Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 07:00 AM

Default Walking or sitting for deer?

I only have two years experience hunting whitetail, and would really like to harvest a mulie if the draw works in my favour one of these years. Last year, I tried walking the area, and scared up a moose cow with two calves, who knew I was there. She was booking it in the opposite direction. I saw no whitetail at all. Getting tired later in the day, I sat in my favourite little wooded area looking down on a slough, and out walked a beautiful mulie doe about two hundred yards away. Of course, I don’t have a tag, so all I can do is look. She rubbed salt in the wound by coming towards me until about 25 yards away when she sighted me and pronked off. I did not see a whitetail at all.
Question; is the option of walking better in general, or is sitting better? Does it depend on terrain or my physical condition? I hunt where there is vehicle access to most areas, so I will not have to pack out an animal. Keep in mind my level of experience and the fact that I am 68 years old.

By the way, was it just a bad year for me or are whitetail numbers down in some areas? I did eventually get a small doe, but there was not much meat in the freezer this season…
Old 04-19-2024, 07:53 AM

For most people, hunting in cover, sitting will be more productive, because most people move too fast/noisy, and are seen or heard, or scented. Some people that have the patience and experience do well at still hunting.
For open country, I like spot and stalk for deer. In open country, you can see deer farther, and you are usually far enough away , that you see them , before you spook them, and you can then plan a stalk using the wind and the land to advantage.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:53 AM

It depends ds on the area, amount of sign, and my mood as to whether or not I sit ir still hunt.
I have done both in the same area fir many years.
Cat
Old 04-19-2024, 07:57 AM

Both. There isn't one answer. I find the easier the access as you said there was deer will spook easier. I've walked into deer who didnt care, and i have walked into deer who blew at me and ran. Do what you enjoy most. Personally, I walk a bit until i find a nice spot. then sit. move and repeat. If you find a well used game trail, sit off that trail somewhere keeping wind in mind and wait.

Get yourself a doe bleat can, when sitting in November if thats when you are out use that to arouse some interest. You can also get a little stool from canadian tire which is light and easier to attach to a backpack and you have a seat wherever you want, Depending on your physical limits, try and get away from easily accessed areas. Time in the woods will show you everything.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:58 AM

I can tell you now ,since i am very close to your age my hunting style has changed also . I used to leave my quad in my truck and start walking before the sun came out and return at noon for lunch when i hunted on crown land . I would do both walk until i see tracks then sit and wait .then keep walking and sit again .
I stopped hunting farm land now ,because every 1/2 hr someone thought they owned the land and would just drive in, and circle the field where I was sitting in and then drive out fast .
Now that I am older like you i need to be more safe , I try to keep the truck in my vision at all times when i solo hunt. ( I sold my ATV 2 years ago ) Been mostly road hunting on crown land now driving down lease roads very slow . and just looking down cut lines . Its worked out really good because now i can hunt during the week away from the weekend crowds . I filled two tags in the first two weeks last year doing this .
A lot of people frown upon road hunters in trucks ,but its no different than them driving Atv on the roads and cut lines.
I hope this helps you being more safe .

Last edited by -JR-; 04-19-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:16 AM

Cover, food, water are the three things all animals need.
Find that (it won’t be difficult) then find a good trail between the three. Get off the trail as far as you feel comfortable shooting and wait. Bring a chair! Get comfy, they’ll show up.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:36 AM

Trouble with deer hunting is very soon after season opener the deer go nocternal to feed.

Many times on a full moon in November when there was snow on the ground I have driven to my hunting spot and saw a shadow it was so bright!

I would be a full hour before daylight, and you could see a mouse on the snow in a field. No Deer, as they had already worked their way into the bush out of the field.

Learn to rattle and call. GO into the bush cover that the deer are trailing into from the fields. Find a cross fence area in the bush that gives line of sight of a couple hundred yards in each direction, use cover scents, and sit for a good couple hours morning and evening. Pay attention to the downwind shooting lanes.

