Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Default Ryan Lake - Mikisew Sportfishing

Well I'm no Steven Noel, but while he was off chasing golden trout at Coral Lake,http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...php?t=144589my lovely wife Liz and I made a trip with www.mikisewsportfishing.com to Ryan Lake Aug. 10th - 15th. This was Liz's 4th trip up there, my 8th consecutive year with Mikisew and my 7th time to Ryan Lake.
After meeting the group we would be travelling with on their way into Loutit Lake, we boarded the Caravan at McMurray Aviation and were on our way. We flew over last year's massive Richardson Backcountry Fire

and on to Fort Chipewyan, where we stopped briefly for fuel and to pick up some propane to take up to the lake.

We were quickly back on our way, and after dropping us off quickly the others were on their way to Loutit Lake and the place was ours.

We packed away our gear in the cabin , launched a boat and were quickly into some nice walleye for supper. All in all fishing was fairly slow for the week as the winds switched from south to west to east to north but we still caught plenty to keep us happy.

(to be continued.)

Last edited by KegRiver; 09-15-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Requested by OP
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Default More from Ryan Lake

We spent the rest of the week visiting with a few of the locals,

and had a couple of groups of people pass by.

We also walked up above the small island just east of the cabin to replace the head that had fallen off of our inukshuk,

and caught plenty of other walleye.

(still more to come.)

Last edited by KegRiver; 09-15-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Requested by OP
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Last few

We enjoyed some beautiful sunrises,

and some spectacular sunsets,

and spent hours and hours jigging, trolling and enjoying the fabulous cliffs that line the shores, where every new scene is another potential jigsaw puzzle waiting to be photographed.

But alas, ever too soon, the day to leave came upon us, so we cleaned up the cabin, our ride arrived and after a stop at Loutit Lake to pick up our travelling companions we flew across the massive expanse of Lake Athabasca and were on our way home with a few walleye in tow and another set of wonderful memories to enjoy.

Once again, we had a fabulous time, as it seemed that our travelling companions did at Loutit Lake, and even though fishing was a bit slower than usual for us, (they said they had great fishing) and the weather was a bit unsettled, there is nothing to me like the experience of having this spectacular place entirely to yourself to enjoy.
My only question to you people is this. How can it be that when we arrive at this paradise, there is nobody there waiting to go home? And how can it be that when we pack up to leave, we turn the propane off and haul up the flaps on the cabin, because no one is coming in behind us either?
I cannot believe that people are not lined up to have this opportunity, and for the price of a trip to some all inclusive, you can enjoy your own little slice of heaven right here in Alberta and have it all to yourself for the duration of the stay. I love the experience, and will continue to enjoy it every year as long as I am able and can find someone that will get me there.
Once again, thanks very much to Tim at www.mikisewsportfishing.com for making it happen for us again this year and to the people at McMurray Aviation for the ride, and we can't wait to try it again next year, just make sure that there's one spot open for us to fill.
George and Liz Noel

Last edited by KegRiver; 09-15-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Requested by OP
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing!

This pic is fantastic! Great snap!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 PM

I've seen them all a dozen times, love them every time. It was really unfortunate I couldn't join you this time around, but make sure you save a spot on the plane for me next year - I know you'll be going. Until then I'll browse through the pictures of cliffs and fish and look forward to seeing it soon.

P.S. A big thanks to Keg River for taking the time to resolve the picture issue. It is much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM

looks like an awesome holiday, and some great pictures, thanks for sharing them with us!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM

I got an e-mail from Tim and things are up and running for next year. They have also added a few options for people to try if they want to try something different and it seems that they have even more things planned for the future. I can't wait for next year and another fabulous trip. Try it you might like it, I sure do! George.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Amazing sunset photo's. Thank you for sharing.

I really enjoy fly in fishing at some of the more remote northern lakes. It truely is a slice of paradise up there in the summer.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 AM

Well Aug 1 brought the start of vacation for me, and as Steven is off on another lengthy 10 day backtracking trip with story and pictures to follow I'm sure, Liz and I are beginning to pack for our annual pilgrimage to Ryan Lake. Ninth consecutive year for me and 5th for her and we can't wait! It was our 25th anniversary in May so what better way to celebrate than to make a visit to our, happy place.

Time for more of this,

and this.

Story and new pictures to follow near the end of the month.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM

spectacular pics thanks for sharing
Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Cool

Great pics thanks for sharing. ummm im a year late .
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Looks like a nice place to go relax at, any big wally's up there, or are they just all nice eaters like the ones in your pictures???
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
My only question to you people is this. How can it be that when we arrive at this paradise, there is nobody there waiting to go home? And how can it be that when we pack up to leave, we turn the propane off and haul up the flaps on the cabin, because no one is coming in behind us either?
I cannot believe that people are not lined up to have this opportunity, and for the price of a trip to some all inclusive, you can enjoy your own little slice of heaven right here in Alberta and have it all to yourself for the duration of the stay. I love the experience, and will continue to enjoy it every year as long as I am able and can find someone that will get me there.
Once again, thanks very much to Tim at www.mikisewsportfishing.com for making it happen for us again this year and to the people at McMurray Aviation for the ride, and we can't wait to try it again next year, just make sure that there's one spot open for us to fill.
George and Liz Noel

I agree! Have been up 3 times and am planning for next year. It is an amazing experience for a price that can't be beat.

And ya, a year late on this post, ha ha.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Looks like a nice place to go relax at, any big wally's up there, or are they just all nice eaters like the ones in your pictures???
We haven't seen any really big fish there, but there are loads of walleye that size to catch. The biggest walleye we've seen were 65 cm and the largest pike have been about 12 lbs. The scenery however, is spectacular as you troll or jig along the cliffs, it's so quiet that you think you've gone deaf, and to have a place like this to yourself is our kind of heaven.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Great place I was there in 2011, very nice pics .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned

The best fishing holidays I have been on have been with mikisew. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Default One more sleep!

Well, Liz and I are all packed and if we survive the apocalyptic hailstorm of doom currently rolling through northwest Edmonton, we'll be on our way to Gregoire Lake tomorrow to spend the night. Tuesday morning we'll be on our way to Fort McMurray to board a flight for Fort Chipewyan and on to Ryan Lake.
Apparently the place is vacant, and just waiting for us to arrive. We will be there for a full week and can't wait to get there. And, if the weather stays as nice as it has been for the last while up there, only one of these boats will even get wet in that time. More photos and a new story to follow when we return.
George and Liz Noel