Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Default MSR stove problem.

Got a bit of a head scratcher here, my MSR Dragonfly recently quit working. I went through the stove, cleaned jets etc and it still wouldnt work.

Tryed it with a different pump and it works, so a pump problem then. The pump makes pressure, does not leak anywhere, but does not let fuel through to the stove. I took the filters out and still cant get any fuel through, so I took the pump apart... no blockages or other obvious problems that I can see.

So at this point I'm wondering if its got something to do with the little check valve thing at the main valve, but there really doesnt seem like there is too much to go wrong there. I believe hooking up the stove unseats it, and it seats when the stove is disconnected?

Anyone ever dealt with this problem before? Any advice for me?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:06 PM

If I remember correctly there are 2 O rings inside the valve on the Dragonfly stoves. Your bottom o ring may be compressed or too dry to move properly.

This video explains the maintenance pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP14zKh9kQc

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-18-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If I remember correctly there are 2 O rings inside the valve on the Dragonfly stoves. Your bottom o ring may be compressed or too dry to move properly.

This video explains the maintenance pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP14zKh9kQc
If I pressure up the bottle, open the valve on the pump without hooking up the stove, and manually depress the check valve with a small screw driver, I get some hissing but very little fuel. At this point I believe the stove itself is fine. We ran it on a different pump and it worked.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If I pressure up the bottle, open the valve on the pump without hooking up the stove, and manually depress the check valve with a small screw driver, I get some hissing but very little fuel. At this point I believe the stove itself is fine. We ran it on a different pump and it worked.
Check part "E" on this diagram, the o rings I am referring to are in the pump.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Thanks Ghost guy, but I guess my problem is solved in a way. I had the pump apart on the kitchen counter, turned my back for a second and somebody kindly knocked a bunch of the parts off the counter... and down the register

Did some fishing without much success so I think I'll need to get a new pump now.