Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Default SSr today

Went down to my regular spot today only to find it packed with people. Decided to go for a little walk which turned into a 30min hike! Ran into a golden eagle along the way( never realized how huge they are!) finally made it to a spot that looked deep and slower paced. For those who know the river well my spot was right across from the red car someone pushed of the coulee cliff. Started off bait chucking and caught 4 Goldeye a couple suckers and quite a few walleye. About 1hr in a hooked into something big. I thought for sure it was a sturgeon but when i finally got it in. It was my pb walleye yet 28" with a 14" girth! I decided to put on a crankbait and caught another 6 walleye and a sauger- another first for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Sounds like a blast. Its always nice finding a new spot that produces fish. I have personally only caught a few walleye on a crankbait in the NSR. Usually just chuck some bait, but thats never as fun as casting & retrieving!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Sounds like a good day for sure. How is the water clarity? Been sitting at the mouth of the Oldman all day with no fish, muddy as chocolate milk but its dropping pretty quick so it should clear up this week again.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Nice work Adam, pays to venture sometimes!
Sounds like a great day!
I...on the other hand...had an hr to kill this morn so I too jumped down to the riv just in town here. Nothing taking on the minnows so I chucked on worm halves (someone generously left an unopened bag of dew worms-along with a bunch of empty cans grr) and caught 3 whitefish in about 10 min! All about the size of my middle finger hahaha. O well, beats the skunk hah!

Congrats on the fishfilled day!

WC- water clarity is chocolate milk. Can't see nuttin.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 AM

couple more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (41).jpg (30.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM

finder:thats odd that they were not biting on minnows, thats all i was using.
wc:as stated above the water down here is still murkey and lots of floating brown sh!t

Anyone else find theres a lot less snaggs after the flood?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM

wheres the 14" girthy walleye??
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
Went down to my regular spot today only to find it packed with people. Decided to go for a little walk which turned into a 30min hike! Ran into a golden eagle along the way( never realized how huge they are!) finally made it to a spot that looked deep and slower paced. For those who know the river well my spot was right across from the red car someone pushed of the coulee cliff. Started off bait chucking and caught 4 Goldeye a couple suckers and quite a few walleye. About 1hr in a hooked into something big. I thought for sure it was a sturgeon but when i finally got it in. It was my pb walleye yet 28" with a 14" girth! I decided to put on a crankbait and caught another 6 walleye and a sauger- another first for me!
That spot is a joke now. I loved it there but it's always packed now. Plus we were pulling in sturgeon all the time from there since the flood but we don't go back much now. We go round the corner from there and it's nowhere near as good. We tried a new spot not far away yesterday and seemed to catch a lot but nothing big or new for us
Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
finder:thats odd that they were not biting on minnows, thats all i was using.
wc:as stated above the water down here is still murkey and lots of floating brown sh!t

Anyone else find theres a lot less snaggs after the flood?
I wasn't at the greatest spot but it produces from time to time. It's close and the scenery is great. A local eagle lives there, we watch each other fish. Hadn't been there since the flood so thought I'd take a peek. Last time was full of goldeye, this time whitefish. Sometimes Walters. And occasionally sturgies or pike. It's ever changing I guess, and quite shallow. I likey. I'll generally try both minnows and wormies, and whatever works I'll use.

Snags...have not been snagged before or since the flood this year, nothing significant anyway. Knock on wood.