unacceptable and weak.
Its not weak or unnacceptable.....its the truth. Food plots have been blamed as one of the causes of CWD. Large concentrations of animals on the area. Baiting of course is blamed more, but small food plots have been blamed as well. There has been research on the subject....I dont think I'd call it 'weak' that some researchers blame food-plots as a partial cause of CWD.....of course its not the ONLY cause....but you'd have to be pretty thick to not see that it may have an affect....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I dont know about this pat of your thread lazyike how many deer cull's have been done In the province becuase of abnormaly large numbers of deer in one area for extended periods of time These place's are not food plots but yet cwd was found so i cant accept the cwd theory no good unacceptable and weak.

The only thing a agree upon.
Your logic here is a bit flawed unless you support the spread of CWD and wish to accelrate it through artificial means?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:41 PM

okay maybe "fenced hunt" was not the right term,was just ****ed at the moment.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Because I hunt deer in a hay field and geese in a pea field does that mean I am illegally hunting over a food plot?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 PM

A food plot would be the same as a pile of grain and a salt block, is that legal?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Gamehunter

Quote:
Your logic here is a bit flawed unless you support the spread of CWD
Of course not Who would want the spread of cwd like i said at the start of this thread i dont know enough about food plots to say yes or no.

Alberta has no food plots that i know of but yet we have cull's and deer are found to have cwd .So it could be safe to say that wild deer killed in a cull on a alfalfa field where they concentrated helped to spread cwd kind of a (catch 22 )wouldnt you think .

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-10-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
okay maybe "fenced hunt" was not the right term,was just ****ed at the moment.
Fair enough.
Your right, it did touch a nerve with me. Not sure why... But it did.
Sorry if I went over the top

Jamie
Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM

its ok jamie,i deserved that i was typing without thinking and got all caught up in a ****y mood
Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM

When it comes to CWD I think a food plot and a bait pile are two different animals. If CWD is pass by saliva then a foodplot is no more a danger than a hay field or any other crop or browse. A bait pile pretty much ensures mouth to mouth contact because of the concentrated nature a bait pile is measure in square feet not acres.

Ethics wise if you are hunting any food source your hunting a bait, does not matter to me if it is purpose built to feed deer or a farmers crop or a natural food source you are leveraging an animals need to feed against it.

Now mind you one thing food plots do throw off is a 180 point buck off food plot land (and usually QDM as well) on the same level as one from the wild. Thats were it starts to pushing into a farmed sort of feeling.

One concern for me is with food plots is the deer hear actually above real carrying capacity, over population will lead to problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Of course not Who would want the spread of cwd like i said at the start of this thread i dont know enough about food plots to say yes or no.

Alberta has no food plots that i know of but yet we have cull's and deer are found to have cwd .So it could be safe to say that wild deer killed in a cull on a alfalfa field where they concentrated helped to spread cwd kind of a (catch 22 )wouldnt you think .
I agree, it's safe to say that anything that concentrates deer into small areas and close quarters would help the transmission of CWD. We can't tell every farmer in Albetra to stop planting alfalfa or oats or fall rye, but we can (in theory) control the use of food plots and bait piles. That is why they are illegal. You deal with what you can realistically control. There are just some things you can control and some you can't. Welcome to wildlife management boys and girls Perhaps we should put deer fence around all the mineral licks in Alberta