Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail77 View Post
We were around Woking in mid September and it was quiet. I think it was due to the heat, but we might have been late.
i had buddies in that area and my party was near silver valley and all was quiet except the hunters....was tough hunting in that heat...the only i elk i heard bugling was inside a 12 foot fence LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
We were around Woking in mid September and it was quiet. I think it was due to the heat, but we might have been late.
It was brutally hot down south last year during the same time, and we were the only ones bugling, but we did manage to get a few young bulls to come in, even though we never received an answer.

Just because you don't get a response, it does not mean there isn't an elk coming to take a look.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM

I managed to call one in.....he was fairly fat and was wearing a camo hat. LOL.......not sure how many points he had. He didn't stick around long enough for me to count...hahaha
Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I managed to call one in.....he was fairly fat and was wearing a camo hat. LOL.......not sure how many points he had. He didn't stick around long enough for me to count...hahaha
LMAO

been there...done that
Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Default The heat

Dont let the heat bother you ive called in a number of bulls when it was above 25 degrees.The main reason guys dont hear the bulls bugling is beacause there not on them.Im not sure if any serious elk hunters agree or not but 85 percent of my success is beacause of scouting nowing were they are..The last three bulls ive killed have been during the last week of august.With that being said though id say the best time to get it done would be beetween sept 7to the 16.Cow calls are the best but dont forget your bugle ive had bulls not care one bit about the cow calls then come runnig into a bugle.Give him what ever he wants every situation is different.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Last September 17 saw us hunting Elk in 30 +degree centigrade and they were responding to bugling and cow calling.
First day we had 2 spikers checking us out at 30 yards...and second day my friend from Poland that I hosted connected to 6x6 bull charging us provoked by bugle and cow call...
The next day my son Michael shot his first Bull and it was nice 6x6...responding to calls, than I had a chance at small 5x5 coming to bugling and the last day of hunting I passed on nice 6x4 at broadside at 20 y as we had enough elk and cooler that we rented was full...
I am not experienced Elk hunter but first of mine I shot with an arrow was at 18 yards from a tree stand.
I think that they go in rut regardless of temperature but rather based on time.
They are more vocal if there is cold spell but we will be there this year again on opening day regardless of the weather .Hoping for the best... for all of us elk hunters. Bugle of wild Elk... I am addicted...
Andrew