Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Cougar in area!

I went out today to check my trailcam pics and there was a cougar on one of my cameras. . . .Yikes!! I hate those things, they could sneak up on you and you would never know it. The landowner warned me last year that he seen one but I didnt think much of it as I really didnt think a cougar would be around that area, its in parkland county. The landowner wants me to shoot it, is that legal? Id love to get rid of it but have no ideal how to go about doing it. Any suggestions? I will post the pic as soon as I can figure out how to shrink the image, if anyone is interested i could email it to them.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Sure email it to wjg990@yahoo.ca and will post it for ya.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Here is zonkers pic.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 PM

If its on private land to which you have access...good to go.
You have to notify and turn the cat over to fish and wildlife.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM

its a cat isnt it? I doubt I will ever see it. Maybe when im calling coyotes it will come in but i dont think they are that gullible
Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM

I know in the regulations it says that the landowner may kill a cougar on their own property without a license but not sure about someone else doing it for him.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM

I don't think gullible is the right word.. was calling for wolves 3 years ago up in 326 with 2 clients and had 2 cats come in on us .. spotted the first one at 6 yds.. we were all sitting together on the ground and she wouldn't leave even after we stood up , after a rock in the head and a 2 minute stare down she finally left..the other was a big male and we didn't see him behind us at about the same distance , he spooked and left when we were talking to the female .. the outfitter waiting at the truck saw him .. and he came back out of the trees when we got to the truck and went right to the spot we had called from , could care less we were there.. if you are going to call and this a BIG IF.. do it from a tree and with backup if possible.. I'd never had this problem before and don't care for it again..
Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I don't think gullible is the right word.. was calling for wolves 3 years ago up in 326 with 2 clients and had 2 cats come in on us .. spotted the first one at 6 yds.. we were all sitting together on the ground and she wouldn't leave even after we stood up , after a rock in the head and a 2 minute stare down she finally left..the other was a big male and we didn't see him behind us at about the same distance , he spooked and left when we were talking to the female .. the outfitter waiting at the truck saw him .. and he came back out of the trees when we got to the truck and went right to the spot we had called from , could care less we were there.. if you are going to call and this a BIG IF.. do it from a tree and with backup if possible.. I'd never had this problem before and don't care for it again..
Thanks thats good to know. Im usually on the field facing the bush when I call
Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

may just be how the pic looks but compared to the trees and the underbrush it looks pretty tall for a cougar.
SG
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
may just be how the pic looks but compared to the trees and the underbrush it looks pretty tall for a cougar.
SG
Do you think sheep? I know the pic isnt great, but I thought the tail was a dead give away... and the neck looks to long to be a coyote. But honestly I cant say 100% that it is a cat. hopefully i get another pic
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
Do you think sheep? I know the pic isnt great, but I thought the tail was a dead give away... and the neck looks to long to be a coyote. But honestly I cant say 100% that it is a cat. hopefully i get another pic
No I agree it does look like a cats tail but just looking at the right front fore leg it kinda looks long for a cat.
Like I said could just be the way the pic looks.
SG
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Don't know if my pm went thru, but I'm leaning more towards a coyote than a cat .. tail lacks the "swoop" of a cat and Ithink Ican make out a pointy nose .. careful..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Don't know if my pm went thru, but I'm leaning more towards a coyote than a cat .. tail lacks the "swoop" of a cat and Ithink Ican make out a pointy nose .. careful..
I blew it up and cleaned it up some in picasa and it is a yote you can definately see the nose of the yote and sharp ears and the tail of a coyote. would not be worried at all about this one as he is a yote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Yes, Trav beat me to it but,
I was goiong to say I thought I could
make out a bit of a nose (dog type) aswell.
The tail throw's ya off tho. .
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM

I would say its a cougar but the tail and the face kind of throws it off. I would notify the F&W to see what they say.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Cat forsure, I think the part of the '' mouth '' that's throwing everyone of, is actually the bush in the backround creating the illusion of a long snout. The arch and contures of the back also suggest feline, not canine.JMO.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Cat forsure, I think the part of the '' mouth '' that's throwing everyone of, is actually the bush in the backround creating the illusion of a long snout. The arch and contures of the back also suggest feline, not canine.JMO.
I think it a cat too. . . .if you look at the distance between the nose and where the front leg joins the body, its too long to be a dog
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
I think it a cat too. . . .if you look at the distance between the nose and where the front leg joins the body, its too long to be a dog
I put it on Picasa and zoomed it 300% it is a dog of some kind you can make out the eyes and nose and ears of a dog, not the flat face of a cat.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM

where abouts in parkland is this? i live along the river valley near devon and we always get cougars, bears and old wolves. The cougar killed a couple cows before f&w killed it.