You will be surprised how close to the field you can be. Often going in a couple hundred yards into the bush is all you need. Deer move around in cover all day long. The Fields are empty up to last light and often well after last light, thanks to the guys using a truck blind.

If you want to walk the bush, it really is tough as you have to walk into the wind, and it better be good and windy to cover the noise you will make.

Drewski
Old 04-19-2024, 10:54 AM

One thing to remember is that it’s not “the law” to have to head back to the truck/camp for lunch.

I still do, as hunting for me is very much a social activity as it is a passion for the animals that I hunt. And sometimes I’ll be changing areas halfway through the day. Or sometimes we just need to warm up.

I’ve come back to my stand after lunch to find that the deer have been investigating my tracks and stand while I was away.

If you can stay in a promising spot all day, minimize spreading your scent around, stop and sit for a while, it’s amazing what pops out.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:26 AM

Mulie or Whitetail ? I've always found Mulies move around less than Whitetails and are more predictable, I've always used a spot and stalk technique.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-19-2024, 09:44 PM

My favourite way to hunt white tails is in a blind overlooking an alfalfa field. A heater is a must in November when it’s cold.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:15 PM

Default shot many deer

at mid-day just staying put ,letting others push them leaving.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:08 AM

Depending on terrain, I'll either stillhunt, spot and stalk or snow track. It's the way I was taught by my dad and gramps. The thought of sitting in one spot for hours on end holds no appeal to me. Sometimes, as I've aged, I'll seek out a stump or rock to set and stretch out my back when it gets tight, but after 15-20 minutes, I'm back on the move.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:34 AM

Default Sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My favourite way to hunt white tails is in a blind overlooking an alfalfa field. A heater is a must in November when it’s cold.
I do have a small blind, and they do block some wind, but no alfalfa. Might have to try it again this year.

“Been mostly road hunting on crown land now driving down lease roads very slow . and just looking down cut lines . Its worked out really good because now i can hunt during the week away from the weekend crowds . I filled two tags in the first two weeks last year doing this .
A lot of people frown upon road hunters in trucks ,but it’s no different than them driving Atv on the roads and cut lines.”

I got my doe this year doing precisely that!

I see many people have had to change techniques as they age, it’s informative to see what you have done! Thanks for all the comments!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Mostly set up in areas I had previously scouted that showed sign and sit with the wind direction always a huge consideration where I sit.

On super windy days I like to poke around slowly using the wind to cover up sound as they are more likely bedded down.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-20-2024, 10:39 AM

Terrain/habitat dependent I will head back from feeding areas a fair distance and sit first and last hour. After that still hunt bedding/day use areas.
Dependent on how animals move morning sit may be different location from evening sit.
I've always said them BIG old bucks (mind you I don't consider a 160" whitetail or a 180" mule a big deer) have 1 dumb day during the rut. Just gotta get lucky and hit that 1 day
Old 04-20-2024, 11:22 PM

honestly i would say sitting for deer, but spend the time to walk and learn the terrain. don’t just choose a “looks good” spot because it’s open with a shooting lane and a comfy tree to sit next to.

you need to learn there trails, routes mainly. fresh snow and lots of fresh tracks could be that simple for a good sit. limited tracks or sign might be a very poor place to sit. spot and stalk is awesome but invest in good glass and plan to move exceptionally slow.

i hunt some familiar places and unfamiliar every year and i now have the same plane. i move around and glass to see what’s what BUT if i cross some clear very fresh sign i play the wind and hang out. deer move around all day sporadically
Old 04-21-2024, 10:30 AM

I walk to get into where I want to be. Then I still hunt, it might take me all afternoon just to move 200 yds, more like a walking blind that will stay stationary for as long as it takes to figure out what that movement or sound 50 yds away is. You need to move slower than the animals, much slower. You hear them coming first, on occasion I've smelled bedded down rutting bucks before I've see them. I've had deer come and bed down 10 yds away while I'm standing listening to them approach totally unaware I'm there. Then I have to stand there 2 hours not moving until they get up and leave because I know their boyfriend might drop in and visit..

