Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Does your bow talk to you too?

Well after a season of bow hunting and "trying it out" I decided to upgrade my equipment. I had decent stuff mind you but since it was my first year I decided not to spend a fortune and bought myself a nice "starter package" off of AT. The reasoning was that if I didn't like bow hunting I wasn't too heavily invested and I could always upgrade the following year or year if I really liked it.

Well as some of you know, it turns out I LOVED bowhunting last year. In fact I went out with my bow probably 80% of the time if not more, than the times that I rifle hunted. Sooooo ..... over the winter I decided to upgrade my gear. I pined for some of the new 2013 models but in the ended up picking up a nice, Strother Rush (off of AT again. lol) I shot it for a bit this spring but "life" was getting in the way and I hadn't shot it for nearly a month or more.

Anyway an opportunity presented itself to pick up a new bow at a decent price. It is more than I want to spend but it is still a good deal. I almost pulled the trigger on it (so to speak or the release I should say, but I figured I'd give it some more thought. While mulling it over I decided to shoot my Rush again and decide if I really wanted to part with it.

Well I head down into the basement with my bow and take a shot. Not bad, a little low but not bad since I'm still tweaking my sights and haven't shot for awhile. I take my second shot and I hear a loud noise that I've never heard before..............

The results....

So now I think my bow is "talking to me" and saying that, "she wants to stay". lol Needless to say, I'm extremely happy as I'm finally showing some tangible form of accomplishment in my VERY short time as an archer/bow hunter but I'm conflicted. I'm happy to have gotten this Robin Hood but now I don't know if I should keep my Strother or get the bow that I was originally yearning for?? Maybe I should just get both and move to the couch? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nock split in two.jpg (17.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Ever Robin Hood.jpg (30.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Ever Robin Hood 3.jpg (37.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Perfect Alignement.jpg (22.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Robin Hood (Shaft split).jpg (27.4 KB, 93 views)
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Default !

Not a bow, but you might call this superstitious nonsense but I've been on the point of selling a gun and had the cash almost in my hand and backed out on it at the 'last minute' because it didn't feel right . . felt like I still had more to do with it and it wasn't time.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Default New bow

I don't know what you have on your bow for accessories but maybe up grading them would be a better way to go. Later on if you do sell the bow put the old stuff on to sell and put the newer accessories on the new bow.
Just a thought, Cheers Roscoe
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Not a bow, but you might call this superstitious nonsense but I've been on the point of selling a gun and had the cash almost in my hand and backed out on it at the 'last minute' because it didn't feel right . . felt like I still had more to do with it and it wasn't time.
Did you end up shooting anything special with that gun(s) or did your hunch prove to be right in some way?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
I don't know what you have on your bow for accessories but maybe up grading them would be a better way to go. Later on if you do sell the bow put the old stuff on to sell and put the newer accessories on the new bow.
Just a thought, Cheers Roscoe
This bow has good accessories. The sight is a MBG Ascent and the rest is a limb driver, I think those are pretty good accessories and will keep them until proven otherwise. :
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM

I dont talk to my bow much....she is kinna like a wife...I call her Snow B***H !!!....cause she is nasty...she just looks at things and they die...lol..so I simply just give her a pat or an occaisinal kiss just to show here I love her...we have an understanding...he he

Neil
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I dont talk to my bow much....she is kinna like a wife...I call her Snow B***H !!!....cause she is nasty...she just looks at things and they die...lol..so I simply just give her a pat or an occaisinal kiss just to show here I love her...we have an understanding...he he

Neil
Hehehe well I am going to name my newly acquired bow Medussa after reading your quote Neil.....bought it used from here and it arrived yesterday!!! Taking it to a jedi archery master after work to get a new custom string and cable made for it and can't wait to hone my archery skills over the summer to prepare for the fall time. I followed the same method of madness that Zuludog did and wanted to start out with a more inexpensive starter kit to see if I enjoy the sport first rather than investing a pile of $ right off the bat and end up using it to collect dust. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
Hehehe well I am going to name my newly acquired bow Medussa after reading your quote Neil.....bought it used from here and it arrived yesterday!!! Taking it to a jedi archery master after work to get a new custom string and cable made for it and can't wait to hone my archery skills over the summer to prepare for the fall time. I followed the same method of madness that Zuludog did and wanted to start out with a more inexpensive starter kit to see if I enjoy the sport first rather than investing a pile of $ right off the bat and end up using it to collect dust. Have a great weekend everyone!
lol...congrads on the new bow...welcome to the dark side and prepare to be addicted ...lol

Neil
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
lol...congrads on the new bow...welcome to the dark side and prepare to be addicted ...lol

Neil
Thank you Neil and I am prepared to learn the ways of the dark side and adding another "addiction" to my evergrowing list of addictions, hahaha

Matt
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 AM

My bow talks to me! It tells me I suck!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 AM

Talk to mine every time i miss its the bows fault!!! Its not the bow but the man behind it!! Congrats on your new bowhuntin career
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Every morning when I get dressed for work. The bow is hanging there in my closet saying,"Why are you going to work again, and leaving me hanging here? You should be taking me somewhere to shoot..."
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM

...yes...it told me to stay home from work today and clean the guns....
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM

Lol. I think my creative title did it's job and got views but I think some of you only read the title and not the body of the message. Either way there has been some useful and some humorous replies.

I ended. up keeping my Strother Rush and will be using it this upcoming season. I figure if I can get my first Robin Hood with this bow it should be a good enough bow to meet my hunting needs. While it didn't actually talk to me per say it sure '' hinted'' that I should keep her. Now all I need is to come up with a cool or scary nickname for my bow.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM

I have a suggestion.... on what to call "Her" it is neither cool nor scary.....just call her "Sally"

LC
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Zulu...your right ...sorry I couldnt resist myself...lol so "Welcome to Da Hood"..congrads and awesome shooting...

your right she did talk to you..and IMHO you did the right thing...not all the latest new bows are for every shooter...She showed you she is the one..
With hunting you have to be confident and accurate with your bow...She gave you both..."shes" a sweety

BTW for a name call her "Rose" like in RUSHty Rose...lol

So beautiful but her thornes will make yopu bleed...lol

shoot straight
Neil
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have a suggestion.... on what to call "Her" it is neither cool nor scary.....just call her "Sally"

LC
Lefty, I'm not sure I get the humour?? Are you quoting Police songs?

Thanks, Neil. I was tempted to pickup that APA M6 that was for sale in the classifieds, somebody got a great deal.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM

I could be wrong but I dont think Lefty was trying to be that humorous...any "She" is mean lol

so pick a common pet name like Sally. Gertruide. or Betsy Lou whatever "She" name that Twists yer pickle...lol

Neil
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Lefty, I'm not sure I get the humour?? Are you quoting Police songs?

Thanks, Neil. I was tempted to pickup that APA M6 that was for sale in the classifieds, somebody got a great deal.
This will make it clear....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Struthers

LC
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:

LC
LOL You mean call my bow Sally "STROTHER"? My bow may be heavy but it isn't fat. lol
Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:

LC
lol....I stand corrected ..that is funny
!!!