One must be aware of the wind, sound and movement, they can be your friend as much as your nemesis.

Always remember your walking around in their house. . You have to see the woods from the animals perspective and hunt accordingly.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:34 PM

I think it depends on rifle vs. bow hunting too. When I bow hunt, I love walking, but to be honest I am usually more successful sitting. Vice versa for rifle, more range so it tends to be a benefit to cover more area walking, and I don't have to get as close. I really should sit more, but I love walking and always think "what if there is a deer over that hill and I just need to walk over there..."
Old 04-21-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For most people, hunting in cover, sitting will be more productive, because most people move too fast/noisy, and are seen or heard, or scented. Some people that have the patience and experience do well at still hunting.
For open country, I like spot and stalk for deer. In open country, you can see deer farther, and you are usually far enough away , that you see them , before you spook them, and you can then plan a stalk using the wind and the land to advantage.
My thoughts also. In my experience practice your shooting skills at distance and get to know your rifle on an intimate level for best succuess. You won't regret it!
Old 04-22-2024, 09:15 AM

The amount of time I said to myself "if I would have just sat there and waited" are too many to count, so I mostly walk to an area and sit for extended periods of time now, depending on the terrain and the wind of course.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:41 PM

Thick bush is generally better to sit, I’ve also usually had better luck for whitetail sitting. Mule deer I hunt areas with some visibility and it’s mostly spot and stalk.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:49 PM

Sounds like you found a system that works for you.
I think the common wisdom is to sit for whitetails, but if you're looking for does vs mature bucks the truck method maybe just as good as sitting.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:59 PM

#1 best binoculars you can afford
During rut pretty much sit and glass and or move locations slowly , sit and more glassing
Non rut - pretty much sit and glass and or move locations slowly , sit and more glassing.

And when I sit it is for several hours !

As a younger guy I was in good shape and could walk hard core all day long , always saw game but usually running away. Many years later my hunting has changed to sit and glass for the most part. I see lots of game that present more shooting opportunities , but as well I have become more selective of what I want to harvest .
Old 04-28-2024, 09:10 PM

I sit and wait for whitetails. I go looking for Mulies
Old 04-28-2024, 09:25 PM

I use to track my deer find a hot track and follow it till I found the owner. Teaches you a lot about hunting and their habits. Was never a good stalking hunter did not have the patience or soft foot falls. Now that I am a bit older and wiser I find a nice bush or two on a South facing slope and with the wind blowing towards my vehicle and I wait for young guys who are just like I use to be, move the deer to me.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:42 AM

Stalking in heavy cover is productive. You will make noise when you are moving about but so do deer. If you snap a stick give a low grunt or bleat. MOVE SLOWLY and play the wind. Short barrel carbine rifles were developed for exactly this type of hunting.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:28 AM

Can do a combo as well. Walk slowly 50-100yds then stand/sit on stump for 5-10 minutes and listen/look; then repeat.

Best way to combine both methods. I am amazed at how many deer you can actually hear coming way in the distance.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:54 AM

I am not the most experienced hunter out there but I will share my experiences. I have found that when hunting whitetail sitting in a stand is the best option as when I have been walking I tend to bust them more often. When I hunt muleys I am often in large and long coulees. I have had a lot of success hiking them and keeping an eye out for deer. However I have also had luck sitting on the side of a coulee and calling. Honestly I can't tell you one is better then the other, but that is just what I prefer to do
Old 05-01-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Stalking in heavy cover is productive. You will make noise when you are moving about but so do deer. If you snap a stick give a low grunt or bleat. MOVE SLOWLY and play the wind. Short barrel carbine rifles were developed for exactly this type of hunting.
yes, good point, they come looking especially during the rut, they are very curious.